This has been a pet-project of mine for a while and now I'm running out of time to get it done so I am going to leave my work to the general public and let you all see it come to life in my absence.
As I have mentioned before, there are hundreds of "areas" in KC that look like they would make beautiful disc golf holes. Maybe the land isn't big enough for a full course, but there is just enough land for one or possibly two great holes. If you put all of them together you could have quite a few 18 hole URBAN COURSES - nothing that could be permanent but if you have a temp basket, a car and some time, you could play one of the most challenging and entertaining courses ever. Perhaps you already play some of these when you want a break from work or you're not interested in hauling your butt up to Rosie.
In order to maintain some type of order certain guidelines were put in place to avoid certain types of trouble. Most notably hitting cars or losing discs into fenced in areas. It is also important to utilize as much MANDO and OB as possible if for no other reason than to just make it more challenging and interesting. It's a BRIGADOON course so who cares about the arguments.
I have a Kansas course and a Missouri Course. If you want to play them, let me know. It will require an easy to move temp basket. I have one if you don't. These are tough shots. There is a lot of water, lots of tunnels and a great potential for losing discs so if you are going to play this course/tournament you should be up for the challenge.
- Typical holes include a drive from 55th street down the hill in between the two Ward Parkway streets to a basket hidden behind the tree at the corner of Ward Parkway and Shawnee Mission Parkway. Park at the top of the hill to the East of Ward Parkway.
The next hole is going back up the hill.
- Another hole is a park nestled to the West of the Liberty Memorial just below Channel Four. The entire park is a valley and has over ten super elevated shots. The park is never used and is a lot of fun to play.
- At the corner of Rainbow and Shawnee Mission Parkway there is a small park which is unused. There are six challenging tunnel shots with elevation.
- From the sidewalk along JC Nichols Parkway behind the Nelson Art Gallery (and once from the Nelson's back porch) throw down to a basket next to Brush creek in the psuedo Amphitheater. For extra fun, put the basket under the bridge on the far side of the creek.
- The river front park next to Isle of Capri is empty. It's over 2000 feet from one end to the other. It's a great shot if you make the Sidewalk OB and put the basket next to the river. You can also tee off from the bridge.
- From the lookout of Jefferson and 8th street downtown, throw down to the corner of St. Louis and Union in the West Bottoms. OR you can play the length of the park to the cow statue though it's not as interesting.
- Roanoke Park off of Karnes Blvd offers up almost a full course and it's sad there isn't a course there now. However, the temp shots are stellar.
- I also have a full course in Loose Park if you want to know the lay out. That is an awesome course.
I think you get the idea. The course is flexible and has contained as many as sixty holes. Any number of which would make a great course for those seeking new challenges. If anyone is interested in getting together and playing a few of these holes let me know. Some day this could be an interesting tournament if enough people are willing to do it.