Author Topic: Lakeside Hills is OPEN!  (Read 2262 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Lakeside Hills is OPEN!
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
On Tuesday, February 19, 2013, the Lakeside Hills Disc Golf Course became complete with the installation of the baskets.

The course is still rough and in it's infancy, but it is playable. We hope to have concrete tees in by the first of Summer.

Although I have acknowledged the folks that made this dream become reality before, with the opening I want to give another shout out....

Brian Taylor-Not only is Brian a long range bomber and skilled player on the course, he is also a superhuman workhorse, who without being along on this endeavor, I would be weeks or months away from where we are today. He has been there at all stages and when there was work to be done, he attacked it. He practically single-handedly mowed several of the rougher fairways out with handtools so that when we did get baskets planted, we could begin play. If you see him on the course shake his hand and thank him.

Andy Lewis- My sounding board and consultant, he has been along the entire journey providing help wherever I needed.
Brush mowing, chain sawing, sleeve sticking, basket assembly, and most importantly, helping me keep it in perspective, Andy was a big help.

Mark Albers and Brian Corneilius-These two guys were a monster wrecking crew during the clearing stage, and then during concrete mixing, they were so fast the rest of us couldn't keep up. These guys were there whenever I asked for help, and
most excellent help they have been.

Deano-He has been with me since the beginning of the project, providing ideas and vision, and keeping what amounts to hard work, fun. His golf cart was a great asset during re-con and design, and during workdays shuttling folks here and there. Let's wish him a Happy Birthday at Birdland!

Cindy-With all we have going on in our non-disc golf lives the timing of the City's request for a design and install couldn't have come at a worse time for Cindy and I. Cindy took on lots of extra work and tasks to allow me the luxury and time to put in the volunteer time it took to make this happen. If you see her, give her a hug and a thanks.

Mr. Gus-He's just a good little buddy that loves going to the park with all of us, and keeps me grounded.

Mike Davis, Leevarn Sarvis, Dick Parker, and Dan Howard all put in some time as well. The City of Olathe Parks and Recreation Department effort led by Paul Hecker and Johnny Brokus made this all go so smooth.

The map below is the preliminary layout I submitted for approval. On later walk throughs and staking, we tweaked it slightly, but this map will get you around until we get a final map finished.

Now, let's all go enjoy it everyone!  8)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:49:40 AM by Tom »

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeside Hills aka Birdland is OPEN!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
WOOT! WOOT!

The southside of KC has been long overdue for another course....especially the SW side!!

I can't wait to get my first round in out there which I'm sure many of the non-workers out there are doing right now.

Here's to yet another place to nest......

....stay Dirty my friends!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
It looks really cool from the aerial.  What is total course length, avg hole distance, and slope change/elevation like?  It appears that you got some great views of the lake and really established tree lines.   

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »
It looks really cool from the aerial.  What is total course length, avg hole distance, and slope change/elevation like?  It appears that you got some great views of the lake and really established tree lines.

The total length is approximately 6900', for an average length of 383'. the phone died before we got all gps info gathered, but I do know on hole 10 the basket is 33' above the tee. I'd estimate hole 1 basket is 60' above the tee, and holes 4, 9, and 18 the baskets are around 50' to 60' below the tee.

I'm certain that if I'd taken another three to six months looking at the land and aerials I could have come up with something different, and perhaps better, but the pins can easily be re-positioned as well as the tee boxes, and one of my main goals was to occupy as much of the land as possible.

It's 5 minutes from my house and Prairie Center, has good shade on most of the tee boxes, doesn't have a single soccer or baseball field within 2 miles, and has dramatic views of a nice little lake, so I know me and the birds will like roosting there. Also from tee 9, my djembe will be audible maybe a half mile away.  8)

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
My beak is erect....
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

cro

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:43 PM »
Just played this today. Really like the layout, crazy fun elevation and great use of the area.
Matt Crowe
PDGA #48148
KCFDC #1318

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »
Played a round out at the lake today and really enjoyed myself.  It was quite wet as one would expect with all the snow melting off but it was still manageable.  It was great seeing the little pond filled up on the #1 fairway, hopefully it stays that way as it adds an element of risk to your drive.  I can't wait to throw a few more rounds here and then I will put up a review on dgcoursereview.com  A big thank you to everyone who made this course possible!!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
Ya...old ball golf course...it's gonna be sweet with green grass.

A ton of people out there yesterday....going to need a biger parking area for sure.....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Cant wait to play!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
Any idea where I could find hole distances?  I've looked on here and the facebook page, but can't find any info. 

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »
I have the distances from my design and staking. I will post the new distances soon, but in the mean time, here were the as designed distances. (which have changed some).

1-576'
2-390'
3-395'
4-420'
5-340'
6-360'
7-306'
8-292'
9-420'

10-318'
11-285'
12-396'
13-369'
14-441'
15-598'
16-441'
17-375'
18-306'

Hope that helps.

We all want to play on the course and not work for a while, but it will all get done.  8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:35:07 PM by Tom »

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
With all the great work that's been put in to this course you guys definitely deserve a break!!  Btw, we met on teebox 10 today with Dick.  Great course Tom, thanks for giving this south side gem!

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »
Drove out to check it out.  Looks like it will be a nice course once its mowed a few times and the grass greens up. Could see hole 10 with its tee shot uphill thru the trees, can't wait to see what that looks like when the leaves are on. Hope to get this week and play a few rounds on birdland. Can't wait to play it.
Steve keithley

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
I just added this course to the Easy Scorecard app.  Since I didn't have current layout I entered it with the layout provided.  I also linked it to its facebook page.  I entered all Par 3 except the two long holes.
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595