KCFDC Courses > Cliff Drive

Cliff Drive loves you, why don't you love cliff drive

<< < (2/3) > >>

jack:
No, I wont be, and I get that Tom, and I also realize that at this point we have been working on the course for over 13 years to make it happen.  I was walking through the course last night thinking about all the downed trees in the park, the trees that have been removed, the trees I could see dying, and I want to change it so that we are always enjoying some of the wonderful nestled woods.

I don't live by any illusion, because when we started Cliff Drive we had: Swope, Rosie Top/Bottom, WaterWorks, and Olathe to play.  WyCo came on about the time that we started at Cliff, but it needed much less work than Cliff did.  Now with close to 40 places to play within 25 miles of Cliff, how do you attract that dedicated soul to help with the work needed to muster change, and make it better?  They feel that entitlement in their "local" course.  We are growing more than we should no courses, and not enough on people realizing that work is needed.  Many still think that P&R do all the work.

It will take years of our efforts and partnerships with others to make this what I think will be one of the best 2 course disc golf complexes available, but once it is there, people will remember the work they did, or the work they observed in order to play the courses.

Mike Hyzer:

--- Quote from: jack on April 16, 2013, 10:07:08 AM ---No, I wont be, and I get that Tom, and I also realize that at this point we have been working on the course for over 13 years to make it happen.  I was walking through the course last night thinking about all the downed trees in the park, the trees that have been removed, the trees I could see dying, and I want to change it so that we are always enjoying some of the wonderful nestled woods.

I don't live by any illusion, because when we started Cliff Drive we had: Swope, Rosie Top/Bottom, WaterWorks, and Olathe to play.  WyCo came on about the time that we started at Cliff, but it needed much less work than Cliff did.  Now with close to 40 places to play within 25 miles of Cliff, how do you attract that dedicated soul to help with the work needed to muster change, and make it better?  They feel that entitlement in their "local" course.  We are growing more than we should no courses, and not enough on people realizing that work is needed.  Many still think that P&R do all the work.

It will take years of our efforts and partnerships with others to make this what I think will be one of the best 2 course disc golf complexes available, but once it is there, people will remember the work they did, or the work they observed in order to play the courses.

--- End quote ---

I know there were a great deal of work days before I came along in '06/'07, but the two that stick out for me are the one where we were preparing for concrete pads, and the one a couple years ago when we hit the LDO party area real hard. They were large enough to warrant good folks coming out and cooking hotdogs on the grill for everyone, or Jack walking into Gates BBQ and answering "21 BEEF ON BUNS!" before the door had even closed and before the girl behind the counter could finish with her "Hi, may I help you!"
When you've seen what can happen when people from all over town come together for a common goal, it's hard not to get frustrated when subsequent efforts aren't as successful.

Now then, this weekend of the 18th, I seem to remember the wife and I having something planned for that day. I shall find out from her what the deal is, and if there's nothing going on then I will absolutely be there with my little green truck and we shall kick all kinds of trash.

jamidanger:
keizer this link is for you

http://detroit.curbed.com/tags/disc-golf

Mike Hyzer:

--- Quote from: jamidanger on May 02, 2013, 11:50:25 PM ---keizer this link is for you

http://detroit.curbed.com/tags/disc-golf

--- End quote ---

It was only a matter of time! I myself have had the "Wouldn't it be cool..." thought about a DG course throughout the ghetto as I've driven through there in the past. Next time I go, I'll try to get a picture of Jane Laskey park, which has 3' tall grass and some bent-over Innova baskets. It's quite post-apocalyptic looking.

jamidanger:
someone did a course in the abandoned compton cali with a 3rd floor tee in the 90's and 'walking dead' producers will utilize an overgrown course in birmingham, bama next season - not post apocolypse but pretty gutsy. the bridgeton bomber course in stl is built on a razed neighborhood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version