Author Topic: Disc Golf IQ  (Read 2883 times)

coops

Re: Disc Golf IQ
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:15 PM »
I meant touring pros, so you've got me on that one. But who? It's a city of Masters and has-beens IMO. I never see anyone practicing. I've never been shared a training regiment by anyone. Its just round after round. I wonder if anyone really wants to get better around these parts --- or just sit back and have "fun" on par 54 courses.

I practice quite a bit if you'll accept throwing without playing a round as practice. If you were to watch what I do I actually very rarely play an entire round. I jump around on the course, play safari, throw multiple shots and put and play out every single one. I would be happy to practice with you Utz but my practice time can be sort of sporadic due to varied departure times from work. I often hit up Rosey, Wyco, PC, Birdland, or SMP after work and that can be anywhere from 2pm to 5pm and from 20 minutes to a couple hours depending on weather, busyness of the course, physical fatigue, and specific concerns for upcoming tournaments.

Where to you live closest to and when can you go out?

coops

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
I also have a phone that takes 60fps and have an app called coaches eye for breaking down my throw.  Unfortunately I never end up filming myself.  I have a lot of videos but they are all from course practice.  I would be happy to take turns on video practicing in a field.

Totally game after the GBO is done. I try to limit form considerations and 'practice' mindset right before tournaments in favor of moving into a more 'trusting' mindset so I can have the confidence required.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
I agree with the practice makes perfect concept, however; how do you know if you are practicing the right techniques?

Define the "right" technique...I don't think you can.

Also, I had a coach growing up that said practice makes persistent. Practice does not make perfect.

The right technique is the one that makes the disc nail the basket in fewer strokes than the competition.  The right technique is a combination of what works for you and having fun making it work.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Loomis

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
So how does one improve their Disc Golf IQ? The intangibles which makes you a better player...

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
Now this is what I'm talking about. I'm just lookin to razzle some people up.

Cooper: I'm looking for practice on Mondays and Wednesdays, after 5pm. Any off weekend of tournaments, i'd rather keep my game in shape with repetitious throwing. It's inevitable that we'll be called into situations that require us to play casual rounds on said practice days, but if we get a good enough rotation, that wont matter.

In my case of practice, I need to explore shots that are over 300 feet, with special disc flight characteristics. Tee shots essentially. I've got a pretty solid regiment of midrange and putting that I stick to.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

coops

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »
Now this is what I'm talking about. I'm just lookin to razzle some people up.

Cooper: I'm looking for practice on Mondays and Wednesdays, after 5pm. Any off weekend of tournaments, i'd rather keep my game in shape with repetitious throwing. It's inevitable that we'll be called into situations that require us to play casual rounds on said practice days, but if we get a good enough rotation, that wont matter.

In my case of practice, I need to explore shots that are over 300 feet, with special disc flight characteristics. Tee shots essentially. I've got a pretty solid regiment of midrange and putting that I stick to.

That is where the problem is. Since I live in Lawrence I'm very rarely still in KC (or rather, starting to practice) after 5pm. If I start at 4 I might go till 5:30 or 6 but the only other way I stay that late is for league, which is usually in addition to practice.

Off weekends would be good. And Perry would be a good course for it! You can play AND learn things up there.

quinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 09:52:53 PM »
Hemme loves reading golf books and highly suggested The Inner Game of Golf. . 

Utz - You will love this this book.  It discusses practice routines and the mental approach to winning. 

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Hemme loves reading golf books and highly suggested The Inner Game of Golf. . 

Utz - You will love this this book.  It discusses practice routines and the mental approach to winning.

Along those same lines, Pete Cashen has recommended The Inner Game of Tennis.  He may have been trying to tell me something.   8)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »
I like the Inner Game of (Home)Brew.
(Home) is optional.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »
I'm a new player and do practice my putting. At work , I will put a trash can in the shop and throw with the kids. I also live close to Legacy and hit 9 or the practice basket. CD showed me  a way that works for me and it does. I watched every video I could find on you tube some helped others did not. During my practice time , I found out that 1 putter didn't work for me. I use three, 1 flat , 1  hyser and 1 from 20 + feet. Works for me.
Now, , I am a musician and know that bad practice makes bad play. My long game sucks. I know I'm old and fat but when I go and throw all my disc most of the time the drivers all go the same, not that far. I am afraid I am making bad habits. I can not break some of my guitar playing habit because there are years at work there, habits I wish I didn't have.

By The way , when I was out throwing 50 feet as a new player, a nice young man came over to me and showed me how to double my throw, politely.

Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

coops

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »
My personal favorite book is Fearless Golf by Dr. Gio Valiante. Unlike a lot of golf psychology books it has almost no mention of technique for golf. Many others devote quite a large percentage of the book to grip position and various other tips that have nothing to do with our version of golf.

Loomis

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
I've noticed that a lot of players are doing YOGA to help their game.

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »
I am still trying to figure this all out. I am slowly creeping up to a year playing, if you count winter time where I did not throw a disc. I usually look where I want to throw it, say a silent prayer and throw. Does it work? Heck no! I try to watch the vets throwing and I tend to ask a lot of questions, which can probably get annoying. I need to find this Church of the Flying Disc God!

Something I think helps develop your throwing is to play catch. Another thing that will improve your game fast is to take all your discs and go throw them out in an open filed such as a soccer field or baseball field. Playing rounds doesn;t give you enough reps to learn how to make the discs go where you want them to.

This is GREAT advise. This is the way I learned what my discs do and what I need to do to make them do it.  I used the two practice football fields at Liberty HS. They are side by side and lined so I could better see the flight of the disc and throw with all direction of wind. I was there one Sat for my daughter's volleyball tournament and had a 45min break between each match.

I must have thrown my bag (all discs that is :)) 20-25 times. All directions of wind, hyzer,anhyzer, backhand, forehand, tomhawk, thumber.  My arm was sore, but I learned a lot.

Another thing is understanding disc stability and how it is effected by various factors like arm speed, wind, spin, etc.   
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

sportwood

• Am Poster
  • Chris Portwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2013, 10:07:16 AM »
I'm a new player and do practice my putting. At work , I will put a trash can in the shop and throw with the kids. I also live close to Legacy and hit 9 or the practice basket. CD showed me  a way that works for me and it does. I watched every video I could find on you tube some helped others did not. During my practice time , I found out that 1 putter didn't work for me. I use three, 1 flat , 1  hyser and 1 from 20 + feet. Works for me.
Now, , I am a musician and know that bad practice makes bad play. My long game sucks. I know I'm old and fat but when I go and throw all my disc most of the time the drivers all go the same, not that far. I am afraid I am making bad habits. I can not break some of my guitar playing habit because there are years at work there, habits I wish I didn't have.

By The way , when I was out throwing 50 feet as a new player, a nice young man came over to me and showed me how to double my throw, politely.

Mick

Hey...  I may not be the best player pdga rated 772 and hope to break the 800s after the GBO but I can drive a ways and love to teach.  I find I learn more in an hour teaching than I do in days personal of practice time.  My brother an 882 rated player and I go out every weekend and love to have newer players with us.  I know I would be happy to have you join us and Andy and I will impart any knowledge we can.
Thanks,
Chris Portwood
Technology Team
PDGA# 55595

Loomis

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:11 AM »
Utz. I'm shocked you don't already have a formula for evaluating Disc Golf IQ. Something like years played divided by courses played multiplied by the player's handicap, or something like that. Which qualities of a player best determines his or her knowledge of the game?