Author Topic: Masters  (Read 2948 times)

Loomis

Re: Masters
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
they paid 5 in Masters, 4 in Open... and YES HELLA FAIR!!!!

Add all the cash to OPEN, Here's why...

Masters can STEP UP and play Open, but we can't step down to Play an age protected division..

You want to play for added money, play against the wolves...

We need a like button on here.

So - to clarify Tank's point - all tournaments should be two divisions... Open and Am. You either pay a full OPEN fee to play against Schusterick and lose every time; or you play against Palmer and take home more plastic. Is that the idea? Every tournament formatted like the USDGC? And if that were the case, do you think anyone would play those tournaments? Nope. You have divisions to encourage people to play. If you eliminate those divisions, Tank and Cooper, you would be playing alone. Which, coincidentally, is like playing Open.

Loomis

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
This age protected player is going up to Rosie to play right now. Let's go.

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
they paid 5 in Masters, 4 in Open... and YES HELLA FAIR!!!!

Add all the cash to OPEN, Here's why...

Masters can STEP UP and play Open, but we can't step down to Play an age protected division..

You want to play for added money, play against the wolves...

We need a like button on here.

So - to clarify Tank's point - all tournaments should be two divisions... Open and Am. You either pay a full OPEN fee to play against Schusterick and lose every time; or you play against Palmer and take home more plastic. Is that the idea? Every tournament formatted like the USDGC? And if that were the case, do you think anyone would play those tournaments? Nope. You have divisions to encourage people to play. If you eliminate those divisions, Tank and Cooper, you would be playing alone. Which, coincidentally, is like playing Open.

Nah man, you've got it all mixed up. Age restricted divisions are dandy.
But pay out the added cash to the division that takes the biggest risk and pays the most to play... OPEN.

Loomis

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
Masters pays just as much as Open to play. And the players in Masters are taking a bigger risk than the Open players. We are up for the challenge. Unless you Open players think you can take down Arturo on a consistent basis.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Uhmm.. This logic isn't logical. I think if Fred thought Masters was tougher he would stay in OPEN. You have far fewer risks in the Masters field... Other than possibly pulling a muscle in your back or losing your glasses... or the battery in your hearing aide going out.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »
Masters pays just as much as Open to play. And the players in Masters are taking a bigger risk than the Open players. We are up for the challenge. Unless you Open players think you can take down Arturo on a consistent basis.

LOL!

Sorry, but Arturo makes life as a disc golfer more difficult, regardless which division he plays!

2013 GBO
OPEN - $155
Pro Masters - $105

Who pays more?

Loomis

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
At GBO the pay out will reflect that difference.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
noboDIEs saying DON'T have 4213 divisions to make every feel that warm fuzzy feeling, we're talking about added cash!!!!

Great post Dick!!!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
Give sponsors the option of directing their donations toward their own optimal demographic as far as age-protected divisions go.  Or is this the norm already?

Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

coops

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
What if masters were only offered at A-tiers or above? I could get behind that.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
Money
Get away
You get a good job with good pay and you're okay
Money
It's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Money
Well, get back
I'm all right Jack
Keep your hands off of my stack
Money
It's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullsh1t
I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set
I think I need a Lear jet
Money
It's a crime
Share it fairly
But don't take a slice of my pie
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a raise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away

"HuHuh! I was in the right!"
"Yes, absolutely in the right!"
"I certainly was in the right!"
"You was definitely in the right. That geezer was cruising for a bruising!"
"Yeah!"
"Why does anyone do anything?"
"I don't know, I was really drunk at the time!"
"I was just telling him, he couldn't get into number 2. He was asking why he wasn't coming up on freely, after I was yelling and screaming and telling him why he wasn't coming up on freely. It came as a heavy blow, but we sorted the matter out"

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »
Added Cash should go to the Open division unless otherwise specified by the donor. An example would be the year KC won 15 Grundy @ USDGC-10 Grundy was specified to go to the winner only.
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
I played Masters the last two times because I can (like Fred).  I wanted to experience something different and see what it was like.  By the way, it is way different than playing Advanced.  I'm sure playing Open will be another completely different experience too.  I'm planning on playing several different divisions this year.  I will play some Masters, a little Advanced (GBO and KCWO), Advanced Masters (Worlds), and some Open.  One nice thing about playing in the Masters division is that I'm not constantly out driven by 100 ft.  I have decent distance on my drives, but I am frequently the shorty off the tee in Advanced.  I make up for it with good upshots and at times good putting.   What I found in Masters division is that most of players, play a similar game to me (except with more rollers).  As as side note, I think added cash should go to Open division.     

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »

Reply #25 on: Today at 11:33:35 AM

Give sponsors the option of directing their donations toward their own optimal demographic as far as age-protected divisions go.  Or is this the norm already?

pretty normal practice, if it is not earmarked for a division, otherwise it's up to the TD. if the entry fee is lower for age protected division, then the added cash should be lower, but if the entry fee is equal, so should be the added cash. grandmasters don't worry about open payouts very often, but we are aware of them.
and those damn batteries are why i don't wear a hearing aid.
espouse elucidation

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
I played Masters the last two times because I can (like Fred).  I wanted to experience something different and see what it was like.  By the way, it is way different than playing Advanced.  I'm sure playing Open will be another completely different experience too.  I'm planning on playing several different divisions this year.  I will play some Masters, a little Advanced (GBO and KCWO), Advanced Masters (Worlds), and some Open.  One nice thing about playing in the Masters division is that I'm not constantly out driven by 100 ft.  I have decent distance on my drives, but I am frequently the shorty off the tee in Advanced.  I make up for it with good upshots and at times good putting.   What I found in Masters division is that most of players, play a similar game to me (except with more rollers).  As as side note, I think added cash should go to Open division.   

So you turned down the $220 at WyCo?  If so...WOW!  If not...then shouldn't ADV be off your plate now?

Not picking, just asking....but I do have Palmers number if you would like to discuss the benefits of bagging.!   ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:18:41 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word