Author Topic: Crestview got jacked  (Read 1291 times)

superq

Crestview got jacked
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:24:53 AM »
Someone decided they needed basket nine worse than we did and took the liberty of removing it from crestview yesterday.  We are looking into our options right now.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Crestview got jacked
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
that hurts.  was it locked down?

i saw in the past a couple weren't locked.

east topeka dirtbags

superq

Crestview got jacked
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 01:40:42 PM »
yea I went through a few months ago and bought brand new keyed alike locks out of my cash and had every pin on that sucka locked down.  looks like they bent the bolt in the pole to get it loose, chalk one up for poor security though we will be changing the sleeve set up very soon.  We are actually having a club vote tonight to decide what to do.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Crestview got jacked
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:04:15 PM »
Hey Quinten,
Is Chris Breit still involved/playing over there? tell him I said hey next time ya see him.

superq

Crestview got jacked
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 07:49:55 AM »
that guy lives and plays in Lawrence but I will pass it on.

superq

Crestview got jacked
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 07:29:58 AM »
The club met and voted and decided to remove the baskets from crestview until an agrement with the city can be made. Below is a copy of the letter sent to the parks and rec department.

July 13, 2006

City of Topeka
Parks and Recreation
215 SE 7th St
Topeka, Kansas 66603

Disc golf has existed at Crestview Park since 1978.  What started out as a basic nine hole course with natural tee pads, has been continuously upgraded to keep up with the current disc technology and participant safety.  All of which has been completed, over the last 18 years, through the generosity and time of the Dawn to Dusk Disc Club.  The original baskets were either replaced or retrofitted to current specifications and nine more baskets were added to the course.  Not to mention the ones that have been stolen over the past few years, the rising popularity of the sport seems to have its' price.

Disc golf is enjoyed by many year round, during the warmer months of the year there are scores of players each day.  You see young parents with strollers, groups of kids, seniors and couples alike that enjoy this life time sport that requires little investment nor an extended length of time to enjoy.

The club is grateful for the Parks & Recs' frequent mowing of the course,
It greatly adds to the playability, enjoyment and overall beauty of such a wonderful park.  However, it is frustrating to look at other improvements that have occurred over the years costing hundreds of thousands of dollars for things such as skate parks and play equipment that typically has much less public usage.

The Dawn to Dusk Disc Golf Club has financed the materials and equipment to make the sport possible at Crestview Park. The club has purchased baskets, tee signs, benches, notice board, and tee pads. From 1978 to the present, DDDC club members have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours volunteer time to establish and maintain the park; however, the equipment at the Crestview is now in disrepair and in need of replacement.

This last event has finally prompted the club to request the City to commitment to keeping Crestview Park as viable disc golf location.  Last Monday, another basket was stolen from the course. This marks the second basket theft in two years. Disc golf baskets are expensive, costing almost $400 per basket. The earlier basket theft was replaced with a loaner from a club member; this recourse is no longer available to the club. In addition, the club’s general fund cannot afford to replace the basket. As a related problem, the manufacturers of the existing baskets have long since gone out of business, so we are unable to obtain matching equipment. As a consequence, the club has removed the baskets from Crestview until we can resolve these financial and security issues.

We would like to work with the City to forge a formal plan to renovate the course. The equipment and materials replacement needs follow:

1. New baskets for Crestview - Eighteen (18) new baskets can be purchased from Innova Disc sports for approximately $6,000.
2. New locking sleeves for Crestview - New sleeves and locks can be purchased for under $1,000.
3. New concrete tee pads for Crestview -Estimated cost of $1,500, depending on the City's ability to achieve economies
4. New Tee signs for Crestview - New tee signs can be purchased for under $1,500.

The Dawn to Dusk Disc Golf Club is willing to help with as much of the expenses as possible, although our general fund is only $700 at present. The club will supply all the labor to install the course equipment, including digging holes for the new sleeves, securing them with concrete, assembling and installing the new baskets, and building forms and smoothing tee pads.

It does not seem unreasonable to ask the City to assist with improvements that keep the park safe and give children and adults an activity to do outdoors.

Sincerely,

Quinten Street
President
Dawn to Dusk Disc Golf Club
785-383-2469

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Crestview got jacked
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 07:55:28 AM »
I think that you are sending the wrong message to the P&R.  I think that you need to TALK with them prior to moving the baskets, and develop a game plan.  To just remove the baskets because one was stolen is not fair to all the people that play.  Putting a sign up that says that the basket was stolen on this hole would be better.  The tone in the letter does not exactly make a warm and fuzzy appearance to the P&R as well.

The land that you are playing is the P&R's, I undeerstand that yours and many other lives have been spent there, but you need to have that dialogue with the P&R so that this does not go generally into the wrong hands, and feel as though you are threating them.  I would spend some time talking with the person in charge of the park first then see what action plan you can put together.

I would also suggest if funding is that tight to have a course fund-raising event to give the city some matching funds and see if that would help show that you want to be a part of the solution, and not just asking for money.  Some departments have $$ others don't, if you could work on a game plan to make it so that they look as though they are not doing it alone, but partnering up with a good local organization that cares should go much further than just saying the city should pay.

Just my thoughts, but any basket thieve deserves to have thier thumbs cut off in my book.

Best of luck.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

superq

Crestview got jacked
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 09:25:46 AM »
I should have given more background on this.  for the last 5 years at least the club has worked with the parks to get new baskets, this year (actually around september last year) I started meeting with and discussing with the parks people and got great response.  at the begining of the summer we got "you will have 18 new baskets this year" from the department manager.  A few weeks later it was  "we may only be able to get 9 this year and 9 next year" and a few weeks ago it had changed to " we may be able to get 9 sometime next year"  when we had the basket stolen and they were not able to come up with a plan for getting it replaced the club decided that this was the best option.  

I have been in the managers office 5-10 times in the last 10 months we have gone over and over this and have been as accomodating as we could be we have been patient ( 15 years is a long time to wait for a little park help)  We have done it ourselvs, If people call the parks department perhaps they will begin to see the value that the course provides.  I know the department monitors the levels of activity in the parks so seeing a park that is normally full of people empty will still have an effect.

Time will tell if the correct decision was made.

superq

Crestview got jacked
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 07:28:28 AM »
UPDATE

We pulled the baskets last thursday evening and sent an e-mail to the parks department that night.  I recieved a phone call Friday morning at 9am from the Director of the department.  He was completley unaware of what wa sgoing on with disc golf.  It appears that the person we had been working with was not trying to do anything with decisions that were to big for him to make, so that was identified as a big problem and they are resolving it.  The city is working on a plan to replace the baskets in "as short a time frame as possible"

As a good faith gesture on our part we replaced the baskets at Crestview and installed a replacement for number 9 so once again crestview has all 18 baskets in the ground.

wlsmoku

Crestview got jacked
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 09:06:27 PM »
how frustrating - it's things like this that make me hate people :evil: