Author Topic: Cliff Drive loves you, why don't you love cliff drive  (Read 688 times)

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Cliff Drive loves you, why don't you love cliff drive
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:06:49 AM »
Just an observation that I found a little sad, all thus is just from our forum.
Muddy Monday was a post for less than 24hrs, 73 views
League results 4/1 212 views
League 3/25 310 views
League 3/18 381 views
/----------------------------\
Cliff Drive Work day.         46 views

Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Drive loves you, why don't you love cliff drive
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
Just an observation that I found a little sad, all thus is just from our forum.

Cliff Drive Work day.         46 views

I know! And I'm not even the one who posted that thread! ;) ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »
Paradise Diamond tournament May 18 - why work when you can play? beaches-bikinis-birdies!
espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
Paradise Diamond tournament May 18 - why work when you can play? beaches-bikinis-birdies!

They work day commission wasn't privy to the date that DD set on the event....nor did they care.  The fact is this simple, there are events every weekend around town no matter what you look for, or a "must go to" event within a few short hours of the area.  THis workday is in conjunction with the neighborhood associations  to help us continue to work on the park and get it to a better point that we will be able to enjoy the park for years to come with even more improved park amenities.  I know that we all love our parks to be slightly secluded, but we also like to be able to get water, go to the bathroom, not feel as though there is trash everywhere. 

That takes work and effort.  It takes volunteers to get us into the areas that we want to play in, and that takes your vote of energy to make it happen.  This course has had countless thousands of hours already on volunteerism, and I can't begin to thank all the people over the years that have helped to get this course in it's current state.  This though is finally phase 2.  We start to look at reclaiming the areas that have been ignored and dumped on again.  We are tackling areas that have pull tab cans in the woods still, we are working to help the land from the people that have destroyed it.  You either take pride in your area, or you don't.  You either enjoy playing in a park that thousands of volunteer hours have put in or you don't.

Bottom line, you make a difference by deciding that one day of disc golf events isn't as important as showing up and giving support to a group that has worked over the years to make this place to play, and goes unnoticed by thousands of area residents.  By your attendance at this clean up day in coordination with area, you are saying, I don't just come here one day a year, I am here more often than you, but I want to show you that we are a strong committed group of people to make this happen here.

Even if it is only me at this workday, I will be wearing the badge of hours of people that helped, continue to help, or have passed away that did help on making this a great place to enjoy our sport.  I just hope that I am not alone on that Saturday.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
Work days also bring one most excellent course Karma.  :) You won't be alone Jack.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
No, I wont be, and I get that Tom, and I also realize that at this point we have been working on the course for over 13 years to make it happen.  I was walking through the course last night thinking about all the downed trees in the park, the trees that have been removed, the trees I could see dying, and I want to change it so that we are always enjoying some of the wonderful nestled woods.

I don't live by any illusion, because when we started Cliff Drive we had: Swope, Rosie Top/Bottom, WaterWorks, and Olathe to play.  WyCo came on about the time that we started at Cliff, but it needed much less work than Cliff did.  Now with close to 40 places to play within 25 miles of Cliff, how do you attract that dedicated soul to help with the work needed to muster change, and make it better?  They feel that entitlement in their "local" course.  We are growing more than we should no courses, and not enough on people realizing that work is needed.  Many still think that P&R do all the work.

It will take years of our efforts and partnerships with others to make this what I think will be one of the best 2 course disc golf complexes available, but once it is there, people will remember the work they did, or the work they observed in order to play the courses.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:09:43 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »
No, I wont be, and I get that Tom, and I also realize that at this point we have been working on the course for over 13 years to make it happen.  I was walking through the course last night thinking about all the downed trees in the park, the trees that have been removed, the trees I could see dying, and I want to change it so that we are always enjoying some of the wonderful nestled woods.

I don't live by any illusion, because when we started Cliff Drive we had: Swope, Rosie Top/Bottom, WaterWorks, and Olathe to play.  WyCo came on about the time that we started at Cliff, but it needed much less work than Cliff did.  Now with close to 40 places to play within 25 miles of Cliff, how do you attract that dedicated soul to help with the work needed to muster change, and make it better?  They feel that entitlement in their "local" course.  We are growing more than we should no courses, and not enough on people realizing that work is needed.  Many still think that P&R do all the work.

It will take years of our efforts and partnerships with others to make this what I think will be one of the best 2 course disc golf complexes available, but once it is there, people will remember the work they did, or the work they observed in order to play the courses.

I know there were a great deal of work days before I came along in '06/'07, but the two that stick out for me are the one where we were preparing for concrete pads, and the one a couple years ago when we hit the LDO party area real hard. They were large enough to warrant good folks coming out and cooking hotdogs on the grill for everyone, or Jack walking into Gates BBQ and answering "21 BEEF ON BUNS!" before the door had even closed and before the girl behind the counter could finish with her "Hi, may I help you!"
When you've seen what can happen when people from all over town come together for a common goal, it's hard not to get frustrated when subsequent efforts aren't as successful.

Now then, this weekend of the 18th, I seem to remember the wife and I having something planned for that day. I shall find out from her what the deal is, and if there's nothing going on then I will absolutely be there with my little green truck and we shall kick all kinds of trash.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »
keizer this link is for you

http://detroit.curbed.com/tags/disc-golf
espouse elucidation

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:33:03 AM »
keizer this link is for you

http://detroit.curbed.com/tags/disc-golf

It was only a matter of time! I myself have had the "Wouldn't it be cool..." thought about a DG course throughout the ghetto as I've driven through there in the past. Next time I go, I'll try to get a picture of Jane Laskey park, which has 3' tall grass and some bent-over Innova baskets. It's quite post-apocalyptic looking.

KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:03 AM »
someone did a course in the abandoned compton cali with a 3rd floor tee in the 90's and 'walking dead' producers will utilize an overgrown course in birmingham, bama next season - not post apocolypse but pretty gutsy. the bridgeton bomber course in stl is built on a razed neighborhood.
espouse elucidation

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
Still looking forward to this workday.  I will really need more working hands than anything else.  I have some new tools that will help with the modification of the areas that I am looking to develop.  But as we are getting closer to the Wide Open, please be sure to look for more information about the courses being used for that event.

Otherwise, bring some course Karma your way and come help with some cleanups!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"