Author Topic: Water Works Wide Open 2013  (Read 1730 times)

coops

Re: Water Works Wide Open 2013
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 09:00:56 AM »
I guess here is the point: some of the best 'pucker factor' holes aren't the hardest; they are the easy shots you know you should be able to make but also know you'll get penalized for if you cannot.

Think hole 17 at Winthrop Gold. Not a hard shot in and of itself, but remarkably hard when you see the bales and the water and the tunnel through the trees.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
I'm all for yellow roping that narrow straight fairway.  It definitely takes the preferred roller shot out of play or makes it a lot more difficult, depending on the player's confidence level with their roller.

The over the road shot is just gimmicky to me.  Fun, for sure, but I can understand the safety concerns.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
I've heard tell of a long placement over the road on 14. Why isn't that used?!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12:10 AM »
sleeve diameter is too small, although you could adopt the hole and change that!
espouse elucidation

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Well how much would it cost? Have people chip in an extra dollar (if they want) at league until June and surely you'd have enough.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:08 PM »
I've heard tell of a long placement over the road on 14. Why isn't that used?!

Because 14 long by the road is a better hole. Never mind all the speed of play issues playing across the street would bring.

Fair enough, just throwing it out there. Literally and figuratively...
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Loomis

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »
I'm all for yellow roping that narrow straight fairway.  It definitely takes the preferred roller shot out of play or makes it a lot more difficult, depending on the player's confidence level with their roller.

The over the road shot is just gimmicky to me.  Fun, for sure, but I can understand the safety concerns.

The word, "GIMMICKY" doesn't fit with disc golf and should ceased to be used in critiques. The USDGC course could be called gimmicky from top to bottom; Swope with rope could easily be called gimmicky. Unless you expect every course to be a links-styled course with no real challenges other than distance being the standard, disc golf requires - demands - that new obstacles, challenges and risks be included to make a course "interesting" and those gimmicks are what make disc golf interesting. Of the top ten rated courses in America, almost every single one of them would be considered, "gimmicky" or rather... "challenging."

12 on the peninsula is hard because most people don't know how to play it - even locals. It's not an easy two and is often not three'd. The more you play it the easier it gets, but that is no guarantee that you will do well on the hole. This is why there is a pin placement there in the first place. No one freaks out when the pin is in the long positions but people do freak out MORE when they see it out on the peninsula.

Gimmicky means you don't have that throw in your bag and someone else does.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
Can I ask why we don't use a temporary teepad on top of the hill and throw towards the basket on the peninsula (like when things were under construction).

That way we can still utilize the pin placement on the hill, which is always tough to get close to safely.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 12:22:52 AM »

The word, "GIMMICKY" doesn't fit with disc golf and should ceased to be used in critiques. The USDGC course could be called gimmicky from top to bottom; Swope with rope could easily be called gimmicky. Unless you expect every course to be a links-styled course with no real challenges other than distance being the standard, disc golf requires - demands - that new obstacles, challenges and risks be included to make a course "interesting" and those gimmicks are what make disc golf interesting. Of the top ten rated courses in America, almost every single one of them would be considered, "gimmicky" or rather... "challenging."

12 on the peninsula is hard because most people don't know how to play it - even locals. It's not an easy two and is often not three'd. The more you play it the easier it gets, but that is no guarantee that you will do well on the hole. This is why there is a pin placement there in the first place. No one freaks out when the pin is in the long positions but people do freak out MORE when they see it out on the peninsula.

Gimmicky means you don't have that throw in your bag and someone else does.

In this case, gimmicky doesn't mean that.  I find the straight pins much more difficult than the peninsula.   I call it gimmicky because it's a pin that completely different in character than any other position.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
Throwing sidewise off the Tee Pad is gimmicky.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Loomis

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »
Throwing sidewise off the Tee Pad is gimmicky.
Problem solved. Make round tee pads.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
i have always thought a double mando should be in effect on 12 regardless of pin placement, not a gimmick, just a safety issue for the playgound right and 18 green/street traffic left. plus the two mando trees are like right there and the mando is like impossible to miss.
espouse elucidation

coops

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
i have always thought a double mando should be in effect on 12 regardless of pin placement, not a gimmick, just a safety issue for the playgound right and 18 green/street traffic left. plus the two mando trees are like right there and the mando is like impossible to miss.

Forcing people to play an intended fairway and adding safety is not a gimmick. I haven't played the left pin right of that tree in a while but It might make for an interesting decision. Forcing players to play inside the trees on the straight pins is absolutely a good idea. That is a tough fairway and a more than fair mando to put on it.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
Can I ask why we don't use a temporary teepad on top of the hill and throw towards the basket on the peninsula (like when things were under construction).

That way we can still utilize the pin placement on the hill, which is always tough to get close to safely.

Still curious on this. Jamie or Jack?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
no temp pads if at all possible, and then #12 moves to the middle/short which although a personal enjoyable shot not a differential shot.

12 on the "peninsula-I don't consider it that since it is on the same land that the pad/pins are" is throwing underneath trees that are overgrown, and that is the only challenge.  We want to work on the trees before the event, so it will probably be a more boring shot once we raise the trees accordingly.

Again, spew what you may, only Tracy seem to get the answer accordingly.  I posted this information not for debate, but rather to let folks know the placements, and what needs to be worked on.

Now then as for this.....
...... I dont really see an issue with the rocks tearing up discs.
I will direct all the comments I got about it then to you (Utz), that was probably the #1 complaint about the course....

1) Just because people complain doesn't mean they are right. In fact, ofttimes the opposite is true.

Really?  You don't think that putting an entire area plus 3 lines of rocks carving up discs gives a person a right to complain?  Many of these folks that come to town make their livelihood at the sport, and to them their plastic is their work equipment.  So would you go to work at a location that never really had to worry about it to now have something there that could gouge and destroy something that you may have been using for 10 years because someone thought a peace sign would cool on the green?  Why not move it closer to the station, and out of play?  I think that I just found a new person to send the messages to about the complaints we get on things that cut up my disc that don't need to be on the course comments!
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:32:23 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"