Author Topic: Rosedale update  (Read 1930 times)

Loomis

Re: Rosedale update
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »
Hmmmmm. Bear traps.... Live power line which can't be deactivated instantaneously like a bear trap.... Hmmmmm. Nope. Gonna have to say that one doesn't quite work.

I'm pretty sure the lawyers have already pow-wowed non-stop for the last few days to figure out how to get out of this one. And I'm pretty sure the bear trap connection wasn't brought up.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
It will never get to court.

Most likely. Too obvious. Some sort of settlement will be agreed to.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Loomis

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »
And that concerns me; What will be the fall-out from this on the park? I just don't want the Rosie faithful to have to pay - in one fashion or another - for this mishap. Lawsuits usually mean changes to avoid future calamities.

Loomis

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 10:16:23 AM »
The first course of action by any political body during a crisis is usually formation of a good offense then deflection of blame by obfuscation.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
I can let you know about the reason for leaving the park unattended is that it wasn't safe, 911 was called, and we worked towards notifying players as best we could of the cancellation of the event from a live power wire downed.

Water and electricity don't mix, as such I personally wouldn't want (didn't want) anyone out and around the area.  the notion of staying up around the downed power wire until someone came out wasn't an option in my mind.

I knew that 911 had been called.  Upon allowing a few hours to pass, I asked it to be looked at again, found that it was still "down" called BPU and left messages alerting them to the danger of it.

My statements are all that we can do in an environment where we are not the professionals that handle the situations, nor should we send anyone in harms way to mark a safe zone without permission or expertise in that field to ensure their safety.  I am uncertain if the electrical current in the wet grass would have harmed anyone, so chose not to take a chance, but leave that information in the hands of the resources we could identify.

This is a horrible loss, and tragic tale of a loss that could of been prevented in my opinion, and I am having a hard time with not second guessing myself in this as well.  Uncertain what else I could have done at the time, I can only think of things that I might have done knowing this horrible outcome could happen.  Sad, and hurt over it all.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:26:44 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »
pretty sure emergency routes, hospitals, residences, and most every other public facility would take a higher priority for first responders from the power company than hole 18 at rosie. now if was like hole 16 down under, that b%tchad been fixed pronto.
espouse elucidation

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
Did anybody know the victim personally or as an acquaintance?
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
Hmmmmm. Bear traps.... Live power line which can't be deactivated instantaneously like a bear trap.... Hmmmmm. Nope. Gonna have to say that one doesn't quite work.

If the line was insulated with exposed conductors, those conductors could have been taped off at the very least. One layer of vinyl electrical tape can protect from up to 600 volts or something like that. I cannot believe they didn't at least do that.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:34:26 PM by Mike Hyzer »
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

zumagun

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 12:23:17 PM »
We know that emergency services and the utility company were notified, but was the property owner (City?) notified that a condition existed that may have been likely to cause serious injury or death?

A few minutes of Google lawyering tells me that, with respect to a trespasser, the legal theory of "premises liability" might only hold the city responsible if they knew that the dangerous artificial condition existed and failed to give reasonable warning to prevent injury or death.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Correct about Rosedale, incorrect about WW, you just can't park there based on the signage after certain hours.

A cop kicked a group of us out while playing glow around 11:30 once. Told us the park was closed. Wouldn't even let us finish the hole :(

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »
The hours of most parks are usually sun up to sun down. And one of the possible conclusions to this event could be the installation of a gate by the city.
Loomis I heard a gate is very likely to be installed.
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
would not have prevented people from entering the park though......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
I know that. BTW I was not implying earlier about your putting caution tape out. I agree that a qualified individual should have been there to do that. Get your records ready for your dialed out numbers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:39:52 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

Lander

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »
Found this on youtube today.

fLander

PDGA

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
Having conducted many investigations over the last 19 years for law firms I can tell you that this is likely going to fall into the category of a wrongful death / premise liability case with the possibility of multiple defendants.  Jack and those who are witnesses, it would be best to keep detailed notes of exactly what you saw, did and continued to do following the downed line.  Avoid any speculation and refrain from adding any opinion to those notes.  In addition, your phone records will be of interest.  Those of you who witnessed the power line fall down and anything in between the time it fell and the tragic death occurred will likely be called up as fact witnesses if a civil case is filed at some point in time.  Jack, if you know who was in the vicinity at the time it happened or anyone involved with the scene following it would be best to compile a list of names and contact information for those people as well.  These cases can go on for years so keeping good notes now is paramount to see that your testimony is not questioned in the future.

Terrible and tragic loss for that poor fellow and his friends and family.  Thoughts on Hole 1 will forever be changed.
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Put some more torque on it kid!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA