Author Topic: Disc Golf IQ  (Read 2751 times)

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Disc Golf IQ
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »
I am still trying to figure this all out. I am slowly creeping up to a year playing, if you count winter time where I did not throw a disc. I usually look where I want to throw it, say a silent prayer and throw. Does it work? Heck no! I try to watch the vets throwing and I tend to ask a lot of questions, which can probably get annoying. I need to find this Church of the Flying Disc God!
Where'd my disc go?
KCFDC #:  1472
PDGA#:  54955

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
I am still trying to figure this all out. I am slowly creeping up to a year playing, if you count winter time where I did not throw a disc. I usually look where I want to throw it, say a silent prayer and throw. Does it work? Heck no! I try to watch the vets throwing and I tend to ask a lot of questions, which can probably get annoying. I need to find this Church of the Flying Disc God!

Something I think helps develop your throwing is to play catch. Another thing that will improve your game fast is to take all your discs and go throw them out in an open filed such as a soccer field or baseball field. Playing rounds doesn;t give you enough reps to learn how to make the discs go where you want them to.

Loomis

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
So how helpful are the videos you see on youtubular?

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 04:01:13 PM »
KC has no pros. No one practices here. I told LaRon that just the other day. No one has a practice regiment.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Loomis

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »
I have quite a few drills that I do on a weekly basis. So I do practice.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

Something I think helps develop your throwing is to play catch. Another thing that will improve your game fast is to take all your discs and go throw them out in an open filed such as a soccer field or baseball field. Playing rounds doesn;t give you enough reps to learn how to make the discs go where you want them to.

This. But doing the field thing takes dedication-- let's face it, that's booooring compared to playing an actual round --but perhaps that dedication makes the difference between an average player and an exceptional one.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »

This. But doing the field thing takes dedication-- let's face it, that's booooring compared to playing an actual round --but perhaps that dedication makes the difference between an average player and an exceptional one.

it does take dedication. I live on 14 acres but I would be lying if I said I go out and play catch with myself. I keep telling myself I need too, but do I? Heck No...I try to play same courses, so I get repetition and I was seeing my score slowly drop last year. Then Winter hit...now I feel like I am almost back to square one.

I even bought one of those DVDs with Ken Climo and some other dude in it, when I purchased some discs online. It's given me a few pointers but I need to work on my drives. I thought I was doing awesome getting 350-400 feet on drives until I played with a guy who was almost doubling that...it was an ego crusher.
Where'd my disc go?

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

it does take dedication. I live on 14 acres but I would be lying if I said I go out and play catch with myself. I keep telling myself I need too, but do I? Heck No...I try to play same courses, so I get repetition and I was seeing my score slowly drop last year. Then Winter hit...now I feel like I am almost back to square one.

I even bought one of those DVDs with Ken Climo and some other dude in it, when I purchased some discs online. It's given me a few pointers but I need to work on my drives. I thought I was doing awesome getting 350-400 feet on drives until I played with a guy who was almost doubling that...it was an ego crusher.

Doubling a 400' drive? What kind of downhill course are you playing my friend?!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

rickrose2007

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
Maybe that was an exaggeration but I did see a guy throwing like 450-500 feet in Manhattan, KS. I was talking to him before the round and telling him I was trying to build my arm strength up and stuff and how I thought I was doing quite well and he kinda laughed. I am happy to hit 300 ft with my drives but I am more happy when I hit my lines and the disc actually does what I want it too...
Where'd my disc go?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
KC has no pros. No one practices here. I told LaRon that just the other day. No one has a practice regiment.

I don't think that is a true statement at all.  We just really don't have any strong touring pro's.  We have plenty of talented people that practice in their own way, but none that have their sole existence in Disc Golf.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
I meant touring pros, so you've got me on that one. But who? It's a city of Masters and has-beens IMO. I never see anyone practicing. I've never been shared a training regiment by anyone. Its just round after round. I wonder if anyone really wants to get better around these parts --- or just sit back and have "fun" on par 54 courses.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
With 20+ courses, you may not see the people practicing all the time, but they are out there.  Backyard puttings....open field rollers.....just cuz they don't announce it to you doesn't mean that no one is out there doing it.....private courses.......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Loomis

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Minna and I practice in the field at Rosedale often. We also like to employ various small plots of land around KC that are suitable for one or two temp holes of our design. You see these plots of land next to apartment complexes, car dealerships, in business parks, or just randomly along the side of the road. We are not touring pros, but we practice. I started playing in 2007 and I think I have improved at a pretty predictable pace. I would attribute my willingness to practice as the reason for this improvement.

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »

I agree with this...  Playing catch is so helpful for me.  I try to play at least 10 minutes of catch before a game to warm my arm up so I don't tear my shoulder and as a byproduct I discovered you get so many reps in and is more fun than throwing at a basket and walking back.  I also learn from who I am playing with whether they are directly teaching me something or watching what they are working on.  I have a field by my work and set up practice basket up during lunch and go through drills.  I am one that does get enjoyment out of working drills.  I would love to go out with people and do drills with them.  You get so much more out of your time when you can have someone else there working on the same thing.  I also have a phone that takes 60fps and have an app called coaches eye for breaking down my throw.  Unfortunately I never end up filming myself.  I have a lot of videos but they are all from course practice.  I would be happy to take turns on video practicing in a field.

What practice routines does everyone that does have a routine do??

My drills -

Putting drills - Using 4 putters I mark my spot and if I make all five I move back approx 5 ft.  This is the one I always start with and then add one of the others listed.

Driving drills - I put the pin on the other side of the field.  Unfortunately as the park is a fairly open space I cant use real obstacles so I just imagine trees and mark some OB out with the minis I have in my trunk.  I then empty my bag trying to get through the imaginary obstacles to the practice pin.

Roller drills - I have not worked on this much and believe I should start soon.

Trouble shot (Back and forehand) -  There is a creek by the park so I set the pin up in various places in the open and toss a mini into the treeline and work on discovering the best option for the scenario.
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »
Being fairly new to the game, but with significant coaching experience,  I would suggest a couple things. First,  there are many "styles," but there are many fundamenals. In other words, there ar some "wrong" techniques that can and should be corrected. Videos ar good for that. Coaches teaches and friends are good.

Second, repatition of good fundementals is imporant. That is good practice. Foot work, stance, follow through and other fundementals are important and common to all sports. The more you work on them, the better you will get. That will also improve confidence and remove much of the head game. I would bet that Louiseville bball teamstll does a lot of basic shooting drills. Come gametime, unique situations can be dealt with.

Also practice difficult situations.  Coach K will run his offense against 6 or 7 defensive players.

Lots and lots of practice. Listen to all who are good.. try new techniques. Use what works and what works for you.

Just some thoughts.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48