Author Topic: New course in Blue Springs-work day this weekend!!!  (Read 2917 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
New course in Blue Springs-work day this weekend!!!
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »
My name is John Theiss.  I teach elementary pe and recently wrote a grant and was awarded grant money from SPRINT.  I am building a juniors disc golf course.  We are going to have a work day this Saturday and Sunday, the 14 and 15th.  Dan Cashen is going to be running one of the bobcats that I rented with grant money.  I will have a second bobcat helping on Sunday.  Eleven of the holes are similar to the DU or Cliff.  We need help clearing and cleaning.  We might be building some stairs this weekend.  This is a juniors course but it is still going to be really cool.  Come out and give us a hand.  Writing the grant was the hard part, building the course is the fun part.  We will be there at 9:00 AM Saturday and Sunday.  Once again the Cashen brothers are willing to go out of their way and promote a game we all love.   I would also like to thank Rick Rothstein for helping with the baskets.

Thanks,
John Theiss

jtheiss@bssd.net

Direction from downtown
I-70 E to Lee's Summit Rd
Turn left at Lee's Summit Rd
Turn right at 39th street
Drive to your next stoplight-Davidson Rd
Turn left at Davidson
Stay on Davidson all the way into the dead end/school

EJC
291/470 to 39 street (Independence Center/Mall)
Head West on 39 street
Turn on right Davidson
Follow all the way into the school

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:49:34 PM »
is this william yates elementary?

yes!!!!!

that's awesome...

bp

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »
Quote from: "phisherman_77"
is this william yates elementary?

yes!!!!!

that's awesome...

bp

I think it's John Nowlin Elelmentary.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Sweet!

Great job growing the game.  The KC disc golf scene just keeps getting bigger...

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 01:05:46 PM »
William Yates Elementary
3600 Davidson Road
Independence, MO  64055

sorry, nowlin is on valley view road, on the opposite side of the independence center

bp

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »
Quote from: "phisherman_77"
William Yates Elementary
3600 Davidson Road
Independence, MO  64055

sorry, nowlin is on valley view road, on the opposite side of the independence center

bp

Sorry, about that...I just know that we were having the baskets shipped to John Nowlin.  Could be that they have a dock there, and Yates doesn't.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:17:08 PM »
i'm always quick to give directions around where i grew up..

independence born and raised...before all the meth

bp

wlsmoku

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
MAN you about gave me a heart attack - I live right across the street from john nowlin!!!!

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
cool
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
nice work john. is this going to be the schools course or will you name it something else? i think it's huge for dg to get to the suburbs.
putt, putt, give.

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 06:56:47 PM »
Let me know when you need some more help. Im there!!!! I live in the area and would enjoy helping out the CAUSE.

Great job  :D  :D
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: cool
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 10:50:07 PM »
Quote from: "matty"
nice work john. is this going to be the schools course or will you name it something else? i think it's huge for dg to get to the suburbs.

I have been extremely busy dealing with other issues.  If Sprint okays it then we will name after Sprint.  However, I am not sure if Sprint has any legal concerns due to liability for injuries while on the course.  We have been making good progress behind the scenes getting some local businesses on board(KC Bobcat,  Home Depot,  Barbers, KC Southern RR).   The district seems to be slowing down some of the process due to the filing of paperwork.  However, they have also been very helpful with some welding and drilling work.  Railroad ties were donated to  form tee boxes and will be filled with some AB3 or Dust gravel.  We also have to set some linked railroad ties over some gulleys to use as cheap bridges.   Those suckers are four wide and weigh damn near four hundred lbs.   I am hoping that by August 26 or 27  we will be able to have another work day.  I still need some more materials and want to have everything ready for one work weekend.  It is turning out real nice!!  We had a great turnout for the last work day, and with another great turnout we could be getting real close to opening it up.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 08:22:28 PM »
A friend of mine in Wichita said they were driving through Blue Springs on I-70 and saw the baskets on two hills just south of the interstate.  Sounds like its coming right along.  Can't wait to play it...

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 10:18:19 PM »
not the same place, is it?  I don't think you can see 39th street from I70 at that point, and it would be north of 70...so, wtf are those baskets Mike's friends saw??
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »
The place that was described to me was just south of I-70 and 1-2 miles east of the I 470 intersection.

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 07:48:18 PM »
No such place is out here I have lived out here for years and would know about it. The new course John is working on is well north of I 70.
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010