Author Topic: Axioms of Doubt: The Perry Course  (Read 3183 times)

coops

Re: Axioms of Doubt: The Perry Course
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 08:36:35 AM »
Shanan and I will be playing Perry tomorrow...!!!

Enjoy it! If I had a good excuse I'd try to skip work and join you but I think they're getting sick of the "it's wonderful weather and I don't want to be here" excuse.

coops

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »
Anyone up for a round on Thursday and maybe swing by Lawrence or topeka

What time are you talking? Likely I won't be available due to work, but I'm looking for any and every reason to get up there I can.

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »
I was thinkin 10 or 11 but I could play Lawrence in the morning and head up there after that
I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER"

coops

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
As I suspected. Enjoy.

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
I've heard rumor of par 64 as it sits now. I've shot 57 & 60 on the two times I played it, my guess would be closer to par 62, but we all know, par is really irrelevant.
iscraft Golf Discs

coops

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Sure, but it is a fun thing to look at anyway. My thoughts were

1- 3
2- 3
3- 4
4- 4
5- 4
6- 4
7- 3
8- 3
9- 4
10- 3
11- 3
12- 5
13- 4
14- 3
15- 3
16- 4
17- 3
18- 3
Total 63

I didn't get a good feel for hole 9 because we played to the wrong basket on my first go through. I think in my mind I was counting it as a 3 without knowing it and that gave me 62 but it would probably be safe to put it at a 4 for the solid 63.

coops

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
Change of plans. I realized I could drive just a bit further and get down to Jones for some GBO prep.

Anyone interested. It'll be on Saturday. Haven't decided a time yet but I'm thinking mid to late morning.

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
Hey guys!  Glad to see the talk of the coure at Perry and also to hear other's thoughts on it.  I can tell you that when Heddy, Leo and I originally walked through the first time with the ranger, the course seemed near impossible to install (tons of work) and we told him as much.  The intent was to get traffic to the campground and we told him that it could be done, but being so far out, would need to be worth the trip (ie- championship level, different style course than usual).  After MANY walk throughs with him and design layout, we proceeded to talk about how it would come about.  I can tell you the Corps (Kyle the Ranger mainly) spent a ton of money and hours on it.  We were told they had a grant to improve the parkh (a lot of money), an if they didn't use it, they would lose it.  So... we started.  I wish I would have taken pictures of what it looked like before any work was done because it is like night and day now.  It still needs a lot of fine tuning to get it to our planned layouint, but I can say compared to what we first walked into... it is CLOSE!  By close, I don't mean there isn't a ton of work yet to be done, yet, most of the work has already been done... if that makes any sense.  It was so wooded and dense when we started, after about half a dozen work days with good turnout, interest wained and the project stalled (somewhat.... Kyle still dumped tons of hours out there while working).  Anyway, over the last year, Kent Bryan spearheaded a revival to get legs under this thing and finally got pins installed.  I made it out there for the first time in about a year today and was able to play the front side, and damn, it looks sweet.  I have attached pictures of what it looked like after only a couple work days and you an see a plain as day difference compared to those posted by Loomis.  There were several placements that we had discussed that were either missing, or in the wrong locations from our original plan, but that could be remedied.  At one point, when walking through the placements, keep in mind this was with leaves on the trees, we thought par would be 54 in shorts and around 70 in longs.  If several pins are installed in spots that we intended, it could still get there.  Concerning the 'safe' greens, I agree.  Another plan of ours that will likely happen down the road is to core drill some placements into some of the massive boulders around the course creating some slippery putting.  Anyway, as Leo mentioned, when we were putting the design together, we had several thoughts...
1.  Placement would be key.  Course is long, but wouldn't advantage the monkey arms so much as the guy who can throw a 300' drive on a rope. 

2.  Course would play more like a ball golf course (don't kill me!) in that there were more par 4s, 5s, etc.. that would require you to hit spots, to be able to have a second, third shot, etc...  Strategy is going to be very important out there. 

3.  Utilize the elevation in every fashionable way. uphill, downhill, tunnels, sidehill, ravines, etc... and also have holes facing in every direction so that you would have to account for different wind on nearly every hole. 

4.  Cut down the trees we know need to come down, dead trees, obviously unneeded trees, small trees, etc... knowing that after pins were installed and play started out there it would become a little more obvious which others need to come down.  A little easier to cut a 50' tree than to wait for one to grow...

