Author Topic: High School kids  (Read 838 times)

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
High School kids
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
I'm a teacher with a small class. I have two classes and the students spend 2 1/2 hours a day for 2 years with me, FUN, FUN ,FUN. ;D 
At the end of every year, my second year students have a BBQ. This is my last 2 year program, I'm switching programs. Me and the kids throw disc around all the time and we have a nice grassy area we throw in.

Here's the deal:
I would like to have a mini tournament for all my students this year to finish off my last year in this program. I'm going to buy each kid a disc and was thinking a mid-range , maybe a Mako. I'll grill some dogs some time in there.

Would Swope be a good course?  Putter vs. Mid-range?  No more then 20 of us, so would a small tourney be OK with the regular players? Should I have a few experienced players to help?

If any one has any idea's , I'm open.
I think the kids will have fun and who knows what will come of this.
Thanks
Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: High School kids
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »
Swope. Yes. When? I am sure the gulley course could get some experienced and into education golfers to help out. You'd probably only need 3 or 4 people to help with such a small group. How many rounds? Picnic/BBQ midday with some disc related activities?
Depending on when it is, I can help.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:19 AM »
Sounds like fun...like Ekolk stated...depending on when, I would love to help out with this type of thing.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
Makos are a great easy disc.  I carry one all the time.
May possibly get some 2011 Ace Race Discraft Zeppelins new and/or cheap. 
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.  Please put a couple of potential dates on the forum to ensure the course isn't closed for a tournament.

Mick

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »
We did it Friday after school. 11 out of 17 showed up to play. Each student received a mid-range,either a Kite, Stingray or Leopard. With the tall grass , no one lost a disc. The kids had a blast and some were really good. I want to thank Dick from DGW for helping us out. They only played 14 holes with the top score of 52. Prizes: 1rst was a driver and a putter, 2nd just a putter and 3rd got a mini, I even gave a last place T-shirt from World of Wheels. Some of the kids tired out, that's why I cut it short. Hotdogs, chips , sodas and snack cakes afterwards.

After reading the other post about school kids, I'm thinking of starting a team next year. Don't know who we play but it would be fun. Start them young, some need the exercise , I know I do.  :)

Thanks all for the input
Mick
Who ever said it was easy ,never met me.

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »
sorry i miss it mick