KCFDC Courses > Shawnee Mission

Thoughts/Feedback

(1/3) > >>

Peter Bures:
With 90 people playing the Frostbreaker this weekend, and I know more of you have been playing these last few weeks, I just wanted everyone's thoughts on how SMP looks nowadays. We added a handful of new pins, put in some more trashcans, and did other course improvements.

It seemed to me like most people like the new stuff, but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible.

I also wanted to note, before anyone says anything. The gravel around the teepads serves a couple of purposes-

-Levels off the Tees, some had significant drop-offs. For safety's sake, now no one can roll their ankle off the pad or anything.
-In the case of rain, it should hopefully keep things dry around the tee. Even if it's wet on the gravel, we won't have mud issues.

I also want to say that I don't love the gravel, but it's an improvement on how things were before and it solves those problems. So it fixed those issues, but it's not perfect. I'd still be interested in hearing what you guys think of if, I just wanted to explain the rationale.

mperry:
Personally I think the gravel is awesome! It is a great idea for keeping mud off the pads and giving people with longer run ups the ability to do so without having to step up onto the pad

Old Pike Mike:
Peter,  thanks for the work and the thought you put into the course!  It was in very good shape and the new  pin placements were fun.  The gravel isn't pretty; but, we will appreciate it after a rain, and it will keep the erosion down.  I was lucky enough to have Feldberg's KCWO caddy, caddying for me the second round.  He is very knowledgeable and helped me shave 8 strokes off my first round caddyless score.  He had never seen the course; but, commented that it was a lot better than he expected from the feedback he had heard.  That is a good sign!

Overall, you should get very positive feedback.  There were a couple of shots on the back (might be holes nine and ten) which seemed like very similar shots back to back:  a straight to slightly hyzer 375 to 400 foot shot.  They were still challenging to birdie in the wind; but, overall, there was good variety.   

Also, there could have been a rest room somewhere on the course to reduce the number of indecent exposure claims by the Johnson County folks.  (Don't worry they can't prove it.) And, the beer cart girl, she didn't come around very often during the second round. . .

Thanks Peter and thanks to Scott/DD for running the tournament.   

Mike T. 

Peter Bures:
I agree with you Matt in the sense that I have a long run-up so I benefit from the gravel in that way.

And thanks Mike, and you're right about a few holes having similar shots. This was my first time setting up a course for a tournament, and I learned a lot. I wanted to avoid simply putting every hole in it's longest pin for the tournament, but I ended up having a couple of things I wish I'd done differently. Holes 10 and 11, like you said, were pretty similar shots, Although not exactly the same (#10 has more trees). In retrospect, it would have been better to use the longer pin on #10; It's a bit longer and turns a little to the right, making the basket harder to get to. Rollers work well, and it's not an easy 3 like the one we used.

jack:

--- Quote from: Old Pike Mike on February 18, 2013, 08:48:55 PM --- I was lucky enough to have Feldberg's KCWO caddy, caddying for me the second round.  He is very knowledgeable and helped me shave 8 strokes off my first round caddyless score.  He had never seen the course; but, commented that it was a lot better than he expected from the feedback he had heard. 

--- End quote ---

Name dropper, why not just get the magazine and figure out the caddy in question?  :-)

Doesn't that caddy live in JoCo as well?  Hmmmmmmmm....

On a serious note, Peter the work that you are doing and communication with getting things moved forward is wonderful, and I am sure that you will do what makes sense with the land that is available accordingly!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version