Author Topic: pin settings  (Read 4017 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
pin settings
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
Is Swope still set short like it was for the doubles event last month? Will it be short for league tonight?

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
pin settings
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 05:54:11 PM »
yup, and umm yup....
Mike Penney

otter

• Pro Poster
pin settings
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:51:53 AM »
Give us a mix of long and medium holes while we still have long days!   8)
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

will

• Pro Poster
pin settings
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:42:55 PM »
yeah...even i shot 4 down there.

thought is was big shit until the next day and kantro shot 5 down no bogeys.  old man

otter

• Pro Poster
pin settings
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 08:43:51 AM »
Please move some pins for VARIETY's sake!

flipandflap

pin settings
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 01:23:03 PM »
Yeah.  It was almost all short all winter, and now stillall short.  Give us some differnt looks, dude.  Their's plenty of options, use em sometime

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
pin settings
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 01:36:40 PM »
Is Swope that only course you all play?
Mike Penney

otter

• Pro Poster
pin settings
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »
Quote from: "A-Lefty"
Is Swope that only course you all play?

I would like to play another course the next time I play Swope --- variety is another spice of life!  (6 weeks and one pin moved?)
We love ya, Mike!!  8)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
pin settings
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 02:08:21 PM »
I moved 9 baskets last night at Olathe...come play it!!

Big "O" on Sat.
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
pin settings
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »
It was mega long for over a month, and yes I do admitt that it has been short for a while. However there are 5 holes with alt tee pads, plus there are 3 extra (red) baskets presently. I apologise if ya'll  feel as though that isn't variety enough. But with temp's reaching 95+ for the last month, who really wants to play long holes in that kind of heat, and better yet, who is going to be responsable for someone having a heat stroke out there, with the limted access to water?
Has anyone shot 18 under yet?
How many Ace's have been hit?

What I am trying to acomplish with a short course is making it friendly to the general public or casual golfrer. I have seen increased numbers of families, and most importantly kids out playing Disc Golf at Swope. I'm sorry if you guys that play league regularly are bored. But my question to you is where are all of the Am players? Should Swope league srtictly be a Pro league?  Because that's what the numbers reflect. I am at Swope on sunday's from 10am  at the lastest untill 2-ish. You can always come out and I'll give ya a key to move baskets.
Mike Penney

MikeTeachKC

Thank you!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 09:11:39 AM »
A-Lefty, I want to thank you for all of us "duffers" in the world of disc golf that don't get to play as much as we'd like, and as such our skills pretty much suck compared to the regulars.  It's nice to have someone realize that the growth of disc golf isn't going to come by catering ONLY to the desires of the regulars, but to providing some not quite as challenging courses for the newbies to get some experience on, such as you mentioned you've done with Swope.  That "short" course is one hell of a challenge to someone who hasn't tossed a disc in years, if ever.  Having said that, a long course (such as BV) isn't a challenge for the, it's an impossibility and will put them off trying again.  Sure, I know someone with more muscle then brains will probably post a reply saying something like, "Well, if they can't play, stay off the course" or some other mindless thing like that.  The truth is, we need to ENCOURAGE novices to come out and play, not insult them nor make them think it's all about the big boys.  You are right, there are MANY GREAT disc golf courses in the area.  All it takes is a short drive.  Cliff is an awesome course with tremendous variety, Waterworks is always a challenge (just keeping out of the trees, if nothing else. <G>), Rosey...now THAT is a great course!   People, we are blessed!  Thank you to all who encouraged ME when I was starting a year ago.  Thank you again, A-Lefty, for understanding and helping the newbies.

otter

• Pro Poster
pin settings
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »
MikeTeachKC, thanks for your refreshing take on this subject and I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Having been playing DG for nearly a decade now,  I'm lucky to play 2x/wk and Tuesday evenings work well for my schedule.  I prefer to play in an organized, competitive environment where I can just show up and find other disc golfers ready to play, so Swope league fits the bill.  If there were just one pin placement/hole then we wouldn't be having this discussion & we would be playing the same course every time.  
ps  Thanks for moving 12 & 13!  That island shot on 14 is sweet!
pps  Let's bring back the Pro/Am doubles at least once/month!

We love ya, Mike!

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
pin settings
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 02:15:43 PM »
Quote from: otter

pps  Let's bring back the Pro/Am doubles at least once/month!

quote]

Sounds like a great idea.......I'll bring it up to Beckett when I see him on Sunday.
Mike Penney

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
pin settings
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:36:49 PM »
moving the baskets also helps in terms of reducing the bare spots that always show up late summer and turn into muddy messes in the fall and winter. year after year the high traffic areas require the most remediation.

look a little bit further down the road than your day to day scores. if you truly love swope then consider the extensive erosion and bare spots-not unlike the issues that waterworks has faced and will continue to deal with for some time to come.

it's true that we need to court the newer players. doing it at the expense of the course itself isn't the wisest use of the land.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing