Author Topic: stolen basket  (Read 1988 times)

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
Re: stolen basket
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 10:21:16 AM »
Well that's good to hear!

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
The things that I find interesting about this matter is the newness of the course and the suspected means by which it was removed from its location.  The location itself is fairly obvious and with all of the precipitation was there any indication of a disturbed area, footprints, digging, etc.?  Then the recent blacklisting of the website with Google also sparks some curiosity.

Something about the speculation around that lock being picked just does not add up to me. 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
The things that I find interesting about this matter is the newness of the course and the suspected means by which it was removed from its location.  The location itself is fairly obvious and with all of the precipitation was there any indication of a disturbed area, footprints, digging, etc.?  Then the recent blacklisting of the website with Google also sparks some curiosity.

Something about the speculation around that lock being picked just does not add up to me.

Thinking the Google blacklisting connection might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm with ya on the lock picking thing. I think someone either F'ed up and didn't close the lock properly, or it's an inside job like 9/11 only less serious.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »

Thinking the Google blacklisting connection might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm with ya on the lock picking thing. I think someone either F'ed up and didn't close the lock properly, or it's an inside job like 9/11 only less serious.

I would like to know if that course pissed anyone off?  OR if anyone has gotten pissed off at that course OR those who put it together.  NEXT, I would like to know about the city.  Is someone burned up because they are going to have to mow that?  Fired up because it went through and became a reality?  These are not accusations, just questions.  I doubt from what I am hearing that some random tweeker cruising by saw an op to make a few bucks to score some dope.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Every basket I've ever seen stolen had a damaged lock laying nearby. #16 at Clover Dell in Sedalia had a padlock that had been cut with bolt cutters and the lock had been left laying nearby. #11 at WyCo, same story, padlock in two pieces left by the empty pin. #4 at WyCo (twice) once there was a lock that had been hit with a hammer to pop it open and the next time a lock that had been cut with a hacksaw. This one shows no evidence of being cut so either someone had a key or possibly they hit it just right with a hammer depending on what type of lock it is. I'm no locksmith but I don't think it's very easy to pick a high quality padlock.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
I set the practice basket myself. I double checked it that day, and then the next day when I arrived and putted on it, I also checked the lock. It was definitely locked.

I don't know from personal experience, but a friend of ours said he had learned how to pick locks and with the correct tool it isn't difficult.

I also haven't tried it to see if it will unlock since the basket went missing, but if it was popped open with a hammer strike, it may not function properly.

It is possible someone with a key unlocked it and took it. That particular lock is different from the other 18 out there, and only the City and I have a key to it.

I don't think it was an "inside job". I don't think anyone is pissed about the course going in, nor pissed at us for installing it. We have had three baskets stolen in Olathe since 1989. I think someone just wanted one at their house or farm and figure the City's insurance will cover it and aren't afraid of being caught.

It just sucks for us that play out there, because now we don't have a place to practice putting and warm up near where we park.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »
Well if anger was anyone's guess, i'd check the lake to see if someone tossed it in... I assume it was stolen with a pickup and bolt cutters, they just happened to either toss or keep the lock. There is a master set of keys for all masterlock padlocks, but I would think that would have taken too much time to find the right key. Oh well, hope they get caught and arrested whomever they are.

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
I would go to play it again and get a list of all people who have sold anything disc golf. I'm sure the same jerkoffs who sold all the discs out of the pond would jack a basket and sell it.
PDGA# 51376

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:03 AM »
I have in the past received calls from people about baskets in the yard, in fact one of the Olathe baskets was recovered that way.  I went to the house with the police in hand, no one answered, took the basket, and called it a day.  I am uncertain what transpired afterwards, the police were going to follow up with the people at the house.

So if you do see a basket in a yard that "doesn't seem right" (ignore my yard with 4 baskets in it) or is all of sudden "new" call someone on the board to have them investigate it.  People do buy baskets as well out there that aren't stolen, but our baskets for the most part are pretty easy to identify in town, so asking us to investigate is better than trying to take matters into your own hands.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
I know (per Tom) that these particular baskets are the only set in town like them, so it will be easier to identify it if found, however this has me thinking.  Is there a way for each course to engrave some sort of serial number (or marking) in an inconspicuous place on the basket (could be anywhere like a certain piece of metal on the underside of the basket, or a place on the pole etc.) so that there is a definite way of identifying baskets that may have been stolen?  Engravers are not that expensive and if the city and course director are the only one's who know where the engraving is, this may be a very easy way to check any suspicious baskets in the city.  I know this will not stop people from stealing baskets but if they do not know that these baskets have been specifically 'marked' this makes it easier to reclaim what is ours if they are found.  On a side note, I hope there is a stiffer punishment for stealing city property and that the douche bag who stole it is made an example out of.  Not prison or anything like that, but maybe every single member of the club gets to line up and give him a shot to the nuts with their steel-toed Kodiak work boots!!   

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »
Luckily, we have no baskets stolen at Swope.
Sometimes the locals will use them as  BBQ grills.
After 32 years we get a little respect.
So regarding any disc thrown in a lake.
Don't throw it in there.  It is the Indian, not the arrow. It is fair game after that.
Name calling is not warranted for the poor schmuck that would go in there to get it.

2 cents slim
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
My point is that the guys who were pulling them out did not play disc golf but did know that discs were worth money. One guy even told me thay you can get more money if they said "ace" or had a lot of signatures on it. Maybe I'm reaching but I would think the same logic could lead someone to take a basket. Either way if you find a disc and don't call the number then I cosider you a jerkoff.
PDGA# 51376

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »
wow
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »
Please don't encourage him.

BTW
El viento es mi amigo.

Masculine and feminine articles must agree in Spanish. "Accuracy matters," said the native who lost his arrow.

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
ok two Items then im done.

1: how about contacting the local scrap yards and faxing over or emailing a picture, give them a $100 reward for their purchase of it and notification to police.

2: how about a tracking device inside/incorperated into the basket. Yes i imagine that it would be expensive for ALL the baskets, but lets be honest... it is usually a certain basket that is easy to steal like the Practice Basket on Lakeside. So 1 device on 1 basket on each course that is prone to theft. If the battery lasts 2 years on a new basket, I think by the time that expired, the basket has reached a good age of maturity anyway. If it is stolen just reup the contract and put a new tracker on it until we know the location isnt a high theft area. Hard to have nice things but good to protect them. (or do what we did at my golf course and have the police install a motion sensor camera next to the road so that if someone walks up it starts recording, pretty handy at catching vandals as well as theives).