Author Topic: Cliff Drive Work Day, This SUNDAY 4/7/2013!!!  (Read 1241 times)

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging Interest for Upcoming Cliff Drive Work Day
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
I will be available as well next weekend, lets get this thing on.  We really want to do it on Sunday instead of Saturday?

I've already made plans for a fishing trip to Lake of the Ozarks this Saturday.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Drive Work Day, This SUNDAY 4/7/2013!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »
Okay so this workday is happening this Sunday morning, 4/7/2013. See ya there at 9am. 8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 03:25:56 PM »
In there like a speedo on a fat man!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »
Thanks Keizer for coming out and putting this on the mark.  Mike and I got quite a bit one on the new hole #1 for clearing out.  Then I spent about 2 hours on #1 cleaning up the side of the hill, and working on getting some more control on the front part on the hole.  I appreciate Mike making part of his life to improve the courses.  I thank him for making the effort and following through.  Thanks Mike!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
Thanks Keizer for coming out and putting this on the mark.  Mike and I got quite a bit one on the new hole #1 for clearing out.  Then I spent about 2 hours on #1 cleaning up the side of the hill, and working on getting some more control on the front part on the hole.  I appreciate Mike making part of his life to improve the courses.  I thank him for making the effort and following through.  Thanks Mike!

Dude, are you serious? I don't need the kudos. Instead of thanking me, you should be calling everyone who didn't show up the douchebag users that they are. %$#@ this club, seriously.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
I think that Mike has a valid point on this one.....The lack of interest on helping to work on a change within a course and the needs to maintain it are sorely being missed by the majority of the users within the community currently.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 08:26:38 AM »
AGREED! For three weeks in a row I have been at Swope on Sunday doing something. Chris Millsap has consistently been there working on the club house. Patrick has been a huge help too. Otherwise, nobody and nothing. I sure hear a lot of suggestions of what could and should be done. We need action, not talk.

Pete Cashen did come out and install the signs for KCFDC leagues. Big thanks to the BoD and Pete for getting those together. They look great.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:10:33 PM by ekolk »

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
Has there been any thought into requiring members attend at least 1-2 work days throughout the year in order to qualify to play leagues?  What about work day incentives outside of food and beverage...like $2 off your next year membership for every work day attended.

I have also found that a phone call getting workers to commit is much better than this forum.  Especially since the weather is nice and folks don't get online as much.

It is very amazing how league attendance goes up every year but the number of people actually getting their hands dirty at work days goes down....other than the KS boys....with all the changes and improvements to PC the last couple years and the implementation of Birdland....we have a very committed team of workers.

Anyway...I agree with the lack of workers around here....GET OUT AND HELP YOUR COURSES PEOPLE!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:07:23 AM by The Bird Father »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
....Anyway...I agree with the lack of workers around here....GET OUT AND HELP YOUR COURSES PEOPLE!!

When JoCo and KCMO agree there is a problem Houston.....Andy is correct, and the "new course" excitement should bring out more people for certain there in Birdland.  The same I thought may manifest itself with a new design at Cliff....but alas.......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
Sorry for being crass again, but this is awfully frustrating. With all the views on this topic, I know people knew about this workday. Hell, one guy even asked me not to cancel it because he wanted to do some work out there, and then he didn't even show up. (I'm talking to you, Mike Penney, ya &%^$@.)
I realize folks may be working on other courses. I also realize that Cliff Drive might be a long drive for other members. But seriously, how many of you USERS who saw this thread and knew about this workday were out PLAYING a round yesterday at Water Works, or BV, or Swope, or Rosedale? Oh, maybe you were too tired because you PLAYED in a tournament on Saturday-- sh1t, you probably haven't put in work at the courses where those tourneys were held, either, have ya?
Hundreds of views and only Jack and I show up. What a F'n joke of a club membership.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:53:20 AM by Mike Hyzer »
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »
I agree and have dealt with this problem in Sedalia lately. I see a dozen or so people out here playing all the time but rather than having them show up on work days I see them play through. Or worse yet, one of them steals a basket and the rest of them leave their beer cans all over the course and take other people's discs that are left floating on the pond with no intention of ever calling them to return them. Too many people taking without giving back.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
I had to coax Mike into staying on SUnday as well.  I am of the same mindset, and Mike, I am probably good for about 50 of those views in here on the post.....

I agree that better awareness is helpful, and I should have posted something on the Marquee about the Workday.  Phone calls do help, but I am not your father, and I take pride and ownership in the courses around town.  I don't think that I have made it out to a workday in PC in a few years (same with WyCo.....) but I know that I have in the past made it out there.  Once the course is planted, it needs love and TLC, just like any other plant.

We are simple folks here who really only want what is in the best interest of us all, and that is to improve the courses.

I for one hope that the volunteer efforts will rise for the Wide Open preparedness, or I will be embarrassed by the presentation of the courses.  As a leo, I take pride in a lot that I put into, and I put a lot into disc golf.  Workdays, meetings, grants, designs....all for free....if you could donate even an hour a month cleaning/picking up trash I would appreciate, as would others.  If people saw others doing work, they would be reminded that it is a community effort.

The other option is to work with your local politician and ask them to raise your taxes to hire more people on the P&R staff to complete these requests that we are asking of our volunteer community!

:-)

There are many that do work, and I don't want to belittle the efforts that many do give, but with more courses comes a time for more people to help.  When we had 3-5 courses, having the same core of 15-20 people working on workdays made an impact.  Now that core is older, and there are closer to 30 courses, and it appears to be many of the same people still working on the courses......that is the problem.......be a part of the solution.  Pick up some trash/debris.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"