Author Topic: Liberty work days at Stocksdale Park  (Read 712 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Liberty work days at Stocksdale Park
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:35:28 PM »
First official work day will be this Sunday, April 28th at 10am at Stocksdale Park.  Bring your big bad self and if no tools, then that is fine.  I have plenty of things to use. 

I will also be heading up this Thursday, April 25th at 5:00 if the weather holds out.

contact me at jtheiss@bssd.net

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Liberty work days at Stocksdale Park
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
i will be out working tonight if anyone in the north land would like to join me.  i will be there by 5. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »
Can't help....but this is very helpful as I am getting some new tools to work on the new section John....
  After 7 years of removing and killing honeysuckles, I have come up with some cool ways to kill ones too big to remove with the Popper. The reason these methods work is because bush honeysuckles do not and cannot sprout from buried roots. I put that in bold letters to drive home the point. Honeysuckle does not shoot out root suckers. Its true, and that fact makes killing bush honeysuckle not as difficult as some may think. In my 5 years of observations, I have yet to see a root sprout coming from more than an inch of soil. Itís the vine type honeysuckle that can do that. The shrubs cannot. On the other hand- bush honeysuckles can and will sprout from any part of the stump or roots that are left exposed to air.

Heres a tip you probably dont know: You can kill a honeysuckle stump simply by putting a pile of dirt on top of it. 

So I am going to be starting to carry a bag of potting soil with me to test this out, but I have been reading and attempting to do what this guy says over the last few years.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
that is great to know.  i have some areas that i lined out for folks to cut the honeysuckle and pull it.  i was just going to have the person pour Tordon on the tip.  i was also thinking about an idea similar to yours this past week.  the extensive mtn bike and walking trails in this park have encountered these issues and they have to work the stump out in order to have nice dirt path.  i was thinking of getting my mavic super sharp and using that to get the stump to grade level.  Then put on tordon. And now i will try to add dirt over the stump. 

thanks for the tip. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
The stumps are the issue, it is the sprouts off the stump, but seeing/reading this made sense to those of us that have been battling the plant removal.  It makes a lot of sense.  Also states that it takes about 2-3 years for any stump over 8 yrs old to disintegrate, which I find about right as well.  THe older it is, the longer it takes.

I bought a couple of the tools from the guy I have been on the fence, but now that I am really going to be wanting to carve out new areas I really felt the need to get this item and try it out.  If it works, then i will suggest it on you, but I need to try it first.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
Work day this Sunday, 10 am at Stocksdale Park.   Plenty of work that anyone with or without tools can do. 

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »
Big thanks to Ian Stone and Todd Hall.  Much work was done today and will give the parks dept a better idea where to run the brush hog.  Can't thank these guys enough.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
No problem John. It was cool to see some of the holes and provide some feedback. Let me know when the next weekend work day is and I'll try to make it out again.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
Can't help....but this is very helpful as I am getting some new tools to work on the new section John....
  After 7 years of removing and killing honeysuckles, I have come up with some cool ways to kill ones too big to remove with the Popper. The reason these methods work is because bush honeysuckles do not and cannot sprout from buried roots. I put that in bold letters to drive home the point. Honeysuckle does not shoot out root suckers. Its true, and that fact makes killing bush honeysuckle not as difficult as some may think. In my 5 years of observations, I have yet to see a root sprout coming from more than an inch of soil. Itís the vine type honeysuckle that can do that. The shrubs cannot. On the other hand- bush honeysuckles can and will sprout from any part of the stump or roots that are left exposed to air.

Heres a tip you probably dont know: You can kill a honeysuckle stump simply by putting a pile of dirt on top of it. 

So I am going to be starting to carry a bag of potting soil with me to test this out, but I have been reading and attempting to do what this guy says over the last few years.....
A pile of $hit works too. Carry that around.
Steven Disc Glover

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
I will be out at Liberty tomorrow at 9am. Plenty of things can be done.  No tools are necessary.   I have two back pack sprayers and we can spray areas for ivy, cut and drag and clean up holes etc. 

call me if you are out make it out.

816 -739-nine three six one