Author Topic: Rosedale update  (Read 2149 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Rosedale update
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
I thought the park closed from midnite to 6 am, it'd really suck to be charged with trespass after a such a tragic event
espouse elucidation

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
I thought the park closed from midnite to 6 am, it'd really suck to be charged with trespass after a such a tragic event
I was wondering if that would be how the power company and city can worm out of a lawsuit.
Steven Disc Glover

Loomis

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
Nope. Still liable.

coops

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »
Liable yes, though the park being closed might be considered a mitigating factor.

Somebody call Babbit! We need a lawyer in here!

Or, if anyone knows, in the case of a downed power line, is it possible for the power company to kill the power to that part of the grid so that a downed line isn't dangerous? If so, why would it not be pursued?

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »
While I agree that the power company should have taken care of the downed line, the fact remains that the deceased had no business being in the park when it was closed. I don't see how the same expectations of safety would apply in a place you aren't supposed to be in the first place. What if, instead of being electrocuted, he had slipped on loose gravel and fell and broke his neck in the parking lot? Would the city still be liable? Forgive me if I'm missing something, but when one trespasses, what rights does one have at that point?
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
What if this had happened at 9:59pm? He would not have been trespassing but the line would have still been live for six hours after it had first been reported. It's a public park. The weather cleared up and was nice after about 7pm. They have no excuse for leaving that live line on the ground for that length of time without at least cordoning it off with caution tape or something.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Loomis

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 09:45:54 PM »
Unfortunately liable laws are not concerned with hours of operation. And the issue isnt park related, it's kcpl related. The park didn't kill him. The power line did.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
This is a Board of Public Utilities issue not KCP&L but that's just semantics. It was the power company's issue. But the police could have easily come up to check it out and wrapped some of the yellow tape around to keep people away from it. They were notified first. I don't know the protocol though. It seems no one does. My guess is the protocol will come out in court and it will be discovered that it wasn't followed.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Loomis

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 10:00:08 PM »
It will never get to court.

spnachio

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
Where are the park hours posted?

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »

That may be the kicker. Only reason I'm aware of the hours is because we were wrapping up a glow round out there at 2am a few years ago, and a cop told us the park was closed and we had to leave.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

Loomis

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
The hours of most parks are usually sun up to sun down. And one of the possible conclusions to this event could be the installation of a gate by the city.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »

That may be the kicker. Only reason I'm aware of the hours is because we were wrapping up a glow round out there at 2am a few years ago, and a cop told us the park was closed and we had to leave.

I believe it's posted on the board by the skatepark.

The hours of most parks are usually sun up to sun down. And one of the possible conclusions to this event could be the installation of a gate by the city.

Water Works Park closes at 10 or 11 I'm pretty sure.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 08:54:16 AM »

I believe it's posted on the board by the skatepark.

Water Works Park closes at 10 or 11 I'm pretty sure.

Correct about Rosedale, incorrect about WW, you just can't park there based on the signage after certain hours.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

zumagun

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »

Rosedale is my home course, and I was absolutely gutted to hear what happened Sunday morning.  Our reaction after this tragedy is natural and predictable.  We're all upset and want the cops, power company and/or the city to take the blame.

I know the news has asked the question "Why was the downed line left unattended by BPU for so long?"  I think the real question is "Why was the downed line left unattended by anybody for so long?"  Laying in the grass, it was a deadly trap.

If the tournament was called off because some armed bear traps were found scattered around the practice basket, would people still have left the park without knowing the traps were disarmed or cordoned off?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:33:15 AM by zumagun »