Author Topic: Des Moines Challenge  (Read 2195 times)

coops

Re: Des Moines Challenge
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Tracy, Cooper is probably going. Now if we can figure out a way to get Hemme to go...

That would be cool. And we'd all be playing in different divisions than we did for the first sexy mando tour.

It would be awesome. We would need Josh and his cooler full of Roast Beef and Mayo sandwiches though.

And Loomis is overstating my likelihood. I'm probably only 20% right now. Emily is finishing her Ph.D. soon and may be defending around that time. I will know more closer to that but the timelines are very fluid right now and I don't want to have anyone counting on me to go and split costs if I can't end up making it.

Loomis

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »
Is Josh still alive?

coops

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:15:03 AM »
Is Josh still alive?

He did eat a lot of those sandwiches. Who knew what was growing in those!

Loomis

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
He was a disc golf legend

Loomis

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
when's cap city?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 09:06:54 AM »
Coming along very nicely up there in Des Moines.....

from
http://www.iowadg.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8849&start=75

Alright people,

Its time to bring everyone up to speed on some great things going on with this year's challenge. Sponsorship is going well:

1. Welcome back G&L Clothing as our title sponsor once again!
2. Felix & Oscars is back with generous support and hosting the players party with great food and good times.
3. Pro-Flight Discs has increased its contribution in both cash and prizes in addition to hosting Dubs By The Lake and the priceless efforts Shane contributes to the club and the event.
4. Area Wal-Mart stores have combined once again for a generous cash contribution.
5. Commonwealth Electric has also provided a cash sponsorship again.
6. Welcome back to the Challenge our Trophy sponsor First Class Credit Union.
7. Welcome A to Z Bail Bonds as our Final Nine Skins Match sponsor. This year's skins will have a $1000 payout!!
8. At this point we are up to roughly $600 in hole sponsorships.
9. There are many other sponsors contributing to the player packs and refreshments.

TOTAL: $6,000 + ADDED CASH to the event not including $1,000 for Skins. Add it all together and we are looking at an event with $10,000 in additional cash and prizes.

I hope that alleviates any hesitation you have to register and come out again this year.

Other incentives:
1. Big shout out to Dave and all of the volunteers who have been working hard to keep the courses clean and recover from the winter storm damages. Thank You all!
2. G&L is putting together some more killer prize packages to be given away again this year.
3. One lucky winner will take home a brand new Discraft Chainstar basket from the player's party.
4. If history holds true, we will get to see some of the world's top players enjoy our courses side by side with some of our favorite local pros.
5. With the extra money and some exciting stories that have taken place over the last couple years, the Skins Finale is shaping up to be our best yet.

Don't forget the deal rate at Econo Lodge on Merle Hay Road as posted on the Challenge web site. The price is good and the location is good as well.

This will be one to remember for sure. See you all there!

P.S. Any of you that have offered to sponsor a hole or still wish to do so, will need to get the payment and logo (if applicable) to myself or Jay Greenwood by May 10th. The person making the signs is limited on time and I want him to have plenty of notice. Sponsorships can be accepted after that but cannot be guaranteed sign completion.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »
Also FYI on this change in divisions.....

After a lot of thought, Joe and I decided to have the C pool only play 3 rounds this year. The past couple years it has taken too long for that pool to get in Pickard and Ewing (GV this year) and then have to come all the way out north to Walnut for awards and the finals. It's just too much driving to ask that many players to do. So for the C pool this year, we're going to Challenge you this year at Big Creek a little bit more! You had to play the short pads out there the last several years, not this year.

So, to summarize, the C pool will play 2 rounds Saturday - Big Creek long tee pads, Walnut Ridge short pads, and then Sunday one round from the longs at Grandview. This will allow plenty of time for those folks to get out to Walnut and enjoy some of the pros final round and the finals. If it really upsets you that you won't get to play Pickard this year - play advanced. It's that simple. Please note also, that we will put the Advanced Women in the B pool this year so there's that option for the girls as well.

The C-Pool is the following divisions - Intermediate, Advanced Grandmaster, Intermediate Women. If you signed up for the Intermediate division and want to change to advanced due to this, let me know. No big deal at all.

The website will be updated with this information this week!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

blkwizardsonny

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »
Which is sad, but longs from Grandview will be a trip down memory lane for certain.....so you get Pickard (Indianola) which since the revision for Worlds in 2004 is a fan favorite, shots 700' and shots 220' all in the same round, rolling hills, OB in tough tight places, (#18 is either over 800, or right at it, start up a hill, play along the hill, then you find the pin is located in a nestle of bushes that you can only get to one way....oh, and just to the right of the pin, is a big water OB hazard about 30' away.....)  Then Grandview, which is one of the oldest courses in Des Moines, heavily used Rec park, (think Rosedale) but the golf is pretty closely guarded by old mature trees, and some tight lines on fairways, with splashes of openness that looks to be inviting only to be just slightly off.....

Then on Sunday it appears as though it will be Walnut Creek with the redesigns there, the only thing is that we will probably still play #9 from the short tee....(GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr..........), open yes, tight yes, clean lines, yes, hills, elevation, yes, tunnel shot, yes.....it is a fun course...there is then Big Creek- Le' Freak.....tight tunnels, and punishing OB's abound on most every shot.  I personally love this course more than most in Des Moines, and will get shot for saying so, but it is golf as I like it.  miss a line, feel the pain.....

I can't wait.18 is 949 uphill whole way with water at green  ;D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

blkwizardsonny

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
http://www.desmoineschallenge.org/Hole_Sponsors.html
jack very cool logo love seeing kuzi and becky in there very thoughtful    :'(

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
http://www.desmoineschallenge.org/Hole_Sponsors.html
jack very cool logo love seeing kuzi and becky in there very thoughtful    :'(

Just got word that Becky isn't doing very well, please keep her in your prayers...!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
Love many in Iowa, but Becky and Kuzi have a special place in my heart.  Kuzi, not only a Leo, and Becky were actually wondering what to do with that trophy that Tank has now officially the Lion's Den Open Traveling Trophy, so the karma comes through them well!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »
Love many in Iowa, but Becky and Kuzi have a special place in my heart.  Kuzi, not only a Leo, and Becky were actually wondering what to do with that trophy that Tank has now officially the Lion's Den Open Traveling Trophy, so the karma comes through them well!

LOVE Becky and Kuzi!!!! I hope to spend some quality time with them while we're there..!

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »
ITS DSM week!!! One of my favorites events on the schedule, every year!!!!

Anybody making the trek up Friday and playing dubs? I don't need a partner, I'm playing dubs with Ulibarri, I just need a way there...

My way back home is secure, just need transpo there...

#letabruthaknow

Loomis

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 10:07:48 AM »
Bus is 20 bucks.