Author Topic: The Fallen: Nick Moeder memorial  (Read 609 times)

Loomis

The Fallen: Nick Moeder memorial
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »
On Thursday at 1 pm, at the Amos family funeral home on Johnson drive, Nick Moeder will be remembered. It is open to the public. I plan on attending.

Acccording to a family friend who came to visit the accident site, Nick was new to the sport but a huge fan. He was very proud of his new discs and was looking forward to his next round.

I did not know him but I know the fanaticism which drives the disc golfer to new endeavors.

A long swerving burn mark winds through the green grass between the practice basket and the tennis court. There are flowers near the utility pole. I hope a more permanent memorial might someday be placed nearby in his honor.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:40:14 PM by Loomis »

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
Re: The Fallen: Nick Moeder memorial
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
I won't be able to make it since I am taking off tomorrow morning to watch the boy while my wife goes to the dentist but would have loved to have come out to show my sympathy and support to Nicks family and friends. I will see if Chris might be able to sneak out of work for this to represent the Portwood contingent. I agree that a more permanent memorial should be placed in the park for the Moeder family. Perhaps the club can have a fund raising event to help with the memorial expenses? Just a thought.
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
While I understand our community's desire to show it's support of the Moeder family, i think any memorial should be cleared with the family first. There is a chance that they may not want to be reminded that Nick's brief association with disc golf ultimately led to his demise. If they were to sign off, I think a living memorial, like a tree with a small plaque, would be much much appropriate for a public park. Also, if this idea were to move forward, I think that waiting for at least several weeks before contacting them would be respectful.

I won't be able to make it since I am taking off tomorrow morning to watch the boy while my wife goes to the dentist but would have loved to have come out to show my sympathy and support to Nicks family and friends. I will see if Chris might be able to sneak out of work for this to represent the Portwood contingent. I agree that a more permanent memorial should be placed in the park for the Moeder family. Perhaps the club can have a fund raising event to help with the memorial expenses? Just a thought.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

spnachio

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
Good call, Rick.