Author Topic: Masters  (Read 2404 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Masters
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
You have to actually play golf to sandbag, and I haven't been holding up that end of the bargain lately.

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »
also i wear adult diapers for rounds over 2 hours which answers your tournament reference.

I thought you had the soggy bottom waddle going on, last Saturday.

Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:53 PM »
If not...then shouldn't ADV be off your plate now? 

I'm still going to play AM in a few large tourneys until Am Worlds.  Some due to expense.  I mean GBO is almost double between Advanced and Open ($80 vs. $155) and KCWO is ($88 vs. $170) plus there will be some serious competition at those A-tiers.   

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
It is up to the TD on added cash, except where the PDGA dictates it is so.

Typically we try to balance it out percentage wise when I run events.

As for the true reason Cooper, its more fun to play Masters.

Danger is right, the one division and then if you want in a Side Bet option for age protected is a good way to go.

As for age 50, son, seriously, you weren't here for the revolution when it went from 35 to 40.  There are people that left Disc Golf when that happened that still haven't returned to play.

Playing with people who have a common interest and conversation pieces is something that one can enjoy.  It is not easy to carry conversations about life experiences with people that haven't experienced life.  Also their Frame of Reference is off.  Not everyone remembers what Antenna TV was, or how the remote control used to be the youngest in the family to get up and turn the knob, and how they always broke, and you had your vice grips on there to change channels to one of the 4 you may have been lucky to get.

That matters especially at events when there is so much down time.  Also personally, many pro's and Adv Men take the game a little too seriously.  I get it, and for that I understand, but there are only a few places where the need to win exceeds common respect and courtesy, and it gets thrown out from time to time too often at events.  So play with people that have a similar interest, a similar life experience, and age protected to ensure that they are better survived during the round. 

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Loomis

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
And for the record, I'm playing OPEN at the European Open this year. Cause I ain't no sissy.

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »

GBO  ($80 vs. $155) and KCWO is ($88 vs. $170) 

This is CRAZY!!

How did the prices for open go up so much this year, while every other division seems to stay near the same?

coops

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

GBO  ($80 vs. $155) and KCWO is ($88 vs. $170) 

This is CRAZY!!

How did the prices for open go up so much this year, while every other division seems to stay near the same?

Yeah, this is a lot of money to play some disc!

coops

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »

As for age 50, son, seriously, you weren't here for the revolution when it went from 35 to 40.  There are people that left Disc Golf when that happened that still haven't returned to play.

Playing with people who have a common interest and conversation pieces is something that one can enjoy.  It is not easy to carry conversations about life experiences with people that haven't experienced life.  Also their Frame of Reference is off.  Not everyone remembers what Antenna TV was, or how the remote control used to be the youngest in the family to get up and turn the knob, and how they always broke, and you had your vice grips on there to change channels to one of the 4 you may have been lucky to get.

On your first point: No I wasn't here, but just because people got pissed off and left doesn't mean I'm wrong. People will always find reasons to be upset about one thing or another. I stand by the point that, in most tournaments and on most courses, players aged over 40 but under 50 aren't at a serious competitive disadvantage. Granted, at the very highest level, they would be. But heck, at the very highest level it doesn't matter how old you are, you could still be at a huge disadvantage because those guys are freaking good!

And on your second point: I reject the notion that length of time lived equates to living and experience. Yes, there are many immature players in the 18-25 range, but there are just as many immature players in the 40+ range. Just because someone has never experience the wonder of Hogan's Heroes or doesn't know about Pong or the Iran contra affair doesn't mean you can't have common experiences. And, if you really can't converse with people without those similar memories, maybe it would be a good thing to get you out of you comfort zone.

Beyond that, if you want to talk about old TV or what it was like when you had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, maybe you should seek out your contemporaries in a casual round and not in competitive play.

