Author Topic: 2013 Discraft Ace Race  (Read 4375 times)

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Discraft Ace Race
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »
I often take notes and like here people comments and concerns as it helps me with future events.  I agree that even from a non player for the Ace Race, I did not like seeing such big group.  Do people like the idea that I require a limit of no more than 8 per card?

Mark Mills, I did overlook your Ace, so yours counts.  Several of the others that I have been told about after the fact where not marked to indicate an Ace so and Ace was not awarded.  If they are not parked, there is no way for me to know if there is an Ace, especially since our format can easily get 3 or more points without getting an Ace.

8 on a card seems like a good limit.

As far as the scoring goes I have a suggestion. Awarding 1 point for any metal/fabric seems excessive, especially with all the portable baskets out there(extra legs=more cheap points). Seems like it should be 1 point for metal/fabric basket and above. Probably should be 2 points for chains. Making a chain out and skipping into the pole worth the same amount of points doesn't make any sense as this is an ace race, hitting the pole/legs often isn't even close to an ace.

Still a fun event no matter what. Thanks Scott.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
For me the concept of getting points for any basket/fabric just allows more players to have fun.  Even with this scoring there are a lot of players who get 0 Points and I want to try and get as many points as possible, even if it is getting "cheaper points" points based on a low shot. 

As I have talked to players, even a small amount of points is better than no points.

i could always go to the format that Aces are marked with an A and metal is marked with an M and the most A's win followed by the most M's win as a tie breaker.  That is the originally scoring outlined by Discraft for Ace Races.  This would also eliminate the question whether an Ace was received on a card or not.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

spnachio

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
Fun time. Ideas for next year:
Throw 2 each hole.
On holes with multiple baskets, move them about a foot or two apart. I thought normal hole 7 would have been cool to have a few spaced inside putting circle.

As far as gang golf,  if you think groups were big,  you haven't played on an Andy and Deano card.

And hey Discraft, nice disc and merch, but way too much disc for an ace race. These disc had to be snapped pretty hard to fly straight. In my Polish opinion these discs are not that stable just a little fast for the distance required. Resulting in them going left(for rhbh) quickly when they slow.

Thanks Josh, Swade, and Scott for getting it together. Also thanks to Kcfdc for bringing out some goodies as well.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 07:28:26 PM »
I rather enjoyed the gang golf feel. Normally I like a fast pace but with everyone only throwing once, I thought we were moving along nicely.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
Great event, well run given you were working with at least 273 sets of expectations with minimal overlap of said expectations.
And how about those discs? Any left over?

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »
Now I just need to decide if I will practice with my buzzz or my roc to get ready for next month  8)

Details coming next week. Gonna be good!

Big props to Scott and all invloved. 273 seemed to go fairly smooth unless you arrived at 8:30.  :o Good lay out and good flow to Swope as usual.

The only change I would make involves a DJ, libations (this was club event after all), a little snack and a MAP. A map on the back of the rules and directions would have helped a lot of people.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:02:22 PM by ekolk »

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:49 AM »
I never heard about the minimal 8 per card until now. I'm not protesting that concept. If this were part of the rules before we started, nobody asked us to trim it down after we  started or between rounds, although a couple people dropped out but not because of the size of the card. But the old addage "the most fun wins" should never be forgotten. Our group had lots of fun.
I like the concept of marking M and A but all that needs to be acknowledged to differentiate is the A.
Steven Disc Glover

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:49 AM »
have groups of 10 or more weight and be staggered together so that they are all is one big group . . . because the large groups are fun to listen to and I didn't mean to come off as a complete jerk

So fat people have to be staggered? And all fat people are fun?? yea Jack maybe you are a complete jerk. LOL.

Just playin with you. I love it when people on the interwebs use the wrong words. There funny.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2013, 08:16:47 AM »
Talk to text on my phone as I was driving...so yeah!  I maybe a jerk, and at times I am one, I am ok in that notion though.

THere isn't a minimum 8 count on the card, and no one was going to ask the MONSTROSITY group to pare down after you started, I just think that MAYBE if you wanna go that way that there is a SET time for the groups in excess of 10 that all have to tee off about the same time so that the next groupings can alter their plans.

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"