Author Topic: Liberty, MO.  (Read 6920 times)

biscuit

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Liberty, MO.
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:55:40 AM »
Has anyone seen this yet?

From the City of Liberty's website:

http://www.ci.liberty.mo.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2027

Disc golf course coming to Stocksdale Park

Disc golf is one of the fastest growing sports, requires very little equipment, and is suited to a wide variety of fitness levels. In the next year, the Liberty community will be able to enjoy a round in Stocksdale Park.

A new Parks Partners Program is designed to assist the Parks Division in developing new amenities by partnering with local businesses. In the case of the disc golf course project, interested local businesses can sponsor a hole for $500, which is roughly the cost to construct a tee box and install the basket that serves as a hole for the FrisbeeŽ. Sponsors will be recognized on a sign at the tee box for their partnership in the project.

Local disc golf enthusiasts have assisted Liberty Parks and Recreation in the design of the course. Construction is expected to begin in the late spring. Anyone interested in sponsoring a hole along the course should email Chris Wilson - cwilson@ci.liberty.mo.us.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:15:56 AM by Biscuit »
KCFDC#1377
PDGA#67008

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Liberty, MO.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »
"requires very little equipment"

Whoa - nobody told me that.  Why do I have 100 discs and 3 bags?
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
"requires very little equipment"

Whoa - nobody told me that.  Why do I have 100 discs and 3 bags?

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Obviously thewriter has never seen my garage  ::)
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
Just because us addicts have a lot of equipment, it is not required. Still only 1 disc needed to play.  8)

Love the idea of more courses in the northland.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

ReTee

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
Now if we could just get Grandview or Belton to follow suit, I might be able to get out and play more often with my "very little equipment" which is growing steadily every month it seems.  As it is, I have to drive almost 30 mins to reach any course around.  Southern Grandview is a black hole for disc golfers.  And putting a new course in Liberty won't help. (Not that I won't still make the drive to try it out.)
Brian Collier

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
Now if we could just get Grandview or Belton to follow suit

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PDGA#52809

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
Now if we could just get Grandview or Belton to follow suit, I might be able to get out and play more often with my "very little equipment" which is growing steadily every month it seems.  As it is, I have to drive almost 30 mins to reach any course around.  Southern Grandview is a black hole for disc golfers.  And putting a new course in Liberty won't help. (Not that I won't still make the drive to try it out.)

Hey ReTee,

What about Swope...I can get to Swope in about 15 minutes from the Main Street exit of 71 Hwy in Grandview.  Now, granted, that is with light to moderate traffic...heavier traffic would be longer.

Also, Raytown is going to have a DG complex coming soon, so that should be easy to get to as well.  At least that is the rumor   8)
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »
Isn't P.Hill fairly close to Belton?
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

ReTee

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
Well, now that I've highjacked the thread, I may as well respond.  :) 

Yeah, Swope is between 20 and 25mins on average.  But I rounded up.  I like to think in terms of quarter hours for drive times.  I'm weird, I know.   And P-Hill is even closer to 30mins from 71(I49)/150 which is essentially where I start from.  There's just no real direct route to get there from the NW.  The lake being there probably has something to do with that.  I could probably get to both those courses faster, but I have an aversion to speeding tickets.

As for the Raytown course rumors, that'd be nice, but rumors have been all I found down here.  I've heard rumors of a Raymore course in the works and also rumors of a Belton course in the works.  Not seen anything moving on those, or I'd volunteer for work days to make it happen.

Where I think the best place for a majors-quality course would be Longview Lake.  All sorts of terrain, trees, trails and fingerlets of water to throw over, but if a course were possible there, surely someone would have made that happen by now.
Brian Collier

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
Southern Grandview is a black hole for everyone :\
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »
First, way to go Liberty. 

I am working on a course in Raymore.  We are targeting 2014 for funding/installation, but as these things go it could be delayed or may not happen.  However, I very optimistic that we will move forward.  I also have heard of a joint project between Belton school district and Belton Parks & Rec department for another course.  I believe that one is part of a grant, but I haven't heard the details lately.  ReTee, do you live in Grandview or Belton?  I can give you some advice as to how go about asking for a course or get the ball rolling in your community.  Just give me a shout, we can meet up to play a round and talk about it. 

Kelly Markum

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
Southern Grandview is a black hole for everyone :\

HAAA!
"You really can sing and dance! " -- Whiskey

ReTee

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
ReTee, do you live in Grandview or Belton?  I can give you some advice as to how go about asking for a course or get the ball rolling in your community.  Just give me a shout, we can meet up to play a round and talk about it.

Eric, I'm Brian Collier; Josh's friend.  I live just north of the Grandview/Belton line (155th st)  So I'm still in Grandview, residentially speaking.
Brian Collier

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
hey Brian, did you have fun at the icebowl.  I thought it might be someone I knew, just didn't know your handle on here.  We'll talk some time soon. 

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
Brian, if you need some help working over city hall I live in north Grandview and have thought that Longview would be a perfect area, topography and vegetation wise.
PDGA#52809