Author Topic: PDGA League in 2013 at Cliff  (Read 5295 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: PDGA League in 2013 at Cliff
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
hmmm...

Ok, so it does look like it is a cumulative process on the leagues, so get there as often as you can to get more "points?"

I am going to try to figure out how best to assign points to players in terms that will work.  For those that make it all 10 weeks, they would be "highest", 9, 8, 7.......you can see where I am going with this.

I will be working with the PDGA to figure out the best method on this.  (wish me well)

BTW though, the service levels from the PDGA have improved drastically.  Infact I got a call proactively today indicating the issues that I was having and asking me for input.

This is a drastic change from years past and one that I am excited to see moving forward for the major governing body of the sport.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »
Jack, from the PDGA league FAQ.

How does league scoring work for final awards and payouts? TDs can run their leagues pretty much however they run them now using best average scores, a points system, best 4 of 10 finish positions or handicaps to determine nightly and final league standings. Payouts will not be reported to the PDGA so amateurs may even get cash payouts if the TD prefers and they will not lose their amateur standing.

That's good stuff right there
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
The problem comes in assigning the points to the correct division.

I would love to help people get invites from this, and ensure that their points acquired are going to the division that they want to have them in.  I know myself either last year or the year before, I had MPM, MPO, MA1, and MM1 points.....but then that is me, I am a weird fellar (yeah yeah, you can all throw those insults now!) but I assume that most people want the points to go where they can go.  If I can assign points solely on the event, and not on divisions, then they shouldn't be asking for the division codes.

Again, we shall see as I was told that this was sort of penciled in, even though this is year 2 of it, they have more pressing matters *they are correct!* to attend to.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
Points are either Pro or Am.  Point accumulation isn't by division. Jack, you didn't accumulate MPO points and MPM points, you accumulated Pro points.  Same for MA1 and MM1, you accumulated Am points.  But you still have to a report division so the PDGA can use the appropriate points factor.

Tracy is right.  I have even emailed the PDGA to verify this.  The reason why MA1 point factor is different then MM1 points is that MA1 should be harder (not age protected), therefore the multiplication factor is more.

One example, look at (don't laugh) Holly Finley for 2012.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/80188/2012

At the top, there are Professional Points and Amateur Points.

Her Pro points came from both Open and Open Women.  It doesn't matter, it is all Pro.

Her Am points came from Advanced (not gender specific), Adv. Women, Intermediate Women, and Rec Women.  It doesn't matter, it is all Am.

Using all 4 Am divisions she scored in, let's look at a B-Tier points factor.
Adv. 7.5
Adv. Women 4.5
Intermediate Women 3
Rec. Women 2.25

So if she beat 5 people each division, it would be 37.5, 22.5, 15, and 11.25 respectively.

Now, if she thought she could hold her own intermediate (not gender) vs. adv. women, intermediate (not gender) is a 6 vs. 4.5

So what the PDGA is saying (whether you agree or not) is that it is harder to place in Intermediate than it is in Adv. Women, actually it is 6 to 4.5 (or 33%) harder.

I geek out about stuff like this.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
Look at anyone that you know that has played various divisions. 

Ken Climo-has points in Open and Masters - but it is all Pro.
Ron Convers Jr. - points in Open and Masters - but it is all Pro.

Hey, let's even look at me.

http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/80912/2012

I have points in: Advanced Masters (6), Intermediate (104), Rec (87) and Novice (15) but had a total of 212 points just barely squeaking by to receive an invitation to Worlds this year, needing 200 for Adv. Masters.  I only played 1 tournie and only earned 6 points in MM1 (actually got last place for the division), but received an invite.  If I didn't have those Novice points, I wouldn't have received an invite to Am Worlds! Fair?  I don't know.  But you can bet your sweet ace I'm playing this year.  I just know how to work the system.  Even if I am the 3rd to the lowest rated player.  I'm like the Jamaican bobsled team, or the 14th seed that only got into NCAA's because I made a lucky 3-point shot at the buzzer in my conference even though I had a losing record.  I'm going to the BIG DANCE baby!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:54:59 PM by robm »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »
Points are either Pro or Am.  Point accumulation isn't by division. Jack, you didn't accumulate MPO points and MPM points, you accumulated Pro points.  Same for MA1 and MM1, you accumulated Am points.  But you still have to a report division so the PDGA can use the appropriate points factor.

This is what I get for thinking about this stuff and trying to do my job.  I read this and went DUH?  WTF was I thinking??

Dunce hat on, sitting in the corner.... :-X :P
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
You will need to be in attendance for at least 6 of the 10 weeks to qualify for the "series award" (TBD, but I will have something)  I would also encourage more participation for Am's in this series as well this upcoming year.

Has this been determined?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
most weeks=win for the event, if tied go to score based on same weeks, then ratings based on weeks that are different is the method I plan on using.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
ratings update july 2, hope that NE league is in there.
espouse elucidation