Author Topic: Phoenix AZ  (Read 627 times)

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Phoenix AZ
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
So im off to visit my snow bird parents in the outskirts of Phoenix (one of the townships just outside of it, sunrise or supersoaker or some place) next weekend with the wife and kids, but I was hoping to sneak a round in somewhere out there. Anyone have suggestions? Favorites? Loomis the worldly traveler?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix AZ
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
Vista Del Camino or Fountain Hills.  Papago or Buffalo Ridge for desert golf.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
Nice, so which one would you pick? Which one is the one where you come back with tales of the greatest course that ever lived?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:37 PM »
I like Vista. Spinner's and Duke's are both right there on the course.  A disc golf shop and a cool bar/grill respectively.  It's located in Scottsdale.

Loomis

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
Vista Del Camino or Fountain Hills.  Papago or Buffalo Ridge for desert golf.

It's really all there is in the area. If you drive south there are some great courses in Marana just north of Tucson. Otherwise you will really enjoy fountain and vista. Papago is rugged looking but fun nonetheless.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »
get the 'shroom pizza from Popago brewery or the blackened salmon salad with strawberry vinaigrette from Dukes!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:27:37 AM »
Looks like you have some nice courses to play there buddy.  Enjoy!
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
get the 'shroom pizza from Popago brewery or the blackened salmon salad with strawberry vinaigrette from Dukes!

I'd recommend a nice Alesmith Speedway Stout on tap from Papago.  Great place, great food, great suds.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the input gents. Im leaving on Thursday so im going to hit Fountain and Vista on Sunday, then see if I can sneak out in the AM and hit Papago before we leave. Im taking 6 disc's (because with a wife and two kids im already packing the whole garage) but for an AM like myself the enjoyment will be to check out courses that I don't get to see in KC. Plus if any of you have seen me throw, there isn't too much difference between my Teebird and Boss. Hopefully I can take a few pic's and post them when i get back for those who don't get to travel out that way but were thinking of doing so.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
We expect these photos to be in traditional Cubby fashion.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
Ok so here is the map for Fountain and my review. My reviews will not be as great or well thought out as Loomis or any of the rest of you pro's but maybe for an AM's point of view you might be able to relate. I only got to play Fountain because of my miss judgement of taking two kids under the age of 3 (time, feeding, ect), and a fair skinned ginger wife (It was low 90's and high sun so "going to the park" mean't they sat in the shade most of the time) hampered my personal time to play.

So those that know me, know that I probably average around 12-14 over par currently. 2012 was my first year of playing and my over all average was +18 so I have gotten much better for one year. I can bomb a flick but i don't quite know where it will land, and I have more consistancy with a backhand. On a flat peice of ground with no wind I get about 300 with my drive and I putt like John Daly after a hard night of Jack Daniels and a 6am tee time.

Fountian was set up Medium over all and I shot +12 with 4 drops (two were unretrievable). I brought 2 Bosses, 1 Tee Bird, 1 Buzzz, and my old Aviar. The 1 boss and Avair were the men left behind.

Holes 1-7ish were like throwing on a saturday at KC Zoo. At one point I had to wait 15 minutes just to make sure I didn't bean anyone, and I also had to break up a smooch session to ask a young couple if they could just get up from a bench so I didn't smash into them after my Anna Kournikova grunt flick off a tee box. I was the only one playing on the course that day by the way (unbelievable). I did however play like losing a disc did not matter and/or like money was on the line. The course as you can see is around a "Lake" which is beautiful but smells like Deffenbaugh once that "Reclaimed" water was shot high into the sky. The tee pads, shot placements, mapping was excellent. On #15 I had my longest drive ever, a power flick (or as the Nailer likes to call my Pendulum Shot) that rested 30 ft from the basket, and since im not Tank (because he is a putting master) I of course made a par, but impressed some young kids tossing a frisbee enough that they ran to the tee pad to try to mimic my throw #puffthechestout.

Over all I thought the course was awesome. Beautiful, flowing, well landscaped, and tough. Some of the "downsides" are the people and place. Its like the best place surrounded by "The Plaza" and "Plaza type people" that look at you as if you are from outer space. There was literally no one playing there on a Saturday at 10am, which i purposely went at that time to hopefully play with some locals who knew the course, but after driving through $300K+ homes to get there i realized that might not be the case. It isn't a long or difficult course, but what makes it tough is YOU. Can you toss your Tee Bird exactly 250 and not have it skip into the water (which is about 6 holes)? The grass is cut short and if your disc finds it's edge it's bye bye time. I think that this course and this destination would be excellent for 4 people to go spend two days playing DG and drinking beer. As for feeding a 2 month old and entertaining a 2.5 year old + Disc golf, well maybe when they are older. The important thing is that It lived up to its hype, it was fun to play, and I would have easily played 4 rounds in 8 hours solo with a lunch break. For those who are into...recreational...type activities, I would say that you'd better have fun in the car then play your rounds. Ton's of kiddos and families around.

Thanks for everyones advice. Since my parents are snow birds I will be checking out some of the other courses around the area next "Winter" when we make the trip up there again.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I will edit the photo's and put them up soon. They be too large.

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »
Hey Bitter! if you have the pictures hosted elsewhere you can just call the URL using an img tag.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SKabubx.gif[/img]

Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »
How deep is that water?

Hey Bitter! if you have the pictures hosted elsewhere you can just call the URL using an img tag.

Like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/SKabubx.gif[/img]