Author Topic: It’s a Love Your Courses Weekend – Weed Wacking Parties and More…  (Read 917 times)

rhonda

• Administrator
  • Am Poster
    • View Profile
We are making the final push to have the courses looking great for our out of town guests and next weekend’s Kansas City Wide Open.  Any amount of time you can give will be appreciated whether is an hour or or several hours.  There are little things that you can do like tee signs, putting up new flags or paint OB lines, help spread mulch.  How about doing some weed whacking or clearing a pile of debris?

It’s all happening this weekend: Saturday June 8 at Rosedale or Water Works and Sunday June 9 at Swope.

The KCFDC will bring lunch and beer for all volunteers!

Saturday June 8  @ Water Works

Weed and mulch peace sign on #4
    Clean out trenches on #5
    Clean up fairway #9
    Remove downed limbs
    Rake out drainage beds
    Replace flags
    Paint O.B. lines
    Stain marquee and map

Please bring gloves, rakes,  shovels, hoes, chainsaw if you have them.
Larry Childers from the Briar Cliff Community Alliance will also be in attendance at Waterworks.  There are quite a few improvements being spoken of for Waterworks.  Please introduce yourself and let Larry know how much you enjoy the park if you have a chance!

Saturday June 8  @ Rosedale

It’s a Weed Wacking Party at Rosedale!

Please bring Weed Wackers, gas and string. We’ll be starting at 8:30 am.  A few people will also be spreading dust in front of a few tee pads and we will have the shovels and buckets for that task. Out of Bounds Lines will be marked that day also.

Click here for the full Weed Wacking Party Plan

Saturday June 8 @ Blue Valley

Sunday June 9  @ Swope

9 am to 12 pm

Course is looking good but still lots of mulching to do and painting OB lines. Bring gloves, rakes, shovels and trucks to haul mulch if you have them. Be first to check out Swope Gold!

Additional Volunteer Opportunities: http://kcfdc.org/kcwo-volunteers-needed

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Blue Valley-
Sorry I didn't get Rhonda good information and I should of course be flogged.

Start ~8:30-9
Mowing of the grass--some clearing areas-bring lawnmowers, shouldn't be too bad-clearing paths
Whacking of the weeds
Painting of the OB lines along the road
Pruning of the trees
eating of the foods

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

BenC

If you were planning on coming to Water Works but decided to go to Blue Valley to flog Jack please reconsider.  It would be fun to flog jack but that line will be huge.  We will be starting at Water Works around 9:00.

Loomis

The line to flog jack will probably start at waterworks and stretch to blue valley.

BenC

Here's an idea.  Anyone that shows up to help at one of the courses gets a ticket they can redeem to flog Jack at the players party.  The courses get done, Jack gets flogged, everyone wins.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
How 'bout everyone that shows up gets a bottle of HopSlam?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I am down to my last 12 pack I believe, a 6'er from this year and a 6'r from last year.  Just had a bottle from 2011 the other night while watching the Hawks lose....But I digress, Detroit isn't playing any more, and yes the line would be long to flog me, and it could very well go to WW, though I doubt I have irritated that many people.....maybe.....unsure....however I do feel that based on responses that Blue Valley is probably going to be ok from the volunteers this weekend and that if you are debating though the ideal chance to flog me or hit me with some object projected may be enticing, WW can and should be using more helpers.

THanks for watching.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I look forward to getting back up there, and seeing the courses all groomed up for the WO next week!  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
yes the line would be long to flog me, and it could very well go to WW, though I doubt I have irritated that many people
Say what?!!!
Steven Disc Glover

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Love your courses...

KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Loomis

No reason to panic but the rain did a little work on the peace sign over night.

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
Roseda;e work day went great and I would like to thank those people that showed up to help out:
John Park III, Mike Thomas, Will Burris, Jason Mcewen, Sam Webber, David Steeby, Danny Rodriguez, Josh Burdek, Mike Patran,
Dave Zentz, Jay Rivard and Kristie The Prez!
If you see anyone of these great people please thank them!
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

BenC

I need to give huge props to the following people that Help out on Saturday at Water Works:
Tracy Walker, Loomis, and Cooper for fixing the tee signs and moving mulch.
Chris Millsap for helping to get the mulch for the peace sign and helping to throw it.  Rhonda, Jaimee Crosby, and Jodi O’Keefe for painting the swingset.  Amando and Caleb for painting the O.B. lines.  And Ian who got tree on 7 mostly removed and mulching.  Even the couple hours some of these people put in, made the course look better.  Please be sure to let them know what you think of the course.

Sunday at Swope we didn’t have as many people but their accomplishments have to be recognized also.
Chris Millsap for finishing the painting on the pro shop and making the new stairs look even better.
Caleb and Jose Ossa for coming in, when Eric and I were running out of gas, to get the rest of the mulch done.  The fresh legs and backs were awesome.
Dan Cashen, the stairs to #14 are great.
Again if you see these guys please give big thanks.

It’s because of all the people that helped on the courses this weekend that makes Kansas City the best place to live and play.  I think everyone that helped on the Missouri courses also played golf before, during or after helping out on the courses.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Blue Valley Crowe-
Sully and sis Crowe
Father Matt
Kevin Weiss
Hal Baby
Tom Mollenkamp

I think I am missing someone, but we got a lot done out there to clean up some loose items.  Jim Kreeger will go unnoticed by many, but has continued to give his life to that course out there.  Enough can never be said about Jim Kreeger and the dedication he has for the course.  Never enough.

I would like to thank Dan Cashen as well as Kevin for helping to move baskets on Saturday afternoon at Swope.  The pins are set, some OB on the back gold course has been painted, Parking lot, OB on #5.  I hope to get out there today with signs to finish but bags are also over all the pads not being used during the Wide Open. 

A week from now we will be talking about the exhaustive events.  Can't wait, more to do, and never to late to help.  Thanks to all that took time to step up and make a difference this weekend!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Friday there was an older gentleman with a red pickup truck hauling crushed up asphalt around Rosedale.  Anybody know who this was?  The guys in FTL did not.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj