Author Topic: Disc Golf IQ  (Read 2754 times)

Loomis

Disc Golf IQ
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
I was out at Swope today and there were a couple of newbie loopers playing the course. On each hole they would toss one or two different discs with various results. That's what made me think they were newbies; choosing to throw a vulcan, hard, as a hyzer disc and watching it flip over. They were stunned with the results and with each awe-inspiring outcome they would voice a formulated explanation as to why the disc behaved the way it did; "I turned over my wrist" or "didn't get around on it enough" stuff like that. The more talented of the two (based on the success to failure rate of his throws) would claim only on successful throws that he watched a lot of Feldberg videos and that he has spoken to "a local pro" who had given him some pointers. When his throws didn't work out, "the disc slipped." If he was using Feldberg's advice, he certainly wasn't applying Feldy's techniques to his throws. Other than the fact that the disc left the tee pad headed in the right general direction, very little of his throw looked like Feldy's tips to throwing. Not that I thought I was going to see a Feldberg Jr. in this guy's throw, but this guy was doing nothing that Feldberg teaches.

It's not easy to assist someone trying to improve their game. What works for me may not work for you. And if you look at a cross section of the world's best disc golfers you will see a multitude of various styles and approaches to the game. Ever see Josh Anthon play? No one does what he does, but shouldn't they? Other than Bradley Williams, I don't know anyone who putts like Nikko. Tank's putting is wildly successful... for him. Cale Leviska and Dave Feldberg are polar opposites in their approaches to the game, yet both are successful. So who's advice should you follow?

If you go on the internet and go youtubin' you should be able to find three or four dozen videos on how to improve your putting, your drive, your grip, your distance, etc.. I think everyone watches these videos at some point in their development - well, newer players probably do, I can't say that for people who have been playing a long time - but how helpful are they for everyone? Is there a single video that really works for everyone who sees it (other than Cram's GBO wind putt? ) ? Which brings me to my friggin' point after all this blusterin'.

What is the formula for disc golf success? Certainly there are enough talented pros out there filled with opinions and a willingness to share what they know, but who do you listen to? Considering the variables of talent, experience, physical make up, athleticism, disc choices, etc. What do you need to be say.. A scratch golfer? A pro?

I think there is probably a way to determine someone's disc golf IQ based on some goofy algorithm involving technique, experience, etc. And to be clear, I don't claim to know what it is, but listening to those two guys who haven't been playing disc golf that long - or that well - it's certainly interesting to ponder what makes someone "insightful" into the sport.

I didn't say anything to the two guys, deciding that I was no one to tell them right from wrong. And I was out there playing an invisible course with a portable basket, so they must have thought I was nuts to begin with. Would you listen to someone walking around with, and throwing at, a portable basket and then saying, "Damn, that's OB" when you can't see the OB yourself?

What Would Feldberg Do?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golf IQ
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »
What Would Feldberg Do?

Carry a bunch of discs and complain a lot.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
I've struggled with this subject a lot. I can throw a disc a country mile, but can't hit the broad side of a barn when it comes to putting the damn thing in the basket. I've watched countless videos of Will, feldberg, reading...but they are ALL different. I've talked to Tank about it, but his putt is tough to imitate in my opinion.

I don't know that there is a "right" way to do things when it comes down to it. Practice is what gets the job done along with confidence in your technique. 

Someday my putts will fall...someday.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
I don't know that there is a "right" way to do things when it comes down to it. Practice is what gets the job done along with confidence in your technique. 

2 items that help the most
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Loomis

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
I agree with the practice makes perfect concept, however; how do you know if you are practicing the right techniques?

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
I agree with the practice makes perfect concept, however; how do you know if you are practicing the right techniques?

Define the "right" technique...I don't think you can.

Also, I had a coach growing up that said practice makes persistent. Practice does not make perfect.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Loomis

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »
That's my point, Jordan. If you don't know the right technique, what are you practicing then?

coops

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »

That will certainly be a scary day for all of us.

My beliefs are far too many to post all of them here but as it pertains to putting think about his one simple thought: the goal of putting is simply putting the disc in the basket. Go out and watch a new player with average athleticism and you will see them hit probably more than their fair share of putts. Their minds are clear and their fear-inducing memories too few to prevent them from just winging it in.

Putting is almost 99% mental. Most people contain the necessary physical skills to throw a disc 35'. The rest is purely mind.

coops

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »

Define the "right" technique...I don't think you can.

Also, I had a coach growing up that said practice makes persistent. Practice does not make perfect.

I grew up with a band teacher that oft said "Practices doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect".

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
"perfect practice makes perfect" is a quote that a friend of mine uses all the time as he trains bball players .  not just going out and practicing any old thing.  truly practicing a regiment in any sport takes discipline, planning, and adjustments to fix what is incorrect. 

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
That's my point, Jordan. If you don't know the right technique, what are you practicing then?

Where I'm at is just picking one and sticking with it.  The problem is, I've got 5 different putting styles running through my head and haven't decided on one.  Thus, I release the putter and think to myself, "what the F was that supposed to be?" It cost me dearly this past weekend in Branson.  I've done so much as switching putters, but at the end of the day, it's the mental capacity as Cooper mentioned that really matters.  I can change technique, putter, stance, anything under the sun and it not matter if I don't have confidence that the putt will fall.

Living in an apartment complex and not having a basket in the backyard anymore doesn't help things either.   :o
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:40 PM »
The video I learned the most from was of me.  I really thought I was throwing the disc a certain way and found out I was not even close to what I thought I was doing.  IMHO this was the best way to "correct" your form.  If you can see it, you might be able to change it.

The other vids helped me try to pick a "technique", but again, we are all pretty different. Just because some one is successful with a given method, does not mean that is the best way for everyone else.
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Loomis

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
I just changed putters again to the MERCY (as well as a bunch of other plastic) and then played the Monkey Island... I shot an 868 rated round... 8... 6.... 8. Came in DFL. I have technique and confidence, but not so much with the new plastic. Yet.

I have the GBO this weekend and I have to figure out what I am going to do; stick with familiar plastic or go with the new stuff.

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
What Would Feldberg Do?

Carry a bunch of discs and complain a lot.
Now that is funny
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
I believe Hinck has it right when it comes to having confidence in your own technique. There's so many different styles if you watch the pros. Different grip, different speed of run-up, different reach-back, different follow-through. On putts: different grip, different stance, different loft, different spin, etc. I think people do what works for them and what feels natural and it translates to better results for some than for most others. I'm in the most others boat. ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555