Author Topic: Lakeside Course Review - Olathe  (Read 1127 times)

Loomis

Lakeside Course Review - Olathe
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
This is not a course for beginners. It's long. In fact there isn't one hole under 300 feet. The one that comes close ( hole 8 ) is a well-protected uphill shot that still requires a driver and some luck. So it feels long.

If you're the kind of person who likes to brag that you can crush a buzz 400 feet, or who can't figure out why they keep getting overlooked for a sponsorship, this course is for you. It's a big course. It will require a full power drive on 14 of the 18 holes, and lots of energy/endurance to play this course to a 1000 rated level. The first hole alone should humble most people. Easily 500 feet from pad to basket, and it's all uphill. It took me two full drives to get there.

That's not to say that the course is impossible or even difficult to play; most of it's wide open and there are not a lot of shots where you're going to be concerned about a miscue. Holes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 are open fairways with reasonable upshots if you don't mess up your drive too badly. Holes 4, 8, 10, 11 and 18 are tight shots that will require finesse otherwise you will be looking at an easy 5. My favorite hole was 4. Eventually this is going to be one of the best tee shots in the KC area.

The course is still rough and seems to be laid out on an old golf course that has long been abandoned. A lot of great courses have a ball golf course as their foundation and they are some of the best courses in the world (Highbridge Hills in Wisconsin is a good example). So with a lot of love and attention, this course is going to grow into a favorite of a lot of people. It has incredible potential to get bigger, tougher, longer, and more insane given a little tinkering here and there. Though not intended for disc golf, I appreciate the fact that the golf cart path runs around the course fairly well. This made it nice when walking around the course. It's still rough out there so take your time getting around. There are a lot of tree stumps and undulated terrain which can turn your ankle.

Overall it's a good course that with time will be a great course.

It is an easy course to figure out the lay out with the arrows pointing you to the next hole. Other than the first hole when I wasn't sure which of the baskets I was looking at was hole 1 (hint it's the one straight up the hill) I didn't have a problem finding tee pads or baskets. A few of the holes are blind, and when in doubt, it's probably to the right.

PROS: It's Long. One of the few courses where you need a driver and you will still need an upshot. NOTE: This is not a short course and it's not for people easily discouraged by distance.
          The View. There is a lake near the course and it's awesome. I wish it came into play on a few of the holes, but the view at this course is very nice.
          The baskets. These things catch everything.
CONS: Parking. The first few people there are going to appreciate the parking. The rest of the field is going to be a little peeved. If I had one real issue it would be that the course could have used the lake more, or created more questionable shots to make me uncomfortable. Hole 18 has a lake I wish came into play during my drive. There are a few minor questions I have but I will reserve them for the future.

Here's my score card for the round. It took me 90 minutes to play and it's quite a hike. You can take a stroller out there for the most part. The cart path is handy but on a few of the holes it will be rough.

A few of these holes remind me of holes on famous courses and that will make this course a great place to practice for AM Nats, 2013 Am Worlds, Beaver State Fling and Texas States.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
4  3  3  3  2  3  3  2  3  3   3   4   3   3  3   3   3   3    54

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:37:41 PM by Loomis »

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeside Course Review - Olathe
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
Sounds Sweet! I will have to give it a go soon!

Lakeside... where 10 years ago I easily made a 3 on a par 5 in ball golf, and today I will be making 5's on par 3's in Disc Golf!

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »
Loomis, thanks for the review.

The Lake does come into play on hole 5, because I witnessed a power flick by Brian Corneilius that flipped wind up at least 75' out in the water.

The small pond between 1 and 18's fairway will be more of a factor for both holes when I install the short 1 pin and the jumbo long 18 pin. Bombers will try to go big air hyzer on 18, and if they don't clear all the treetops may land wet.

We can stretch out 4 a lot, possibly even using 8's sleeve. We can stretch out 10, 11, and 12 quite a bit eventually too. When I get 1's short sleeve in, we can put 17 in the long 1 placement for a much longer, very picturesque down hill.

I think #8's tee will end up 15' to the south and about 15' to the east. We will then put a pin on the level ground above the retaining wall, near the stairs, but that plan is subject to the City's approval. The wall is in disrepair and they may not want us using it.

We will keep refining this tract over time, and also make some more enhancements to PC. I'm just happy to have two tracts only 5 minutes from home, and I hope all the players enjoy the courses.  8)

I would invite and encourage everyone that visits to pack out what you bring in, and if you see some dumbasses litter, please pick it up.  :)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:45 PM »
Dumbasses litter....
yeah I was actually really surprised at the level of trash already for only being open for 1 month.  It actually kind of made me a little sick inside.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

BrianC

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »
Thanks Tom

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:02:35 PM »
I would invite and encourage everyone that visits to pack out what you bring in, and if you see some dumbasses litter, please pick it up.  :)

Yeah, pick up any dumb asses' litter and pack in pack out everywhere you can. I can't wait to play it the first week of April. Yes, it is on my calendar.  ;) :D "If Loomis likes it, I must play"(read in robot voice).

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
exellent review Loomis! Exactly my comments. Hole 4 and 9 my favs. Parking is the only problem. Butler says P&R are going to help remedy this.

By the way, add 1 to about all your holes and that is what I shot first time full round. +14 for a sophomore player. A good starting place.

Friday Traveling league there tomorrow morning at 9am.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:28:34 AM »
Sounds like a cool course but Loomis, you've scared me away with all that talk of long power drives. It'd be a long power drive to the course from Independence, too. ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:18 AM »
Tracy,

No. This is on the backside of the course near the lake.

Mike,

I don't think it is as long as Loomis' review makes it sound. There are some long holes near the back half of the course but it really isn't that bad.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:08:58 AM »
Oh, I'll definitely play it just to notch the belt. Just like PC, though, as much as I like the course it is just too far a drive for me to play it often.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

mikedopen

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
 The Road has been gated and locked
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:23:47 PM by mikedopen »
Mike D

Loomis

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »
It's not blue valley long, but it's still Wyco long or smithville long. and there are no short drives. There is more parking than it appeared to be.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »
Hole 5 was under 300ft. Also 18.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Loomis

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »
Hole 5 was under 300ft. Also 18.
You're right Dick. I am mistaken. Hole 18 is under 300.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
Is it cart friendly all the way through?
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!