Author Topic: Why did you join the KCFDC?  (Read 736 times)

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Why did you join the KCFDC?
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
This is a thread to get some information from membership, or not, about why they joined the KCFDC.

Rob Martin attended our last meeting and via some discussion he mentioned he joined the club, though he lives in Lawrence, because of the opportunity to play in the club championships. Why did you join?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:09:12 PM by ekolk »

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you join the KCFDC?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »
I felt guilty playing these awesome courses for free. 8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
To get crap from Jack! ;D
Steven Disc Glover

Loomis

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
To pick up chicks.

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »
When I started playing in 2010, the discount we received at Disc Golf World made joining an easier decision.  Now, I re-up every year for bag tags, to support the Wide Open, and for the opportunity to compete for a spot on the EAST SIDE challenge team!
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:24:49 PM »
When I started playing in 2010, the discount we received at Disc Golf World made joining an easier decision.  Now, I re-up every year for bag tags, to support the Wide Open, and for the opportunity to compete for a spot on the EAST SIDE challenge team!

I joined to get thumber lessons from Vinnie.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »

I joined to get thumber lessons from Vinnie.

With a teebird that is...
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

coops

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »
If you play 20+ leagues a summer there is no reason not to join.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
Part of the club is the leagues.

I've never been a fan of leagues.  Not a fan of the, 'pay your dues' mentality.  I joined a disc club, not a fraternity.

Played league in Lawrence and wasn't overly impressed. 

Played couple of times at Swope and was a little more impressed just because Van has it nailed down.

This PDGA league that Jack has, I'm digging it.  While the kinks are still being worked out, for me it is worth the league buy-in even if I don't win any KC Kash.  When I do win, it is totally a bonus - but not a reason to play.

Maybe a possibility to grow the KCFDC, and/or grow the commitment level of those that are members, is to explore more PDGA leagues.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »
Here goes.....

I joined the league after moving here from Chicago to get married (1999).  I had been playing disc golf for about 20 years very loosely and when I visited KC, I was ALWAYS impressed with the courses and their presentation.  I had played at that point probably about 200 places, and no where that I had been was near as nice as KC in their upkeep.  Since living in Chicago really meant driving at least 20 miles (read almost an hour to get there) to play, I had set up an "urban disc golf course" of which we would hit Harpo Studios for hole #16 (Oprah).  Well, although we had concrete pads, it really tore up the discs.

So when I got married, and got a job, I found Disc Golf World and asked how they look good.  Rick was very helpful in explaining to me that there is a large local club (at the time over 100 active members) and in fact they are hosting the Am World's this year. 

Now a little side note, I had played Olathe with the rubber buckets in the past, had seen Swope been remodeled from time to time already in my visits.  I searched for WW the week after it went in, and ended up so far north of Parkville, that I still think St. Joe was closer...but I was in KC 3-4x/yr, and typically brought in a disc golf friend with me, and we loved it.  Seeing that over the years (I did live in KC from 90-92) really helped to form an opinion that people matter.

I promised myself that I would help be a part of the group to build on a sport that I have an enjoyment level for.  I asked Rick how to help, he said to join the club.  I did, and I delved into areas that I felt I could help.  I got railroaded into joining excited to become part of the EC (Executive Board at the Time) and started to tun New Players League after Paul Eklund decided he didn't want to run it any longer (love that it is still going after all these years!).

Since then, the people that I have met, and have some of the best friendships over the time here has established that not only is it a good thing for the community, but it is a good thing for the psyche of ones own self.  There are so many good people, and to see that growth over the past 12-13 years that I have been here is great (3 area places to play to now over 30 within 30 minutes). 

That sense of pride, determination to make our city shine amongst so many others is a prideful item, and that is something that can only be done in groups of great people.  Do we all get along, no, do all courses like the KCFDC and the membership, no.  But we can all agree on is that the collectives of group, and the determination has helped to spur activity outward that allows to play more courses.

It does though have pains, as many are not aware of the need to have the membership work towards each of their courses, and develop pride to make yours the best.  Everything comes at a price, and our price is time effort and energy.  Joining the club shows that you are a giving person not only to the current time, but also to the past efforts that have helped to fuel the growth locally.

Kansas City Disc Golf Club works hard, and respects the sport, and the people that play it.  We work with our municipalities at bringing in top tier events, and local events for everyone to enjoy.

For me the choice is simple.  Be a part of something bigger than myself, and help where I can.  It all started by realizing that KC is hands down about the best set of courses on this planet, and too many people have worked hard over the years to make it happen, and I want to help to keep it happening.  I do so by joining the club.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
I joined way back when the club was first getting started because I had just discovered disc golf and dug the sh1t out of it. I still do and am still a member.  8)

When I joined there were people building steps from #9 down to #10 at Rosedale on their own time with their own money and materials and Rosedale was one of only two courses in the area. Now look at what we have. Thank you KCFDC and all of the members and hangers on that have done so much work for so long to make KC the disc golf mecca it is today.

The club is a living breathing organism that has changed in many ways over the years but the one thing that has held true is its commitment to the betterment of disc golf in the KC area and elsewhere around the country and even the world.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
SUPER !LIKE!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

spnachio

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
I joined because KC is the best disc golf city in the world. Gotta be a part of the club. Of course friendships, leagues, club championships, tags, kcfdc.org, and all the tourneys the club helps put on kinda help too.