Author Topic: 2013 Midwest Amateur Championships - August 3rd  (Read 10539 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Midwest Amateur Championships - August 3rd
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
Thanks for spotting out there this weekend as well Tank.....oh wait, that was you spotting your chair!

'Doh! ;)

'We all know you wanted to be out there and prove that you could beat us all.  I think that Frank though may have given you a good run at it in that configuration....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
I also like the idea of an A tier but if this year would have been an A Tier, than more than 60 players would have had to join the PDGA, which is not a bad thing but it makes me concerned how many I would loose.  Most of the them were INT and Rec players.  I have had the idea also of having the Adv (maybe Masters) as 2 Day A Tier (Required) and the INT and Rec as a 1 Day B Tier.   Again just brainstorming some ideas publicly.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »
You can have a 2 day B-Tier though, it need not be an "A" tier to run multiple days.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 05, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
I guess I was thinking the 1 day keeps people from having to dedicate an entire weekend.  The higher divisions would then be showcased for 2 days
Scott Reek

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #199 on: August 05, 2013, 09:42:57 AM »

How long until you post the video? I was kidding about cutting me out, I'll be able to figure out some flaws if I watch it...

Both rounds will be up by the end of the week. WW will be first, of course. 

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
I just want to say thank you for putting on a great tournament.  It was well organized and thought out.  A huge thank you for all of the water available for the afternoon round at WW!!  I think I drank about a gallon of water during that round.  Those hills were tough on a big man!

As for the entry fee vs players pack, I agree that this was a great players pack for a low fee.  I'd like to say that I made it home with everything, but my stool didn't fare so well!!  It only made it about half way through the first round before collapsing. 

As to the additional rounds, A vs B tier etc...  I would like to see a similiar format next year.  I can see a case for making the Advanced an A tier, and or having them play a third round, but leave at least the Rec div to play an easier layout.  I have heard quite a few people comment that Rec is mostly younger players.  That may be true, but it's also for inexperienced players, or players who just want to go and have fun in a competition environment.  I.E. Fat Old men play Rec too :)  Just my $.02!

Again, Great tourney!  I had a blast!     
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
I just want to say thank you for putting on a great tournament.  It was well organized and thought out.  A huge thank you for all of the water available for the afternoon round at WW!!  I think I drank about a gallon of water during that round.  Those hills were tough on a big man!

As for the entry fee vs players pack, I agree that this was a great players pack for a low fee.  I'd like to say that I made it home with everything, but my stool didn't fare so well!!  It only made it about half way through the first round before collapsing. 

As to the additional rounds, A vs B tier etc...  I would like to see a similiar format next year.  I can see a case for making the Advanced an A tier, and or having them play a third round, but leave at least the Rec div to play an easier layout.  I have heard quite a few people comment that Rec is mostly younger players.  That may be true, but it's also for inexperienced players, or players who just want to go and have fun in a competition environment.  I.E. Fat Old men play Rec too :)  Just my $.02!

Again, Great tourney!  I had a blast!     

This is the Midwest Amateur Championships.  It's supposed to be a challenging tournament with challenging layouts.  If you want easier layouts, maybe smaller tournaments (like LSDiscs' recent Run for the Roses) would be a better choice for you.  I'm not trying to say your suggestion is a bad one, but for a tournament with a big footprint that could possibly get WAY bigger, I think it should stay challenging.

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 05, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
There are few Trophies, players packs and Shirts remaining from those who did not pick theres up.  Please make arrangements with me so we can get those set aside for you and then I can reach out to those who wanted extra shirts, mini and scorecards.
Scott Reek

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2013, 04:55:27 PM »
Thanks for spotting out there this weekend as well Tank.....oh wait, that was you spotting your chair!

'Doh! ;)

you mean adding scorecards and caddying? Your welcome...

nice snowman Jack... :P

Not sure if going OB 3 times on 17 or throwing your Grip bag 40 feet, was more impressive... audience?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
I personally like 3 rounds, 2 day tournaments.

As a Rec or Adv. Master player, I prefer A-tiers because it prevents non-rated players from playing down.  However, I believe this tournament wasn't too much of problem for that.

If the spirit of the tournament is a Regional (i.e. multi-state) Championship, an A-tier seems to make sense.

I also like to have some sort of function where all players can get involved.  Didn't see any of the Adv. Master, Grandmaster guys all day.  Mini-disc course & night ace race courses are fun.

KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
I personally like 3 rounds, 2 day tournaments.

As a Rec or Adv. Master player, I prefer A-tiers because it prevents non-rated players from playing down.  However, I believe this tournament wasn't too much of problem for that.

If the spirit of the tournament is a Regional (i.e. multi-state) Championship, an A-tier seems to make sense.

I also like to have some sort of function where all players can get involved.  Didn't see any of the Adv. Master, Grandmaster guys all day.  Mini-disc course & night ace race courses are fun.

I agree with this. I also like the two day thing. I was terribly upset when I found out about the way the Wide open was done for the Rec and Int. players (though I understand why Jack made that decision) because I wanted the whole experience but still be competitive at my skill level. I went in to the WO knowing that I wasn't going to be playing for anything but pride and while it was still a good time it was missing the feeling of true competition in my opinion. The MAC had that and it showed by how close the scores were from top to bottom.

I think this tournament went as good as any could have! Perfect weather, course layouts, flow, and gamesmanship among all the cards I saw. I think the only real wait I remember was at Rosedale when a family decided to take a -VERY- leisurely stroll through the middle of #2's fairway. Many thanks to Scott, Pete, Matt and all of the DD crew and an even bigger thank you to all of the volunteers! You guys made this event a major success and I think word of mouth alone will have players chomping at the bit to play this next year.

I really hope that the MAC keeps all divisions on the same schedule. I want to keep the spirit of competition alive throughout all divisions. The way I see it this is supposed to be a "championship" tournament so that should make this competitive and challenging all the way through. And if you think about it, the Intermediate division made up more than 28% of the entire field alone (51/180) and it was still tight scoring. Because we were all at about the same level it made this event that much more enjoyable. Again going back to the WO, the field was exploded after the first round in the advanced division because you had Adv., Int., and Rec all playing in the one division just because they didn't want to miss out on any of the same courses that the Pros played. While it was still fun, it was missing that feeling of "I have a chance!" before you even sent the first drive down the fairway.

In summation, my hope would be to keep all divisions playing the same all of the same courses and make it a true championship for all levels of competition.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:57:19 PM by andyportwood »
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

spnachio

« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »
I agree with Andy.

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2013, 05:59:25 AM »
Well said, Rob and Andy. 3 rounds, two days, and some opportunity to get together with all divisions. It is a "championship" afterall.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

bMathews

• Am Poster
  • Positive is how I live
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
Forgive since i'm relatively new here, but where are the results posted?

does that include the results from the 1 rounder on Friday?  Nice round to Andy and Nick BTW.
RHBH | 11yrs
PDGA# 59297 - 889 rated
2014 KCFDC Tag #54→182→110→6→202→39→50→39→50→169
2014 DD Tag #91→130→8→7→146→71

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #209 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »

Forgive since i'm relatively new here, but where are the results posted?

The pre-registration list turns into the tournament results list once it starts.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/103733/602867289