Author Topic: New Course Potential in Prairie Village  (Read 2115 times)

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Course Potential in Prairie Village
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Supposed to get out there and work on exact layout this week or next.  Whenever the weather will start to cooperate.  Hopefully get something in the ground by this summer.
Joe Hesting

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
I work 3 blocks from here at YRC Freight.  Just last Friday I set up my basket for putting practice over the lunch hour.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 07:42:33 AM »
I work 3 blocks from here at YRC Freight.  Just last Friday I set up my basket for putting practice over the lunch hour.

Rob, I think you are talking about Roe Park, which OP was thinking about putting in a course.  Unfortunately there is  not enough room there for a course with all the softball and soccer fields.  Too much of a liability.  So OP is looking into another area.

The course that is going in Prairie Village is at Harmon Park, at 79th & Mission Road, right by PV pool.
Joe Hesting

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »
Not to interject between you two (Rob & White) but i have been pondering where a solid Disc course could go in Overland Park and I think I have found a great location. Quivira Park. It says that there is 43.33 acres of land there, but let me put an asterisk on that. First, search it on Google maps (the one with the Google earth view). OK so as you can see there is about 90 parking stalls there + restrooms. Just north before 119th street there is Indian creek and it is surrounded by woods on all sides minus the Quivira side. Here's the thing, just south, if you scroll down you will see my place of work (Overland Park Golf Course). MOST of that woods is technically ours so it is not included within the estimated acreage, but with some city convincing it could be used in this circumstance. It has good elevation changes, not like Water Works, but more like Swope, and a few creeks that run through there. I know that our (ball golf) master plan has us cutting new holes through the south east side, but almost none of that woods along the bike hike trail going up to the wee links par 3 course is going to be used. It would take a good architect with great vision, but it would be a great place, in a mostly unused park (because most people just bike and hike from their homes not park and do so around that area). The upsides are that it would be very close to the KU Edwards campus, short distance from a few high schools and JCCC, and in an area that is lacking a true Disc course. I think I will e-mail the parks supervisor tomorrow and run the idea by him, but I wanted to get a little feed back from you all to see what you think?

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
I think that area looks possible from above on google maps.  I have not personally been out there, but from the map, it looks like there is plenty of room for a course, and it is a great location for OP residents.  I would be surprised if the Golf Course would let you put some holes on their land, but I don't work for them ;)  Maybe you could convince them.

Let me know what the city says when you email them.
Joe Hesting

jayhawker737

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »
Any updates on the Harmon Park course?
Supposed to get out there and work on exact layout this week or next.  Whenever the weather will start to cooperate.  Hopefully get something in the ground by this summer.

jayhawker737

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
Any updates on the Harmon Park course?

Any news on this?

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
Supposedly getting put up to bid on this month, and then it is first on the list of Projects to begin, starting in August.  The Parks designer for PV told me he sees no reason why it should not be in the ground by Labor Day.  But we will see...

It will have nice new Discatchers though  ;D...with either Blue bands and white lettering, or Forest Green bands with yellow lettering.  Haven't heard what the decision is yet.

Joe Hesting

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »
Update:

8/12/2014 - We are pleased that the 2014 Parks Projects will soon be underway.  The contractor will be out at Santa Fe Park to install the tee pads for Disc Golf, which is scheduled for completion by September 30, 2014.  The first work at McCrum Park will be the installation of the conduit to facilitate the move of the overheard utilities to their new underground location.  The tennis court rehabilitation at Harmon Park is currently underway and is scheduled for completion by November 21, 2014.

Source:  http://www.pvkansas.com/index.aspx?page=116&recordid=49

Map:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:49:42 AM by white mccoy »
Joe Hesting