Author Topic: Lakeside Hills  (Read 1974 times)

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Lakeside Hills
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Is there a new course in the works? I haven't seen posts like these for tee boxes before.
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

joots

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeside Hills
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
Where is this at?  Just kinda curious.
Boom goes the Dynamite!

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »
Is it a secret?  Maybe I shouldn't tell. Next to a lake where a old ball golf course used to be.  I have always thought it would be a great place to put one.
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

mikedopen

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
Shhhhhhh!! ;)
Mike D

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:42:53 AM »
Can't keep anything a secret around this group of golfers!!

Thanks to Tom Butler for all the time, effort, energy and planning to make this course happen!!!  18 holes of beauty!!  Tom has worked to no end to make this dream a reality...with the help of his tiny flocking of friendly birds.

Tees are marked but pins are still in his garage being built....hopefully get the pins poured over the next week or so and have a playable course soon.

Please be patient and stay clear until pins are in....we don't need people stepping in holes out there before we even get a course.

Also....the same rules apply out there as at PC....NO ALCOHOL, DOGS ON LEASHES and be sure to pack out what you pack in because there are no trash cans yet.

Once again....TOM BUTLER IS THE MAN and will make an official announcement when the course is officially open.

Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
Also...big thanks to Olathe Parks & Rec....they have footed the bill for pretty much the entire project AGAIN!!  So complain about JoCo all you want.....they are awsome for doing all they do for us golfers!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:03:38 AM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »
Locals are willing to pitch in some labor. Just let us know.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »
Where
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
SE corner of Olathe Lake...

https://www.facebook.com/LakesideHillsDiscGolf?ref=stream#!/LakesideHillsDiscGolf
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »
Thanks Olathe
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »
I first asked the City to consider putting a course in at Olathe lake in 2001, shortly after they closed down Lakeside Hills Public Golf Course. In 2007 they asked me to prepare do a design, which I did, and presented them a drawing. They mulled it over a few months and came back with "we like the idea, but we can't afford to keep it mowed". Jumping ahead to the fall of 2011, when I presented the Prairie Center course modification plan to them, I again mentioned Lakeside Hills. Again they asked me to prepare a design, but on a totally different part of the 100 acre tract they have there. So, my 2007 design was scrapped, and a new design was done. I presented the design, but since I used 55 acres instead of the 44 they wanted me to use, it was rejected, and I went back to the drawing board, and back to walk  and re-walk, and walk the land some more. Based on where they wanted me to have the main parking, and holes 1, 9, 10, and 18, the 44 acres available, and the terrain, I came up with a design which, after being looked at closely by the City at many different levels, has been accepted.  :)

I'm sure there will be critiscm of the layout, and there may be accolades as well, but after spending over 250 hours walking the land, and studying the aerials, along with meeting the City's wishes on size and the parking areas, I know it is as good a tract as possible. The first pin placements going in will for the most part be the long pins, so don't get discouraged and think it plays too hard at first. We will eventually get in more birdy and ACE placements. In the longs I envision it being a par 56, playing at approximately 7000'. There are a couple of holes with some woods, a couple of holes with big downhills, a couple of blind uphills (which I hate), and a few big open bomber holes too. The course sits on the South end of Lake Olathe, and on a few of the hilltop holes will have some beautiful views of the lake.

The baskets are Innova Pro 28's, yellow. We hope to have them planted in the next week or two. The tee boxes will be natural fior a few months to allow for final choice of location. The City made up some sweet temprary tee markers which I can move pretty easily. The 5' x 12' concrete tees should be constructed by early Summer.

I plan on playing KCFDC league out there this Summer, but haven't decided if we will rotate between PC and Lakeside, or just always be at the Lake. It's cool that Lakeside Hills is only about 2 miles from Prairie Center.
It will take time for this tract to develop and mature and to get the amenities we want, but we have occupied the land for now.

Please watch here on the forum or on the Lakeside Hills facebook page for updates and requests for volunteer labor.

There have been many people behind the scenes helping me with this endeavor, and I want to recognize some of them here. First and foremost I want all to know that we wouldn't be out on this awesome tract without the support, encouragement, and labor of Cindy. The other major contributors are Andy Lewis, Dean Uhlman, Brian Taylor (the hardest worker), Brain Corneilius, Mark Albers, Mike Davis, and from the City P & R department, Johnny Brokus and Paul Hecker.

Another cool place to play. CAN YOU DIG IT? I KNOW WE WILL!  8)

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
You're so cool Tom. There's no stopping KC disc golf, we have a course for every man, woman, and child!

THANKS to all the volunteers putting in the hours. It makes the world go round. Cant wait to play LH!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »
Tom (and everyone else), you're a machine!  Thanks for all the effort and hard work out there guys!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
Can we get our own discussion thread now?  Workdays coming up!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word