Author Topic: Cliff Drive Work Day May 18th-NE Neighborhood Cleanup Day alignment  (Read 1322 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Some of you may remember a time long ago when when had the Great American Cleanup, and it always coincided with the Cliff Drive workdays to build a better course.  There used to not be a hole #3-#8......these workdays helped over the years to fuel that additional playing ability within the park. Planning on like 8-1.

Though the GAC is no longer part of the plan, the following events:
https://www.facebook.com/events/323248544444488/?ref=ts&fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/events/105618366304425/

Will help to make this a better place for all of us to enjoy.

With the Northeast Neighborhood cleanup this day, it is a great day to show the rest of the community how strong we are. This day we would like to remove trash, and honeysuckle primarily along the new hole area. We would ask that you bring gloves, rakes, and if you have them chainsaws. Food and drink will be provided, we will probably go from 8-1pm, and then possibly play some golf as well!

I would say that we really need extra hands to help as we clear out items, and trash is going to be high on the priority for the first 50' of the clearing.  As we chop out the honeysuckle, the trash is there.  Rakes, and shovels will be helpful in this respect.  But extra hands are always needed. 

This is a chance to really show the community how we can come together and help.  I know that this course won't be used for the Wide Open, but this course can be used for the continued improvements on how we as a club, and you as members make a difference within the community.  This is only done through the actions you bring forward.  Please plan on helping out for a few hours, even if only an hour, and lets make a strong showing at how we are a force to be reckoned with.

Thanks,

Jack
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:35:32 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Just a reminder that I plan on being out there this Saturday.

I will probably be out there from 8-1pm.

I really would like to have extra hands if you can make it.

I plan on attempting to do a lot of honeysuckle removal with
http://www.misterhoneysuckle.com/
AS you can see though, getting an extra set of hands in there will help immensely. 
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
If I show up it will be after work (on the nightshift now) so there's no telling what kind of shape I'll be in. Will do my best, though! ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Mike!   Just glad you are back to work!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Well....If you have a lawn mower, bring it, we need to do some mowing out there this weekend probably first before the removal of the Honeysuckle, though if we have enough people, weed wackers and mowers will do some damage.  Here goes the list.....
#1-Clean up to the SW of the Long basket area, take down trees that are already fallen in the area.  Mow around the green and area to the short pin (45-75 minutes).  Remove trash on hillside off tee, and clean/clear honeysuckle on side of hill. (On going, but about 2 hours or so)
#2-Mow the fairway areas, and up the path, and the green area (45 minutes), remove HoneySuckle behind pin to the NE if time allows (couple of hours)
#3-Mow Fairway(30 minutes), remove Honeysuckle along the cliff (About an hour), take chainsaw to the downed tree by the pad (20-30 minutes, but P&R may do this), weedwack the side of the hill where you can by the road. (20-30 minutes)
#4-Mow fairway(45-60 minutes), clean up downed trees
#5-Mow off the tee area Up to stairs (35 minutes), clear/clean trail from #4 short, remove downed tree(15 minutes), remove honeysuckle to Chestnut to allow for mowers to get in there on perm basis(couple of hours), clean up around the green to the NW, and long placement clean up. (mowing, etc, probably like 30 minutes)
#6-Big thanks to Ted Keith for knocking out some work on the rocklined fairway!  Mow the fairway(20 minutes), replace the cairn that was housed to put downed tree stuff compost to the right(15-25 minutes), remove trees that are downed/dead/broken (20-30 minutes)
#7-Clear hillside on the middle pin area with a weed wacker (20-30 minutes)
Mow up along the cliff to #8 pad that they seem to be missing (40 minutes)
#8-Mow by the tee area (15 minutes), weed wack on the side of the hill (30-45 minutes), try to remove new honeysuckle sprouts (20-30 minutes), gathering rocks to put up by teeing area so mowers will mow hillside area. (ongoing as you play) Remove dead trees Limbs by the stage area, and clean up around there.  Mow around the long placement area.  Maybe the mini course hole there as well, possibly plant some native flowers on the corners of the stage...
#10-Long placement clean up/mow,  (20 minutes)

really if we tackle some of these items, the rest of the course is in pretty good shape.  If you can't make it out there, but you can attack one of these items, please do so.  Your love and support really helps the course continue to be great.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
You gonna be up for watching Redwings/Blackhawks game 2 at Blue Line afterward?
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Possibly, I do have to go and grab the girls though, but they can enjoy the Blue Line with dad just as much, and probably enjoy the backlash of father daughter hatred for the other's team.. ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Possibly, I do have to go and grab the girls though, but they can enjoy the Blue Line with dad just as much, and probably enjoy the backlash of father daughter hatred for the other's team.. ;D

Aw yeah, that'd be sweet. Marley in your right ear, me in your left ear, we're gonna make an angry Blackhawk fan outta you dude!
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Jack, I'm sorry but I won't be making this workday nor the following day at Water Works. They offered me OT at the job all weekend and I really need to catch up on lost funds. Just can't do it this time bro.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
hmmmmm coincidence that the BlackHawks tore up a dead tire last night and your "sudden OT", as the hockey team won't see any OT cuz they are already working on getting their shafts shiny......for the little white ball that many of the high priced LOSERS will be playing starting next week.....

I find it odd this OT you speak of currently.

Suffice it to say though your hours of service this year have been met on the course, and as such your time away for "whatever lie I am able to make up so I don't have to listen to Jack tell me how bad Detroit is at hockey" is approved. ;)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Drive Work Day May 18th-NE Neighborhood Cleanup Day alignment
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
Yeah, there is that as well.  ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
Okay so I ended up making the work day after all, and the Redwings beat the Blackhawks 4-1 to tie their series up at a game apiece. ;D

A productive day was had by these fellows:

8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Okay so I ended up making the work day after all, and the Redwings beat the Blackhawks 4-1 to tie their series up at a game apiece. ;D

A productive day was had by these fellows:

8)

Good work boys in my best Chief WIggums voice
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
the things you see when you don't have a gun

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »
A big special THANK YOU to Beckett Carduff who came out yesterday all day and did some more major removal on the honeysuckle, and removed a ton (ok not a ton, but at least 5 trash bags worth) of old cans that had made its way down the area we are looking to reclaim.

Many of you don't remember the hole that played from where current #2 is through the woods to where #11 is basically, (we stayed on the same side of the road though) but alas that is the area that we are working on.  It is going to take more and more work to make this a reality, but overall this is going to be a wonderful addition to the course, and will make this course even more desirable for many to enjoy.

I can't thank those of you continuing to work and helping in the ways that the park needs it.  For all of us that take time out of our lives to make the park better I thank you.  The work that we are doing not only is beneficial to our sport, but to the overall community as we work towards the elimination of areas that inappropriate activity can harbor, and spread.  That work makes all of us that work to better the community a strong partner in our efforts to help build the communities that we play in better.

Without the work and the volunteers of not only club members, but casual golfers, and passer byes alike, nothing woul get done.  Even as someone put it last night, "I don't make it to many of the activities, but everytime I play I pick up some trash" is all that you do, trust me you are helping the cause.  If enough people see others picking up items, soon people will be picking them up more than they release them.  That starts a trend, and gosh darnit, we are smart enough, pretty enough, and people like us.  Let's make them love us.

I thank you for the work out there.  I look forward to working with many of you more and more to build a great course in a city deserving of it.

Thank you.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"