Author Topic: 2013 Kan-U-Wyco - March 9th  (Read 6494 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Kan-U-Wyco - March 9th
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
On the other hand, if someone did get struck by lightning, since it is a KCFDC event, insurance would have covered any damages . . .

What?  How do you think that insurance would cover negligent TD by putting people at risk?  The insurance coverage is for items that are negligent that should be controlled by the members of the club.  It doesn't cover things along these lines.  The notion of putting people out there in harms way would make the TD negligent, not the KCFDC or the P&R, and thus would have Scott in trouble.

He made the right choice clearly.  Kevin, suck it up bud, it is a one tourney C tier in KS in March.....be glad you made it home safely as did everyone else and there were no issues on the course.  We have had to call events short due to weather in the past, and it will happen in the future........the weather changes quickly, it is way better to be safe than to be the one who witnessed a person dying on the course because "we should finish don't you think" mentality took control over the event.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
it is a one tourney C tier in KS in March

It's a B-Tier.

Just being devils advocate here, but if we all have this notion of getting hurt why don't we just stay home, and never go outside in the first place? Why dont we just live our lives in a bubble?? Also, if the show went on you dont have to keep playing. :D

Alas, I agree though. I was ready to go home anyway.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
I once was playing Belmont DGC in Dayton, OH and a storm was rolling in.  I was there for business and it was the only chance I was going to get to play.  It was in the summer and I decided I didn't care if I was going to wet so I headed out and got started.  I made it to hole 12 or 13, and then all hell broke lose.  The wind was so bad and it was raining so hard that I couldn't even tell which direction to head back to my car.  Since I had never played this course and couldn't see a thing, it took me probably 15 minutes to find my way back to my car.  There were several lightning strikes very close and I wouldn't have been surprised if it started hailing (it didn't).  I thought to myself "well that was dumb" and was thankful I made it back to my car in one piece. Weather is very unpredictable and I personally think it was the right call.  I don't think there was enough daylight to complete the round.  Especially if it was stopped due to lightning and then wait a half hour and restarted again.  Now I know several of us were on the far side and couldn't hear the horn and kept playing through and didn't wait the half hour.  We might have been able to finish the round, but I know we still had 6 holes to play at 5:15/5:30 pm (when we finally stopped).  The first round took us a lilttle over 3.5 hours to play in much easier conditions, which means if we played the final 1/3 of the course at the same rate it would have taken an hour and 15 minutes.  I'm guessing in those conditions it would have taken us at least an hour and half if not 2 hours and I'm pretty sure would have been very, very dark.       

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:02 AM »
had some friends at an ultimate tourney back in the nineties in nashville or memphis. play had been suspended to let the weather pass. the all clear was given by the director, play resumed and the storm came back so fast most of the players didn't have time to run for cover. one guy had a "ball of fire come out of him"; killed him where he stood. another girl spent the better part of six months in a coma, pregnant at first. eventually she was moved to assisted living.
the lucky many were only blown off their feet with a newfound appreciation for lightning. made me a believer as well. don't get me started on wolves.

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2013, 01:20:25 PM »
Had a terrible dream saturday afternoon. Was playing in a cold rain, slippin and sliding, couldn't keep my discs dry. Seemed like i was playing in a crazy fog. Dreamt that i took a 10, then a few holes later an 8. Can't remember for sure, Man...what a terrible dream.
Whew...Glad none of that actually happened.
Cooter was here.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »
"one guy had a "ball of fire come out of him"; killed him where he stood"

RIP shawn adams of chattanooga, 4-11-94
espouse elucidation

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
Wow! I guess the toungue in cheek comments out shadowed the props to Scott and the smiley faces and what I thought was obvious obsurdity.  To be perfectly clear, I was trying to be humorous. I really enjoy jack's (and others) humor here and thought he might get mine. I will resrain myself from any further attempts.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »
Tough crowd, Harold.  I'll hold on to my waterboarding jokes as well.
PDGA# 51376

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »
  To be perfectly clear, I was trying to be humorous.

not to often to you get someone trying to be an arm bone...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...