Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 416 times)

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Is this possible?
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
Is it possible to play too much?  I know that sounds ridiculous, but recently my game has been getting worse and worse. All I can figure is that since I have been playing about 6 days a week that I'm wearing down my body?  Sounds dumb but its all I can figure out. Suggestions, ideas, opinions?
Calm down, this is just for fun.

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
Could be physical, could be mental. If you aren't feeling sore, or mechanically incorrect, you may want to take what I call a "thinking break"

Just a few days rest. I do this because I get too 'automatic' when playing rounds. I just go out throw with no regard to the course or conditions. After I'm back from my thinking break things seem clearer, easier and I feel more in touch with my shot.

Maybe something you could try. It often works for me.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Loomis

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
You need to take time off. Let your muscle tissue break down and flush out so new muscle tissue can build up. You also need to rest the mind a bit. You are probably developing "cheats" in your physical habits to compensate for soreness, stiffness or other fatigue. This is hard on the body and can cause long term permanent damage. Rest also helps the body develop muscle memory when you start, then rest, then start again. This builds the mental and physical confidence in your step-by-step actions you will need to get better.

The longer you play without a break, the less capable you will be to achieve at a high level. You need rest.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:21:41 PM by Loomis »

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
Thanks Utz and Loomis, I figured the more I played the better I'd get. I kind thought it would be what you both suggested. Except for practicing putting ill probably take it easy for a week or two. Just play the P Hill league I'm running(enter shameless plug for new league). Thanks again guys.

coops

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:11 PM »
A week or two is overkill. Playing almost every day is the best way to get better. There are, for many unknown reasons, problems that develop with playing that often. Some of it is fatigue (which is important to learn to play with) and some of it is getting into a mental rut (which is more important to learn to play with). The other thing is that you can learn many new skills so quickly that you have to, as they saying goes, take one step back to take two steps forward. Unless you push through you'll get into a continual rut of learning and forgetting and not improving.

So, take a day here and there, but if you want to get better leave it to that. Extended rests can be saved for the off season or for stormy weather.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »
I like to take some time off when I have the opportunity to play as much as I want. The summer my wife was in Europe for eight weeks I played five days a week, and played the best golf of my life, so far. In that time period I also took one week off in the middle for the Fourth of July. It is possible for me to play way too much. There are faults I can get focused on way too much. It's not enough to be aware of them either. There have been many times I have been completely conscious of my mistakes, yet continue to make the same mistake again and again. By taking time off, you give your muscles time to model the work you have been doing, so when you return it is built-in to memory.

Once again, find what works for you. I am convinced this is all technique and routines that each player creates over time. Take my advice with a grain of salt. I have not had the resources to catapult to the level of Loomis or Cooper.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
and although im not a very good disc golfer, when i was playing ball golf several days a week i realized that I would make the same mistakes over and over. Take a pencil and a small pad of paper with you and analyze each shot or hole. You might have had great success on playing a hole a certain way, but what if the wind or other conditions are different? Is there another way or angle? This also makes you slow down and think about the whole hole. I assume that if your throwing 4-6 times a week that 50% are solo rounds and I know that my solo rounds are my best and worst. Best because i don't see someone else throw a way that might change my mind, and worse because of not taking my time and paying attention to the landscape. Plus im pretty sure that if you start taking notes, you will be able to carry them and read them during your tournament rounds (not 100% but its allowed in ball golf so its my assumption).

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:48:19 PM »
Thanks guys for the imput. I've said in the past ill take it easy for a week and as soon as I have a free 2-3 hrs I can't resist. I think part of it is as my technique and skill gradually get better my discs react differently, and that effects my game. Either way a bad day of throwing plastic is better than a great day of work. I also plan on video taping my throws to see exactly what my body is doing and then compare that to how the disc travels.