Author Topic: Do you play any of the Leagues?  (Read 1704 times)

Warren

Do you play any of the Leagues?
« on: July 12, 2006, 05:13:09 PM »
Just curious what percent of forum readers play leagues vs. informal recreational play.  Are there a bunch of intermediate disc golfers in the KC area that for some reason don't want to play league nights?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:37:26 PM »
i'd like to play, but i'm a beginner and don't have the time after work to get out to rosedale from lee's summit for the beginner's league..

i'm not against competing with much better players, but i'd like to feel like i'm going to be a little bit competitive as opposed to feeling like i'm just handing money to the best open players because not enough beginners showed up to warrant an intermediate class

edit to add-i do play recreationally a few times a week, usually swope and i've got a basket that i tote around to LS parks for makeshift rounds

bp

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »
playing against better players only gives you ideas on how to play better, and improve your own game.  Leagues are a great way to cheaply improve your game, find people that will give you pointers, and meet some new great golfers.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:40:05 AM »
i know it would make me better, playing better players never hurts

i guess i just wanna figure some stuff out for myself before i go out and try to actually compete

bp

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:46:17 AM »
That is also why you play in the advanced divisions at league...most everyone there is still in the learning process.

Also if you don't think you are skilled enough for that, Prairie Center Monday night league has a handicap you play against...so it's really just a competition against yourself to get better.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:30:41 AM »
well i've only played leage a few times and every time i played it helped my game.
every one that i played with was great and helpfull they let me know how to improve my game.
and they were all very nice one time at glow i got the who man and i suck but he was cool with it and we had a great game..
the leage is a great way to meet new err old players to ...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

wlsmoku

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 09:03:14 PM »
it's a rush every monday to go from overland park to blue springs and then to rosedale after work for their beginner league, but I'm glad I go. I have missed the last two weeks due to funeral and a family matter, but I REALLY enjoy going and have learned a LOT of terminology and technical things that are played in tournaments. having a short course has made my game look a ton better too, cause when I shoot a 57, you know it's short :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Gary F

League Times and Locations?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 08:18:35 AM »
I have never joined a league before, but I may be interested. When are leagues formed and what days are they normally played? I would be most interested in a league at Cliff Drive, (haven't played it yet, maybe Monday morning), or WW.

Any courses up North of the city? I live in Kearney so everything is a drive for me.

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »
Cliff is monday  New payers leage  is at rosie on mondays and olathe has leage on mondays too i thnkg..
Swope tusday
Rosie wenday
WW thursday
wyco friday

I think most of them show at 5:30? anyone want to help on that let him know...

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 10:10:12 AM »
That is correct on all counts. The league page at:

http://www.kcfdc.org/leagues.html

has all the info. Although I don't think there's a women's league this year.

We will start teeing off closer to 5:30pm as the Sun starts setting earlier but most of the season we tee off at 6:00pm. Most of the leagues are run like mini-tournaments so you don't have to make a commitment to show up every week unless you want to. Bob, out in Olathe, does do handicapping to determine the division to put you in though.

Cost is $5 for members and $6 for non-members which inlcudes the optional $1 for the ace fund.

Come on out and play!
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »
Is cliff still $3.oo?

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 08:03:27 PM »
Quote from: "Nivek9"
. Bob, out in Olathe, does do handicapping to determine the division to put you in though./snip
Come on out and play!

almost, Kev....the handicap is actually for payout.  Advanced is handicapped, no other divisions at this point.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!