Author Topic: Lakeside Hills is OPEN!  (Read 9641 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeside Hills is OPEN!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 06:24:36 AM »
  We have known for a couple years that the City of Olathe was planning to use the old golf course at Lakeside Hills for a new park. We were told when we put in Birdland that it most likely would be temporary. We were also told that only a few of the back holes (14, 15, 16, 17) would be affected. Last week Pete Cashen, Cade Garrelts and I met with the City and their Park Design firm to look over their plans. The majority of holes are affected by the new park plan and Birdland as we know it will not exist once construction starts in late spring of 2018. The course will likely be pulled partially or completely during construction for approximately one year and a revised or new version put in after the main construction is complete.

We have been provided the new plan, complete with the Park Design Firm's course modifications. In the meeting I proposed I evaluate the proposed changes, and look at a complete redesign as well. That is where we are today. I received the design firm's survey file and the new park plan file Friday 11-3-17 in the afternoon, and I have just started looking at it in detail. We will have a good idea by the end of November what direction the course layout will be taking. But ultimately the course will be shorter, tighter, and less of a Championship level course, with a new park road and a bike/walk trail crossing thru the land we once roamed freely upon.

Let's be optimistic and glad to be able to have a course at all. We had Birdland to ourselves for five years.  8)

Cade, Pete or I will provide updates as we find out the path forward.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:10:27 AM by Tom »

steuty

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:30 PM »
Bummer man. Really have enjoyed it over the past couple years. It must really stink having known the whole time that it probably wouldn't last. I'll have to make sure I get out there a bunch in the coming months.
KCFDC #1103
PDGA #75504

Rob H

• Am Poster
  • The Other Rob H.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
Looking at the land that would be left from those holes disappearing, I think there is more than enough land left to make a nice course.  The land that holes 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 surround is not currently utilised.  That can be 2 additional holes there, if you utilize the trees.  Keep all the rest at short placements and you can easily get 18 decent size holes in.  There will need to be a bunch of tree planting, but if it becomes permanent, then it would be worth it. Just sucks that we lose it's use for a while.

Honestly, 15, 16 and 17 are my worst holes anyway.  Probably not as sad about that as some.

One suggestion, Plant a ton of evergreens along the road as a wind block.
I'd be a lot better at this game if it wasn't for all these dang trees.