Author Topic: What putter do you throw, and why?  (Read 578 times)

joots

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
What putter do you throw, and why?
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:55:07 PM »
  Ever year it seems that I choose a new putter.  It probably explains why it is not my strongest part of my game, but I keep working at it.  Currently I am going through a love for the Latitude Pure, which is much like the DD Judge, only beadless.  I have gone through my Challenger, Aviar, Wizard and even the Voodoo love periods, but keep insisting on change.  No real reason why, I just do. 

So, what do you throw and why?  Just curious...
Boom goes the Dynamite!

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
Re: What putter do you throw, and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
Although I don't have one right now, try the Blowfly. It is is extremenely soft, to the point you can bend it in half, it floats, it is stable. Makes a decent 75' and in approach. Great for rustic courses (Rosy DU, Cliff) as it absorbs the shock (most of the time) and tends to NOT roll away.

SwopeSlim
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
I've used Aviars, Blowfly, Wizard, Millenium Omega, Vibram Summit before I've finally settled.

My main putter is a Yeti Pro Aviar.  It's an Aviar but made with a R-Pro plastic.  During the cooling process it becomes slighlty concave.  I use it because for me it feels low profile for a putter, I like how it feels in my hand, I like the plastic, and I've gotten the most consistent with it (for me).  I always carry 2.  One beat in, one fairly fresh.  Beat in one is for tailwinds, or longer puts.  I do tend to put with a slightly anhyzer spush (spin push, more spin than push) a la Anthon.  I use my fresh one for headwinds or when I need to use more hyzer than anhyzer because of foliage, etc.

I also carry one DX Rhyno for a bit stronger headwinds.  It seems funny to me (because I prefer Yetis), but I prefer DX Rhynos over R-Pro Rhynos.

In even stronger headwinds (as seen at GBO), I even putt with a beat in DX Gator.  Flat top, terrible glide.  Fights wind and then just drops to the ground if you miss.

I recommend finding one you like, then stockpile.  Over the last year, I've accumulated through purchase, trade, winnings, etc. 8 Yetis now.  Practicing with a stack of the same putter, varrying just 2-3 grams, has helped me the most.

All three are beaded putters.  I just prefer beads.  Beadless putters seem naked or amputated, or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:53:54 PM by robm »
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
The beadless putters work better with light to no wind. Preferrably SS to SSS tacky plastic. The steadier the wind the more stable of disc. In high winds I might putt with a roc.
Steven Disc Glover

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 11:35:06 PM »
Challenger. I just like the way they feel. Wish I'd been more careful with all the old white ones I used to have. Gave my last one away to some dork for his birthday last August. ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Loomis

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
I throw broken putters that have an aversion to chains.

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
I throw round ones that say Organic Wizard, and I throw them because they're giggity.  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:33 PM »
McPro Aviar 175g  because they feel great and work for me.  They have durability issues, but I love them.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

KCDiscDawg

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Disc Dogs
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:28:08 PM »
Vibram Ridge and VP...... They work for me and their purty :)
>>>------> Earth<>Wind<> Fire<>Water<------<<<

Tony Burnett aka " Dirty Bird Dog"
PDGA #53029
KCFDC#1532

coops

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »
I switched to the Judge this year and am loving it so far. I switched because it is one of the best feeling discs I've ever had the joy of holding. It has a flatter profile which just seems to fit my hand wonderfully and, in the Classic plastic, is one of the stiffest AND grippiest discs out there.

Over my playing time I've putted:

Omega SS
Aviar P&A
Pro Rhyno
JK Aviar
KC Aviar
Sole
and now
Classic Judge

I probably never would have switched from the Rhyno if they hadn't changed the plastic and made it hard to find the right ones. Everything in between that Rhyno and the Judge has been just searching out the right one, but I plan to putt the Judge for a long time, now.

Bottom line: find something you like the feel of and makes sense with its flight and stock up!

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 03:18:15 PM »
I putt with G1i Wizards (the ones that look and feel sort of like porcelain).  I do pretty much all approaching with them as well, but also carry a couple of MVP putters for driving.