Author Topic: Liberty, MO.  (Read 7348 times)

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: Liberty, MO.
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »
6 tee pads left to be constructed.  They were the more difficult ones on slopes, in woods, tree stumps in way etc. lots of mowing now with all the rain so they are spread thin with other responsibilities.   

Sometime this summer it should be open.

Are tee signs and benches part of the initial rollout?

Thanks John! Keep on ROC'n !!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
tee signs yes.  benches i am not sure, but we have talked about it.  they have some old metal bencheds dumped there onsite.  they only need  new wood seats added.  they still have concrete slab attached.  i believe i counted around 6 which would be a welcome addition. 

justactnormal

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 03:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the hard work John.  This should be really nice when done.  Tee signs are going to be crucial.  Even though I walked it last year, I forgot what was where and got all turned around.  It looks different than it did last summer.

I went out this past Saturday and tagged along with a group of random kids that said that they heard the course was supposed to open June 1st. It was fun even though we couldn't find our way around very well.

Head's up to anyone that does venture out there.... Poison Ivy is everywhere it could possibly be.  Along every path and pad in the woods and in and around all the treelines.  Basically everywhere that's not in the full sun.  I think I saw the biggest patch of shrub type growth around  what will be 18 that I've ever seen.  Almost hip high there and creeping around every path in the woods.   I've got to assume that control measures will be put in place, no?

I saw two yellow baskets, but mostly blue.  Are the blue going to be the course baskets and yellow warm-ups?

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 03:32:14 PM »
Hope John doesn't mind that I chime in here.  The yellow baskets are actually the "gold" placements.  Normal holes will play to blue pins, but for those that want to stretch the course out a bit, the gold basket may be used.  There will be 8 gold baskets total on the course, and one of them will be used for two separate holes.  This makes for 9 total holes that will have a "gold" placements available.  If I remember correctly, the holes with "gold" placements are as follows:  3, 5, 6, 8 (same as #3), 10, 12, 16 & 18.  My favorite hole with the gold placement will be hole #5.  It's a crush turnover shot followed by another 300+ feet to the basket from the landing area - AWESOME.  Can't wait for this course to be done.  And if I know John, the poison ivy will be taken care of in due time.  The course isn't complete and manicured yet, just needs some time and TLC.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

justactnormal

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »
Aha, that helps.

It was tough to figure out when I was out there.

Earlier in the post, I believe, John said 6 pads left to be put in.  Any idea which pads/pins are in place now?  If I knew that, it's be possible to hop/skip around and play the holes that are in place.  No need to worry about there not being a pad poured if there's a basket to throw to.

Muchas Gracias.

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
Is the new liberty course open for play yet?  Haven't heard anything on here lately about it. Someone has to know. Whats the word. Thanxs
Steve keithley

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »
Not open yet.  They have two workers assigned to finish the last few things, but those two workers were pulled off the course.  Folks have to be patient.  Disc golf is high on all of our priorities, but often times the park departments have several projects going on, get pulled to help with the city workers, mowing etc and disc golf gets pushed back.  Courses that require work are usually worth the wait and they are getting close if the 2 workers do not get pulled  in the next couple weeks.  Meaning..... course may not have all amenities in place, but baskets and pads are likely to be installed soon.

They are working really hard and  if you are out there playing some of the holes and see Tom and Nick from the Liberty P&R  working, let em know how much you appreciate their hard work.   

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »
Thanks for the info John. 
Steve keithley

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
i was out today doing some cutting and ran into the crew chief for the parks dept.  He is getting pulled after this week on the course to work on another project so it will likely be longer than the two weeks i posted earlier. 

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Although the course will not officially open until  Oct, all 18 blue baskets are now in.   But there are still 6 long pads not finished on holes 2,3, 7, 8, 12, and 14.  One gold basket is still not installed on hole 12.  Still making a couple minor tweaks with OB mowing on holes 10 and 18 Gold.  However, rest of the course is mowed out nice and wide and  losing discs in tall grass should not be a problem.  The course looks amazing and was sprayed for ivy 2 times recently.  The ivy is still noticeable in spots but the mowing and spraying has helped to knock it down.  Grass is also growing nicely in disturbed areas.  If you happened to see this park before all the work, you will be impressed with the transformation.

Tom and Nick from the parks dept have been working extremely hard and they are both getting the disc bug.  I gave them 5 discs a couple weeks ago and they test out the holes regularly.  After they throw(good or bad) they take notes on areas where they went in to that need more brush hogging/mowing.  It has been extremely fun working alongside these guys this summer.  It took them very little time to understand what we want the course to look like.  We have been lucky to have a couple park workers who 100% embrace the project and sport. Below is an email link in case you want to send the parks dept a note thanking them for their effort, time and resources dedicated to this project.

parks@ci.liberty.mo.us

John

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Awesome!! I went out a few weeks ago just to mess around its a nice course they did a hell of a job lost a couple discs but that's what I get for playing a unfinished course lol... If anyone sees my pro Starfire from the lions den open from 05 I would be very great full to get it back...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

GMattoon

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
My son and I played this course twice Saturday, and once Sunday.  This will probably quickly become my favorite course.  I love the layout.  Nice mix of trees, open shots, elevation changes.  Really like having Gold pins so you can mix it up.  Great design, John.

tmattoon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
I made a rough map of the course so it'd be easier to get around but I counted 19 holes out there. Also, some long pads and one gold basket are not in yet I believe.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
Hey Tyler,

You've combined hole 6 into two holes.  All three of those baskets are for the same hole (two blue and one gold).  The pin that is in the tree stump has to stay put, so that's why it is confusing.  Hole 6 is a public par 5 and pro par 4 to the gold pin. 

Also, a majority of the holes have two blue pin placements.  John may have a better map that he can post on here at his convenience, but the one you posted does show the correct general flow (with the exception of hole 6). 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:45:28 AM by jhinck2 »
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Bill the TD

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
I am excited about the new course but do we have an address or an updated map yet?