5.  How could we maintain it?  This place was a pasture at the bottom and a dense forest up top when we started.  Kyle worked out the mowing and spraying for weeds which was a HUGE help.  I wish I would havetaken a picture of the looks on everyones faces on our first work day when we started on hole 3!  It was like 'ummm, what are we doing here, and how the hell is this possible?' 

6.  As a general scope, if we were going to go through the 'gazillion' hours to get this in he ground, it better damn well make people want to play it.  Give them something that, quite honestly, I can't even compare it to in this region.  Maybe up in michigan?  Still a little to early to say if the mission was accomplished both on our end, and the Corps goal of promoting the campsite, but I think it's a damn good start.

Our hope is that by having baskets in the ground, it will light a fire and get more people out to our work days to make this thing a real beauty.  DDDC and new club president Kent Bryan is going to have another work day out there this saturday for those that want to help.  You can call him at 785-249-0803, or myself (Bren Nordgren) 785-608-8688 for more info.  All feedback is appreciated as we want to make this the most enjoyable playing experience possible.  Oh, I forgot to metion, there is actually a bar right across the street from the parking lot that I believe is open and running (I haven't been in).  The ranger said they had pretty decent food?  Other than that, pack a lunch. 

Here is the pics I took after a couple work days for reference as to how much has been done since.....
http://s674.photobucket.com/user/lsdiscs/library/#/user/lsdiscs/library/Lake%20Perry%20Course?page=1&_suid=1365131449840031520438022555003

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »
I would also like to say that the park ranger Kyle that posted above was ruthless in his efforts to keep this project going.  I can't even imagine the hours he put in out there.  I can imagine the money it took... a lot!  MAJOR props to Kyle.  He had us scared for awhile that he may have to transfer and that none of the other rangers cared nearly as much as he did and they project may die.  Anyway, Kyles the MAN!

Nicky p

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
Got to go play this course day today and it was well worth the drive. Took state ave all the way out and it to 50 mins from parking lot to parking lot from wyco 45 miles. First off I can not believe how much  work has been done to this area. Did the army core have anything to do with this because that  was the only conclusion I could come up with. If anyone is going to go I recommend reading loomis' post very carefully it is spot on. Got through 1 and 2 ok and then ran into three!       I looked for thebasket for about five mins and just decided to throw. After two throws I still was lost and finally found it just before I got so frustrated I almost left. To me that was the worst part of the whole course. Don't get me wrong this a long long long hard course  but that placement is overkill to me. Besides that I enjoyed all the other holes(12 could stand lose a couple  of trees but not to many.) Parked 1 and 14 for birdies but took plenty of fives mostly because I did not know where is was going. Just to give ppl a idea of the lay out take holes 2 through 6 at cliff and down under and add blue valley length! Ya. Shot a 66  +12
I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER"

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »
Yes it is tough to navigate at the moment until signs are installed.  The artwork is done and they are waitiing to get them back so they can be installed.  After that, it won't be so bad.  And yes, the Corps of Engineers (speerheaded by KB the park ranger) did a ton, and spent a TON!  All I needed to know was the price quotes he got from the concrete contractors to install the pads... ya, not cheap.  Pads in the middle of a forest which required clearing trees to even access them costs a little bit!  Anyway, several DDDC club members have devoeted a TON of time out there as well.  I hardly recognized the place when I drove up this afternoon.  Kind got my blood flowing a little bit!  Also, it's quite the workout just to navigate a round out there.  Glad you made your way around!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »
If anyone is going to go I recommend reading loomis' post very carefully it is spot on.

except the left is NOT 89th street, turn on 86th street...

Other than that, I had Loomis' review on hand at just about every hole...

THIS COURSE IS AMAZINGLY FUN AND CHALLENGING!!!!!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
Course would play more like a ball golf course (don't kill me!) in that there were more par 4s, 5s, etc.. that would require you to hit spots, to be able to have a second, third shot, etc...  Strategy is going to be very important out there. 

To me this is the very necessary step that disc golf must take, in order to move "to the next level" of sporting events. I will be playing this course ASAP. Thanks for all your hard work!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
When's the first tournament on it?
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »
WOW! I haven't had that much fun shooting over 70 since playing Idlewild. Took a seven on hole three but the guy I played with had a beautiful three. My favorite hole was probably 13.

We met Ranger Kyle and some other park folks during the round. They were spreading seed and doing other course work. The place will get nothing but better.

The course appears to be tipped out right now with the shorter pins looking quite a bit easier. Great pads, and benches on most holes. We got through it in just over 2 hours.

It was about 1.25 hours taking 24 across but well worth the drive and I hope to get back out there soon.

Go Play This Course!!!