Author Topic: Water Works League - 04/18/2013  (Read 908 times)

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Water Works League - 04/18/2013
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »
Looks like its going to be a sloppy one tomorrow with all the rain we've seen. If the storm is howling, and we see thunder and hear lightning, we'll have to call it off. Otherwise, we wont be pulling any Cliff-Drivery here; I'll be at Water Works at 5:30. It will be a game time decision. If you have any doubt about coming out PM me, or call me. both choices will reach me on my cell.

I-35 N. bound before the downtown loop currently sucks. Keep that in mind as you travel into the Northland from any South/West location

Here are the stats through two weeks:
2013 Water Works Master Stats

Updated financials means the WW ace fund is at $690! For anyone who didnt get KC Kash on 4/4 or 4/11, I will have it for you tomorrow, or the next time I see you :)

Cheers~

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:01:51 AM by Utz »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Water Works League - 04/18/2013
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »
I agree....but then I don't mind get lambasted about it personally, and being called out for trying to do the "right" thing.

It is a cold a ugly day out there today, tomorrow will be sunny and Saturday will be sunnier.....go spend time with those you like indoors today...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
Erosion still happens even if 6-16 people play league tonight. If we never played when its wet, when would we play? It's game on. I've never heard of league getting called, just because its "too wet"

In all seriousness, how would a few of us out there playing contribute to the erosion, any more than on a normal day??
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
Utz, picture this...hole 6. Your behind a tree. You need to throw a forehand but your foot slips on release. INSTANT erosion
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Utz

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
meh.. I guess. Well what about the golfers who throw rollers on dry days. they're leaving an evil little trail of erosion with every foot of roller distance. Plus I think the erosion around the tee pad and pin is the real issue here.

My point is, if the erosion is in such a danger situation that we cant have a league night because of saturated wetness, we need to find an actual long term solution. Fortifying pins and greens, moving holes, redesigning holes.. I don't know though, I'm not the pro here like a Jackie Blowe or Tracy Stalker  ::)

Plus if Water Works washed away tomorrow, how would you feel knowing you never got to say goodbye to her one last time tonight?? eh?
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
I definitely like to see the love by Tracy and Lack for our beloved course, but I may have to go and see if I can get that 345 packer...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

coops

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
My point is, if the erosion is in such a danger situation that we cant have a league night because of saturated wetness, we need to find an actual long term solution. Fortifying pins and greens, moving holes, redesigning holes.. I don't know though, I'm not the pro here like a Jackie Blowe or Tracy Stalker  ::)

We need to get all Charlotte on that course. Let's put a basket 30 feet in the air surrounded by a croc cage. Let's elevate 1 long pin! Imagine putting on that sucker!

But in all seriousness, erosion is a huge issue in Charlotte and they have created some wonderful retaining walls that make the greens interesting as well as solving that problem.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
You guys missed a great round tonight. #1 tag was up for grabs and we all made mud angels on hole #6 after.

fenton

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »
You guys missed a great round tonight. #1 tag was up for grabs and we all made mud angels on hole #6 after.

The mud sledding was a bit over the top...

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »

The mud sledding was a bit over the top...

I kid! The ground was fine since it didn't rain all day. My shoes were cleaner after the round than they were starting it.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »

I kid! The ground was fine since it didn't rain all day. My shoes were cleaner after the round than they were starting it.

agree, No mud on my shoes at all.... now, my hoodie was covered in mud from the mud sliding on hole 1...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Loomis

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
All this huffin' and puffin' and no results.

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
No results because they didn't play. To busy making mud angels and such.

y3rsh

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
    • joshmcvey.com
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
I played and had a great time with Josh(a gracious host) and John(visitor from Peoria).  Hope I can make it back a few times this year.  Family stuff keeps me busy.  I made a partial mud angel myself but saved my 3.  Given my girth the angel may look more like the stay pufft marshmallow man.  ;D
What wind?

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
meh.. I guess. Well what about the golfers who throw rollers on dry days. they're leaving an evil little trail of erosion with every foot of roller distance. Plus I think the erosion around the tee pad and pin is the real issue here.

Plus if Water Works washed away tomorrow, how would you feel knowing you never got to say goodbye to her one last time tonight?? eh?

Ya, i do have a plan.  I have roped off many fairways at Young last year and have spread a bunch of seed.  i personally raked in all the seed i put out last Fall.  Then i called in favors from my wife's family and got a ton of hay bales to throw over the seed.  Hay is very expensive and so is seed, especially right now after a super dry couple years.

did it suck putting in all that work, uhhh.. yes.  it sucks to hand rake  seed in for an entire park.  Now this Spring i have continued to throw out more seed when the ground is just right mix of moisture where foot traffic stomps the seed in.  i will start roping off fairways  next week after the Elks event.   So, yes i do have a plan and have tried very hard to make that course look fantastic.  as Jack says, be part of the problem or be part of the solution.  Maybe you can do both.  there should be some balance.  Maybe when it is raining go play another course in town that has better established turf.  Once erosion starts, it is a losing battle and then more drastic measures have to occur.  And often the parks departments do not come out with their skid and regrade the runoff trench, or drop gravel, or hay and seed.  the parks departments can only fund so much to a non revenue generating  activity.  Pay to play?  these issues would be getting resolved. 

I do not understand why players think that this is not an issue.  Look at Rosie, it looks like dog sh1t.  I do not even want to play there becuase i get so bothered by how run down it looks in spots and i love rosie.   That course continues to look worse and worse each year.  i agree, there needs to be a plan put into action.  I just do what i can on my local course.  What can you do?  With all these folks that need to get on here all the time and post , you obviously care about the sport.  Why not try give the course some TLC.  do whatever you can to show it some TLC.  Our courses need it, and with so many users, we need to have some sort of responsible action.  i applaud Jack when he cancelled.   I was actually smiling at my computer.  Waaaaa, waaa, waaa, the replies of folks complaining sounds like kindergartners at my school.  get over your self, your wants , your plans, your league night and go play some where else.