Author Topic: URBAN DISC GOLF CHALLENGE  (Read 1267 times)

Loomis

URBAN DISC GOLF CHALLENGE
« on: May 27, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
This has been a pet-project of mine for a while and now I'm running out of time to get it done so I am going to leave my work to the general public and let you all see it come to life in my absence.

As I have mentioned before, there are hundreds of "areas" in KC that look like they would make beautiful disc golf holes. Maybe the land isn't big enough for a full course, but there is just enough land for one or possibly two great holes. If you put all of them together you could have quite a few 18 hole URBAN COURSES - nothing that could be permanent but if you have a temp basket, a car and some time, you could play one of the most challenging and entertaining courses ever. Perhaps you already play some of these when you want a break from work or you're not interested in hauling your butt up to Rosie.

In order to maintain some type of order certain guidelines were put in place to avoid certain types of trouble. Most notably hitting cars or losing discs into fenced in areas. It is also important to utilize as much MANDO and OB as possible if for no other reason than to just make it more challenging and interesting. It's a BRIGADOON course so who cares about the arguments.

I have a Kansas course and a Missouri Course. If you want to play them, let me know. It will require an easy to move temp basket. I have one if you don't. These are tough shots. There is a lot of water, lots of tunnels and a great potential for losing discs so if you are going to play this course/tournament you should be up for the challenge.

- Typical holes include a drive from 55th street down the hill in between the two Ward Parkway streets to a basket hidden behind the tree at the corner of Ward Parkway and Shawnee Mission Parkway.  Park at the top of the hill to the East of Ward Parkway.

The next hole is going back up the hill.

- Another hole is a park nestled to the West of the Liberty Memorial just below Channel Four. The entire park is a valley and has over ten super elevated shots. The park is never used and is a lot of fun to play.

- At the corner of Rainbow and Shawnee Mission Parkway there is a small park which is unused. There are six challenging tunnel shots with elevation.

- From the sidewalk along JC Nichols Parkway behind the Nelson Art Gallery (and once from the Nelson's back porch) throw down to a basket next to Brush creek in the psuedo Amphitheater. For extra fun, put the basket under the bridge on the far side of the creek.

- The river front park next to Isle of Capri is empty. It's over 2000 feet from one end to the other. It's a great shot if you make the Sidewalk OB and put the basket next to the river. You can also tee off from the bridge.

- From the lookout of Jefferson and 8th street downtown, throw down to the corner of St. Louis and Union in the West Bottoms. OR you can play the length of the park to the cow statue though it's not as interesting.

- Roanoke Park off of Karnes Blvd offers up almost a full course and it's sad there isn't a course there now. However, the temp shots are stellar.

- I also have a full course in Loose Park if you want to know the lay out. That is an awesome course.

I think you get the idea. The course is flexible and has contained as many as sixty holes. Any number of which would make a great course for those seeking new challenges. If anyone is interested in getting together and playing a few of these holes let me know. Some day this could be an interesting tournament if enough people are willing to do it.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:40:20 PM by Loomis »

Loomis

Re: URBAN DISC GOLF CHALLENGE
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
 - Corner of Lamar and College. Top of the hill toward a pin across the lake.

- Corner of Metcalf and College. Top of the hill toward the lake through the gap to the left.

- 119th and Renner. Throw across the lake from East to West.

- Corporate Woods. Throw across parking lot using only the islands as safe and all concrete as OB. It's 1000 feet to the other side with only six islands you must play to in order to reach the other side. (easier to play this hole after 6 PM)

- 64th and Nall. Tee off from the sidewalk down the creek. To clear the creek is 450 feet.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
i know charlotte nc has an annual urban skins, looks like they use a crew for safety of the urbanites
espouse elucidation

Jake B

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
Sounds like a blast. I think we have the same curse... everything looks like a potential disc golf course.

Loomis

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:13:03 AM »
I tried to find locations where people would be at a minimum or that could be "talked" into watching. The biggest problem isn't hitting people or cars but keeping the basket from being jacked. So far so good.

There is also a West Bottoms course if people want to play on the asphalt. It's actually harder than I thought because you worry a lot about hitting large windows. You can play down there pretty easily without worrying about cars or foot traffic but you need to be mindful of trains.

