Author Topic: Mega Beer Thread  (Read 4239 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Beer Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
I actually thought this years bottled Hop Slam was on par with last years, and it's still probably my favorite seasonal.  However, I wasn't real impressed with it on tap down at Flying Saucer.  I did have a cold at the time, so there's that.  I would agree with Palmer though that Double Jack ranks right up there with it, minus the honey.   

I've been getting into imperial stouts lately, and my latest love affair is the bourbon barrel-aged from Schlafly.   http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/bourbon-barrel-aged-imperial-stout/  Drinks similar to last years Rye On Rye for me.  I honestly wasn't real hot with Schlafly in general, but between this and their T-IPA they are slowly becoming a label I look for when browsing through the coolers. 

When can we expect KBS to come in?

KBS's release date is 3/30, I'd say mid-April for arrivals here.  Will anyone actually get any?  Good question.  I think I got one 4 pack last year and thought I was lucky to get that.  I've been more partial lately to Founder's Imperial Stout; not nearly as "rare/sought after" and pretty similar quality-wise, minus the bourbon barrel aging of course.

Schlafly's barrel aged stuff is all good; I've got and tried multiple vintages of the Stout and Barleywine and they've all been fantastic.  The Stout particularly has a bit of coconut flavor that just plays so well with the rest of the beer's roasty flavors.

My latest find has been Santa Fe's Kickin' Chicken Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine.  It's infected as all get out with some nice sour lacto bugs and has developed a nice sourness.  It's debatable on whether or not the infection is intentional, but it's hard to deny.  It changes the barleywine to something VERY similar to Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Quad with a couple of years of aging on it.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »
Opened my Firestone Walker Parabola from 2011 the other day. Amazing is all I have to say about it.

I've set my mind now to quit aging Firestone Walker stuff, other than the Anniversary Ales.  Part of what makes Parabola and Sucaba is the sweetness from the barrel aging and as both of them age, the barrel character fades big time.  I had 2011 Abacus and Parabola both recently and they were both almost too sweet for me in comparison to their non-aged counterparts.

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
Beer is awful.   I don't touch the stuff.  http://www.ryanoldham.com/beer/?page=reviews

The E-man calling me out.   
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
Stiles shared a Boulevard Smokestack Rye on Rye with myself and Ekolk recently.  What a potent heady beer.  It hits your palette and tastes like the whiskey barrels it was aged in more than beer, but then you get the nice hop finish.  Great brew!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
You guys and all yer highfalutin beers....  Here's where it's at right here....

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »
From the land of sky blue waters....Watersss...comes the beer refreshing, Hamms the beer refreshing....

K-Mont just ship yourself back some next time!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 05:19:17 PM »
I'm a brewer, all grain but when I drink off the shelf I drink what fits the mold. I really like porters and browns although I make a killer honey wheat ( high octane).  Have always like Odell's 90 Shilling, went to the brewery last summer, cool place.

Oh and free beer is always the best  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:22:01 PM by Mick »
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Stiles shared a Boulevard Smokestack Rye on Rye with myself and Ekolk recently.  What a potent heady beer.  It hits your palette and tastes like the whiskey barrels it was aged in more than beer, but then you get the nice hop finish.  Great brew!

Rye on Rye is one of my favorites.  Such a smooth, but potent, sipper!

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »
This thread is just like the music threads on here; Basically, a contest to see who can name the most obscure sh1t with the hopes that most people haven't heard of it, in order to come across as interesting, original, and as non-conforming as possible. I'm gonna go chug some High Life and listen to the radio now... ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
Surprise, surprise, negative post about *insert any topic here* from Hyzer...  ;D

Lander

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Stone 12.21.12 was like eat the hops off a vine. 11 different varieties of hops (Calypso, Super Galena, Simcoe, Delta, Target, Amarillo, Motueka, Citra, Cascade, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, and Australian Galaxy) and a 35-day package-to-drink cycle which gave it its super fresh taste. ABV: 9.4% IBU 88
fLander

PDGA

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
....a contest to see who can name the most obscure sh1t ....

Hamms is obscure?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 07:36:58 AM »
Surprise, surprise, negative post about *insert any topic here* from Hyzer...  ;D

It wasn't negative, it was positive. An affirmation. If I wanted to be negative, I'd join in on the beer snobbing, Brian.:D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 08:14:04 AM »
Jack's right, High Life isn't so obscure.

You should join in on the beer snobbing Keizer.  It's fun.  The world of beer is far more vast than American adjunct lagers made by the big 3.  Ever try a Boulevard Pilsner?

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
Jack's right, High Life isn't so obscure.

You should join in on the beer snobbing Keizer.  It's fun.  The world of beer is far more vast than American adjunct lagers made by the big 3.  Ever try a Boulevard Pilsner?

I know dude, but it's even more fun to mess with you. If it were up to me, I'd be enjoying trying a new brew I'd never heard of prior, but I am on a High Life budget right now. :'(
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555