Author Topic: Cliff Drive Work Day May 18th-NE Neighborhood Cleanup Day alignment  (Read 1279 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Drive Work Day May 18th-NE Neighborhood Cleanup Day alignment
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
Tact, in this situation, would be to take the personal issues offline.  There's no need to air dirty laundry or hard feelings on the message board.  Just my opinion, of course.  I've poked and prodded in the past too, but i don't let my gripes with others taint the general candor of the message board.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:21 PM »
Tact, in this situation, would be to take the personal issues offline.  There's no need to air dirty laundry or hard feelings on the message board.  Just my opinion, of course.  I've poked and prodded in the past too, but i don't let my gripes with others taint the general candor of the message board.

but It's more enjoyable for us....
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

coops

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 09:30:21 PM »

Brian, I tried that. I've learned that it isn't a good idea to confront some people when there are 'no witnesses' present. I've done my dead-level best to keep everything above board and devoid of personal attacks and save a few digs have done so. The point I was making about a lack of a response is directly related to the issue and I think part of the 'general candor' you speak of.

My only goal through this entire thing has been to do what I can for the betterment of the club. I think that when facing my impending departure I've realized that I wish that I'd done more. I've played a role in a lot of work days at PC and one at Lakeside Hills (would have done more but was as surprised as the rest of us when it went in!) but am wishing that I'd tried more to add to the discourse.

I believe that there are a lot of people, like me, that have ideas but are too afraid of being shouted down by the powers that be. If I can give people a little more courage my job will be done.

I can't reiterate enough that none of this is personal. I'm arguing with Jack in particular because I think he is wrong just as I've done with many other people. I think that his lack of response is endemic of a culture that must be broken through if we really want to increase club participation. (Notice, it is his lack of response, not he himself.)

I will address anything anyone else addresses towards me on this thread but other than that I'm done with it. I told Kristie that I'd leave it alone and that is my intention. I will, however, still defend my ideas because I believe they are valuable.

Peace

Loomis

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »

HOGWASH!!!

What... A... Load... Of...

This is the internet. This is a discussion forum. It's void of honor. Cooper's comments are just as valid as Jack's postings, Mine, or anyone's.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the keyboard commando mentality, and this isn't a message board with much anonymity.

Are we truly so far gone that we don't have the decency to keep vendettas and personal grudges out of the message board?  Loomis, you yourself have said to me that we're very harsh to each other in comparison to other clubs.  We don't need the real-life arguments and dysfunction on here.  You can call me a sandbagger, or you can call Jack a crazy, drunk ginger, and it won't bother me at all (it might bother Jack?).  However, I DO like to think that if someone had a real issue with me, we could settle it as adults and not smear each in a serious manner all over the board.  You may enjoy reading that kind of stuff, but I'm not a big fan.  This isn't 4Chan.

Point being, most of us know each other.  Let's have some respect for each other.

Obligatory, "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

coops

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Yes. We can.

I guess I'm confused about how my posts were disrespectful or demeaning in any way. They were requests for information and then, when the information was not forthcoming, simple observations.

The bottom line is that the forum is for the club and can and should be a tool to make the club better. Discussion and ideas converge here and can become fruitful action. All I was trying to do throughout this thread (and some others) is to use this platform to open minds and create change.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
I wish all this energy on the discussion board could go into more positive things like workdays or just doing some  work while playing a round like picking up some trash or bringing out a trimmer and making the course look nicer.  We got our busy time of year upon us and work needs to be done and instead of banging out debates on the forum, how about working at your course?

I wish i could do more and help with KCWO/local EJC courses/Liberty, but my wife is  having a baby soon and disc golf is really low on my list.   I hope that the newer players continue to come out and give back to the courses.   The hard core givers can only give so much and at some point we have to push to get new folks involved.  We all want the same thing and not everyone has to be "friends", but we should work on being "friendly". 

As far as giving back, I would like to thank Ted Keith for killing himself out at Liberty and doing so much out there.  How can you make disc better in KC?  All over KC folks step up and make things happen.  No matter how big or small or time commitment is, what can you do instead of wasting time on this forum?  Or wasting the time of your employer ;D?

coops

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 01:15:18 PM »
John, this is creating a false dichotomy. There is no either you post on the forum or you work on the courses. They aren't mutually exclusive. My point is and will continue to be that discussion on the forum is ONE way to make the courses better. Another way is to pick up while you play. And yet another is to organize or volunteer at work days.

So which one of these should you do? Trick question. All of the above are possible and should be encouraged.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the keyboard commando mentality, and this isn't a message board with much anonymity.

Are we truly so far gone that we don't have the decency to keep vendettas and personal grudges out of the message board?  Loomis, you yourself have said to me that we're very harsh to each other in comparison to other clubs.  We don't need the real-life arguments and dysfunction on here.  You can call me a sandbagger, or you can call Jack a crazy, drunk ginger, and it won't bother me at all (it might bother Jack?).  However, I DO like to think that if someone had a real issue with me, we could settle it as adults and not smear each in a serious manner all over the board.  You may enjoy reading that kind of stuff, but I'm not a big fan.  This isn't 4Chan.

Point being, most of us know each other.  Let's have some respect for each other.

Obligatory, "CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

Dude, everyone else likes the drama, you're outvoted, STFU already. ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
blah blah, red wings lost, blah blah.