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
I know Chris and I are up for that!  I've been wanting to try something like this ever since I got my basket  :P
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Loomis

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
The Team Challenge is this weekend (though as Mr. Perry has pointed out it starts as Dumb thirty so we have some time before to play a few holes) but the following weekend is open if a few people want to play these holes.

If anyone else has some URBAN DISC GOLF HOLES they've made up in their neighborhood post them here so we can check them out.

Aaron

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »
Loomis you might dig this, looks like the direction your thinking.

2013 mountain disc golf experience: urban pro skins
Calm down, this is just for fun.

Loomis

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:08:29 PM »
very close. I have a course like this too, but it requires a lot of understanding and disposable discs.

The course I have is actually holes.

I am going to post the course on here and let anyone just go play it.

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »
As I drive 38 a minutes to work I have looked for holes and easily have a 9 hole course between my house and work. First rule is safety, hole has to have a safe parking area and safe way to reach grassy area.

Hole 1 79th street and Ward parkway and ward parkway plaza create a triangle on the southern leg of the triangle shooting east to west along 79th street tall grass gardens ob basket sits between trees 340’
Hole 2 West parking lot across from ward parkway mall is a long stretch of grass with trees that dumps out into open field roughly 800ft working through trees park in parking lot
Hole 3 In grassy area behind Continental Consulting Firm 9000 block stateline Shoot from parking garage on east side and play up the hill behind building. Plays 460’ only 200’ to carry stateline. Parking in garage and firm’s parking  lot
Hole 4 Just north of rockhurst school hole plays from near road toward parking garage tunnel shot basket sits on concrete drainage area creating fingernail biting green, 380’ park at school or parking garage entrance area
Hole 5 Ward parkway median between 87th and 88th street nice wooded hole with both sides of ward parkway ob. 560’
Hole 6 On the way to my wifes work. Tomahawk parkway South pond. Play from north end of pond down the east side of pond. Plays across pond 560’ with 3 distinct landing zones (little peninsulas that stick out into pond) it’s a park so park near pond
Hole 7 I-435 and K-32 in area between 435 northbound off ramp to k-32 park on shoulder of k-32 plays down hill(south) to hard dogleg left back up 50’ hill(going east) down the other side of hill and basket sits on little cliff. Plays 660’
Hole 8 along k-32 westbound just outside Edwardsville 10000 block of Kaw drive north side of rode grassy area at bottom of hill fairway winds toward the next property plays 460’ fairway gets extremely tight at 320’ and bends to follow ditch with evergreens on both sides basket sits just short of fence
Hole 9 on the grounds of bonner springs high school park near entrance off of kump ave. shooting from school marquee down the hill towards football field baskets sits precariously on hill side between last two large trees 680’
Adam Johnson

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
I would totally be down to do this.  I'll check out those holes you pointed out, Loomis, since you've already done the research and all.  I've had plans to just go out on my own and drive from spot to spit and play object golf. I've seen amazing fairways out there.  I have a portable basket.  If anyone is down to do this, send me a message.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

Loomis

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »
I am going to play some of these holes on Saturday if anyone is interested. I think I will play the corporate woods urban course and develop the holes further. Anyone interested just needs to show up at the Quintiles parking lot.

blkwizardsonny

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
i know charlotte nc has an annual urban skins, looks like they use a crew for safety of the urbanites
that is asheville nc  go to you tube and type in urban skins asheville nc

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
My buddy Dave and I did this back in 2008. We hauled my old DB5 basket around in his Jeep, it was a major PITA! ;D Shots included teeing off from the Scout statue to where the basket sat on a manhole cover toward the end of that little "point" of land north of the statue. Another hole brought the Nelson-Adkins shuttlecocks into play. (You too can create your own manhole and shuttlecock shots.)
We also had shots in the West Bottoms, Riverfront Park, St. Paul's School of Theology, and along Brush Creek in the Plaza. I cannot recall every place we went that day but lugging that DB5 around was getting old there toward the end. Lots of fun, but definitely would have been better with more than 2 people.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
A crew of a dozen or so is great for UDG. I have done it in the past with a dozen or so friends in the city. I recommend organizing your event for a few friends. Once these get big, people want to know what is happening. Regardless, UDG is great fun and there are lots of opportunities as noted on this forum.