Author Topic: New disc golf park grand opening June 22  (Read 1115 times)

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
New disc golf park grand opening June 22
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
Rose Park is having a grand opening June 22. The park is located in McLouth, Ks. McLouth is located on Hi. 16. Turn North on Union. Then West on Gertrude. Just after getting on a gravel road the parking for the course is the first left. The tee signs are at the rear of the tee area and currently has a 9 hole set up but already looking to expand to make a full 18. Don't forget the tick spray for out here. The parks department is giving full support and offering a free cook out with volunteers demonstrating the sport. I believe DD is also going to be a part of this. One of the kids I met last night just happens to be related to the Eklunds. He's a darn good player already and I think ready for tournament play. I would consider the course to be very challenging for a beginner. Your participation to help grow the sport will be greatly appreciated.
 They formed a disc golf club for the school called Disc Dogs or Dawgs not sure of their spelling. They are looking to be the first school in Kansas to form a disc golf team and ask other schools to form teams to compete with. They are getting solid response from the community and schools they are contacting. The gentleman responsible for creating all this interest is Greg Justice.
More details to come.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:44:47 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New disc golf park grand opening June 22
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:14 PM »
I have been working with Greg or the last year on this project for McLouth and they have come a long way.  They are very excited and energetic group and It has been a blast to help them with establishing the team.  The course is a short challenging course and a lot of fun with tight tunnel shots and a few open shots.

I will be there on June 22nd and will be posting more information on it as soon as I get it.  The course went in last summer but they are calling this the Grand Opening of the course and want to see a good showing so they can show the community the value of disc golf in their area. 

Plans for the additional 9 are in the works, but there is not a timeline for it as of yet.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:02:43 AM »
It's my understanding this was your design.
Steven Disc Glover

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »
Any updates on this?
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »
I'm hoping Scott Reek will chime in here. I am asking Tom Henderson and John Theiss to this. I've been in contact with Greg Justice and it sounds like its a go.
Rose Park is having a grand opening June 22. The park is located in McLouth, Ks. McLouth is located on Hi. 16. Turn North on Union. Then West on Gertrude. Just after getting on a gravel road the parking for the course is the first left. The tee signs are at the rear of the tee area and currently has a 9 hole set up but already looking to expand to make a full 18. Don't forget the tick spray for out here. The parks department is giving full support and offering a free cook out with volunteers demonstrating the sport. I believe DD is also going to be a part of this. One of the kids I met last night just happens to be related to the Eklunds. He's a darn good player already and I think ready for tournament play. I would consider the course to be very challenging for a beginner. Your participation to help grow the sport will be greatly appreciated.
 They formed a disc golf club for the school called Disc Dogs or Dawgs not sure of their spelling. They are looking to be the first school in Kansas to form a disc golf team and ask other schools to form teams to compete with. They are getting solid response from the community and schools they are contacting. The gentleman responsible for creating all this interest is Greg Justice. I would like seeing the club offer him a plaque showing our gratitude for helping grow the sport we love so dearly.
More details to come.
Here are original details. Please plan on attending. Bring the whole family. Don't forget the tick spray.
Steven Disc Glover

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:54:26 AM »
Thanks.
I was particularly interested in the last line, "More details to come".

Particular start time, end time, lunch time, etc.

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
This is the information I have received so far.

The Clinic will start at 10 and there will be a few more clinics throughout the day based on participation.  The ParksDept will be offering BBQ, Hot Dogs and Water.

I encourage anyone who can make it, even just to play the4 course to do so.  The Parks and Club are wanting to make a great impression with this event as they are working on getting funds for another 9 and further improvements.

Scott Reek

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
It's a shame this is going up against the Lake Perry event nearby.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
This an example of growing our sport. The beginning time is at 10am and looking to last a few hours. They will have seperate stations for driving, putting and up-shots throughout the course.  There will be an announcement for a juniors tournament in the works for next year.
Steven Disc Glover

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »
My intention is to make this event.  I love playing new courses.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
It's a shame this is going up against the Lake Perry event nearby.
This is a fubdraiser for the same Topeka club that the McLouth course is associated with. That course can be played anytime. This is a one time event to show interest in the sport and help mentor the youth. Make a donation to that club at this event.
Steven Disc Glover

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »
Here is the course information on DGCourseReview.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6263
Scott Reek

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
Reposting the most important part of the info.
Rose Park is having a grand opening June 22. The park is located in McLouth, Ks. McLouth is located on Hi. 16. Turn North on Union. Then West on Gertrude. Just after getting on a gravel road the parking for the course is the first left. The tee signs are at the rear of the tee area and currently has a 9 hole set up but already looking to expand to make a full 18. Don't forget the tick spray for out here. The parks department is giving full support and offering a free cook out with volunteers demonstrating the sport. Starting at 10am.
Steven Disc Glover

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 08:48:53 AM »
Reposting the most important part of the info.
Rose Park is having a grand opening June 22. The park is located in McLouth, Ks. McLouth is located on Hi. 16. Turn North on Union. Then West on Gertrude. Just after getting on a gravel road the parking for the course is the first left. The tee signs are at the rear of the tee area and currently has a 9 hole set up but already looking to expand to make a full 18. Don't forget the tick spray for out here. The parks department is giving full support and offering a free cook out with volunteers demonstrating the sport. Starting at 10am.
Looking for a good response out here. Please attend.
Steven Disc Glover

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
They had 15 kids and maybe 25 in all. I did not do an exact total head count but it was a success.
Steven Disc Glover