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
I wear straight bill hats and sag my jeans, but also remember thursday night cosby show and last episode of mash.  I'll be masters age in 2 years and cant decide what to do.  If Im good enough at that time, I would base my choice on price. .02 ;)
PDGA# 51376

Loomis

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »

On your first point: No I wasn't here, but just because people got pissed off and left doesn't mean I'm wrong. People will always find reasons to be upset about one thing or another. I stand by the point that, in most tournaments and on most courses, players aged over 40 but under 50 aren't at a serious competitive disadvantage. Granted, at the very highest level, they would be. But heck, at the very highest level it doesn't matter how old you are, you could still be at a huge disadvantage because those guys are freaking good!

And on your second point: I reject the notion that length of time lived equates to living and experience. Yes, there are many immature players in the 18-25 range, but there are just as many immature players in the 40+ range. Just because someone has never experience the wonder of Hogan's Heroes or doesn't know about Pong or the Iran contra affair doesn't mean you can't have common experiences. And, if you really can't converse with people without those similar memories, maybe it would be a good thing to get you out of you comfort zone.

Beyond that, if you want to talk about old TV or what it was like when you had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, maybe you should seek out your contemporaries in a casual round and not in competitive play.

Cooper, it isn't that we think the conversation suffers because kiddos haven't seen Hogan's Heroes; we think it suffers because of the kiddos like to drone on and on about American Idol or Jersey Shore. It's not that they don't know what WE are saying that bothers us, it's that WE don't want to hear what THEY are saying. As you get closer to forty you will feel this more and more. Now this assessment isn't true for all kiddos, but the odds are greater the closer to 20 you get - thus the desire for an age protected division. And as far as coming out of a comfort zone to play... this is disc golf, it's all about comfort zones. That's why most people are here. Leagues and casual play are the places you "challenge" yourself against greater opponents. In a tournament where I'm paying over $100 bucks to play, plus another $100 for room and board, etc. I don't think I want to "mix things up" just to be uncomfortable.

I play tournaments for various reasons and in a smaller, cheaper one day tournament I might be willing to mix things up, but not every time. And certainly not when I have the choice of playing in a division I know I will enjoy both the company and the competition. What's my incentive for playing Open? I just spent the last five years playing in Advanced against mostly 20 year olds or (Dick Parkers who have played Am for thirty five years) and I proved to myself that I was ready to move up. I turned Pro and I played against Ken Climo, Barry Schultz, Phil Arthur, Jon Baldwin, Ron Convers, Pat Brown and Jon E McCray at Worlds last year. None of them are slouches. They are enough of a challenge that I don't need to play Open. Locally I have a lot of talented Masters players to challenge myself against. When I think I'm the most dominate Masters player in our area, then I might consider playing Open. I'm not the best masters player so I think I have enough to work on. And had Wyco only had two or three Masters players signed up, I would have played Open.

Cooper, you skipped most of your AM career, so did Tank. You both sort of jumped into the fire. I applaud you both. You're both good players. But not everyone can do that AND not everyone wants to.

As far as who gets the money. If I pay the same amount as the Open field to play in my division, I want the same consideration given to my division. And if there is ADDED CASH, well, as I've said before tournaments should have an announced PRIZE for first place so that everyone who signs up knows what they are gunning for. If the tournament said, "First place is $1200" then I think you would get a better turn out for the event, better competition and less complaining about pay out. I think the idea of pay out being compared to the size of the field is silly. It's done nothing to further the sport at all. First, Second and Third should have fixed prizes and the rest of the field can be adjusted accordingly if necessary.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 06:21:01 PM »
I'm 43 next month and I do love Hogan's Heroes.  I wish there was an Intermediate Masters.  I would be all over that.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
I love talking about Maturity with a 40+ year old student and JACK LOWE....

Does anyone else find this hilarious??????

Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »
I love talking about Maturity with a 40+ year old student and JACK LOWE....

Does anyone else find this hilarious??????

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
I'm just pickin' I love you both!!!!!!!

;D

Loomis

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I'm assuming you are making reference to me. So that would be FORMER student. OR "Graduate" as they like to say in the elite private clubs around town.

And who still says "burn"... other than a 37 year old career house guest?