Author Topic: Masters  (Read 2148 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Masters
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
For those of you who remember, four miles south of that house is spot where they filmed Used Cars.

One of the best movies of all time....seriously just a freaking hoot....Only Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder films were that funny at the time or Mel Brooks.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »
For those of you who remember, four miles south of that house is spot where they filmed Used Cars.

One of the best movies of all time....seriously just a freaking hoot....Only Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder films were that funny at the time or Mel Brooks.....

The Sheriff's near!
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »

The Sheriff's near!

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman??!
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
Just from my point of view when organizing and running an event, i like to treat all of the cash winning divisions the same, which is why they have the same entry fee and the added cash is distributed proportionally through those divisions.  I never subtract added cash from the entry fees, I either raise the money from fundraising or a sponsor or I bite the cost. 

I have played open, I am close to masters age and I have been running events for years and have heard many opinions about who should get the bulk of the money and what things should cost, but again by making my events as even as possible, it is clear what I am doing and there are no surprises.

I always say that I think you should play the division that you enjoy to play (within the requirements).  I in all honestly am looking forward to playing masters, mainly because from my observations, masters divisions do not look to be as stressful and they seem to have more fun with camaraderie.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
I always say that I think you should play the division that you enjoy to play (within the requirements).  I in all honestly am looking forward to playing masters, mainly because from my observations, masters divisions do not look to be as stressful and they seem to have more fun with camaraderie.

Here HEAR!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »
I usually show up at tournaments, and if there are red haired people in a divvision, I play in another division, or just leave. It's the whole clown-carrot top paranoia thing that freaks me out.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
i can honestly foresee someone who will never play amgrands, unless he too is chemically castrated.
espouse elucidation

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
When there was no fowl we ate crawdad
when there was no crawdad we ate sand

you ate sand?!
putt, putt, give.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
I usually show up at tournaments, and if there are red haired people in a divvision, I play in another division, or just leave. It's the whole clown-carrot top paranoia thing that freaks me out.

Whew, oh I hate it when that happens....... I know what you mean....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »
Just from my point of view when organizing and running an event, i like to treat all of the cash winning divisions the same, which is why they have the same entry fee and the added cash is distributed proportionally through those divisions.  I never subtract added cash from the entry fees, I either raise the money from fundraising or a sponsor or I bite the cost. 

I have played open, I am close to masters age and I have been running events for years and have heard many opinions about who should get the bulk of the money and what things should cost, but again by making my events as even as possible, it is clear what I am doing and there are no surprises.

To be clear too, Scott, this discussion was never meant to be an indictment of of they way you guys run your events. I think they're great and want to support them by playing as many of them as possible. This was merely supposed to be a discussion of what I view as some of the systemic flaws inherent to our current structure.

But I wouldn't mind if you just put all the added cash in Open. :)

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2013, 03:54:06 PM »
When there was no fowl we ate crawdad
when there was no crawdad we ate sand

you ate sand?!

OK then.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

To be clear too, Scott, this discussion was never meant to be an indictment of of they way you guys run your events. I think they're great and want to support them by playing as many of them as possible. This was merely supposed to be a discussion of what I view as some of the systemic flaws inherent to our current structure.

But I wouldn't mind if you just put all the added cash in Open. :)

Coop,

I never took it as aimed at me, but since my name was brought up and I run a good amount of the events in the area, I just wanted players to know from a TD standpoint.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »
after reading most of the posts, don't some of you think that when the popularity of the sport grows, then so will the amount of money in each division? For instance in Ball Golf the pro's pay around 20K to play in each tourney (minus the "championship events"), but the pay outs are far more than the total entry fee. Sponsorships and marketing will create the void of "unfairly" seen payouts thus making the other levels of play (buy.com tour, seniors tour, hooters tour) have higher pay outs as well. Tom Watson can still ball at age 60, but prefers his partners to be of the same understanding, not some Ricky Fowler stright brimmed hat wearing kid hitting (or throwing) it passed him 100 yards (or feet) while jamming out to Beiber on his Beats headphones. Now not to say that young Ricky wouldnt respect Mr. Watson and appreciate playing with him, but hopefully my broken explanation is understood. I think that the Open division will soon be expensive to play in thus forcing players that are not sponsored or rich to play in advanced men's or if eligible into the masters division, BUT i also think when this happens that the money for the other divisions will grow as well because there has to be a way to prove who can and or should be in the Open division. Anything beyond that I think is a personal choice. If you dislike Gen Y'ers then you will probably play in the Masters Division, but if your main goal is money and fame then you will play in the Open division.