Author Topic: Roc V Buzzz 2013 - September 21 @ Swope Park  (Read 4406 times)

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
Re: Roc V Buzzz 2013 - September 21 @ Swope Park
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

I know some statisticians will have fun with this data, the amateur cursory glance says drop those outlying 72's and Team Buzz wins handily!

Too bad about the turn-out Eric, it was a beautiful fall-like Saturday, hopefully folks got out and enjoyed it.  I was glad to spend it at Swope with a great bunch of golfers. Thanks to everyone who contributed their time and effort!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:36:56 PM by dan howard »

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
Team Buzz wins handily!

Buzz got 2nd-3rd and 4th, but the ROC is STILL 1st!!!!! Long live the greatest disc ever made...!

Wish I coulda made it...

Thanks for running this Kolkenheimer!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
Nice shooting Val
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2013, 04:41:10 PM »
I thought led zeppelin 4 was the greatest disc of all time
espouse elucidation

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
What a fun event. I can't wait to play next year. Discraft needs to come out with a new putter and call it a Classic Buzz to help even the field of discs used at this event. Team Buzz only lost because it was the most popular disc choice. There needs to be a equal match up between teams. If team Roc can only come up with 11 players then just use the top 11 scores on Team Buzz.  There was also one player that finished ahead of me who thought 4 was the max score you could take on one hole and I saw him get at a 7 on one hole. Maybe that rule was only for Team Roc members.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
I'll do this one thing at a time-

Team Buzz only lost because it was the most popular disc choice. There needs to be a equal match up between teams. If team Roc can only come up with 11 players then just use the top 11 scores on Team Buzz.

You can't ignore the worst Buzzz throwers without ignoring the worst Roc throwers as well, wouldn't be fair. Instead you have to use either the standard deviation (which takes a lot of math, and Erik should have that data posted soon), or you simply take a certain percentage of each team.  Drop, say, the bottom 20% from each team. Then you'd drop the bottom 2 players from team Roc, and the bottom 4 from team Buzzz.

After doing that, team Roc averages 123 exactly, and team Buzzz's average was 125 exactly.

There was also one player that finished ahead of me who thought 4 was the max score you could take on one hole and I saw him get at a 7 on one hole. Maybe that rule was only for Team Roc members.

The rule was that the maximum round score was 72, which was to eliminate extreme outliers. That does break down to 4 shots per hole, but it wasn't mean to be used on each hole, it was meant to be used for the round in it's entirety. If someone interpreted it that way, that was their mistake.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
I thought led zeppelin 4 was the greatest disc of all time

There you go, Thinkin' again.... What'd we tell you bout that?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »
What a fun event. I can't wait to play next year. Discraft needs to come out with a new putter and call it a Classic Buzz to help even the field of discs used at this event. Team Buzz only lost because it was the most popular disc choice. There needs to be a equal match up between teams. If team Roc can only come up with 11 players then just use the top 11 scores on Team Buzz.  There was also one player that finished ahead of me who thought 4 was the max score you could take on one hole and I saw him get at a 7 on one hole. Maybe that rule was only for Team Roc members.

Guth,

Thanks for the positive feedback and that situation sucks. It was obviously misinterpreted and Peter nailed it on the head. I could have dealt with that discrepancy then but really can't do anything now. One player has told me he misinterpreted the max score, so yes I thought I had clearly communicated but not at all.  It's one more thing to work on for next year.

I'll have the numbers up this week. I gotta head cold now and a full week ahead, so it dropped in priority.

Once again a huge thank you to our sponsors and to all who played and made it great.

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
It was obviously misinterpreted and Peter nailed it on the head.

The rule was that the maximum round score was 72, which was to eliminate extreme outliers. That does break down to 4 shots per hole,

Is this some kind of OP math that Paola folks don't get? 21 holes times 4 per should be 84 strokes.

gleauzzzinier

• Am Poster
  • please stop talking while people are throwing
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
I believe the  guth  is making reference to my erroneous thinking that lead to a gross misinterpretation of the rules even after several conversations with the td.

here's a helpful hint: if you never pitch in to help or have never run an event and you have an issue or question, bring it up BEFORE the event is over. chances are it can be resolved then and there.
and go ahead and add three strokes to the player whose score you were keeping and he still finished ahead of you.
Thanks for a great time Eric, 125.05 reasons to celebrate and a roc ain't one.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
Is this some kind of OP math that Paola folks don't get? 21 holes times 4 per should be 84 strokes.

lol I was still stuck on 18 holes. Valid point, although I suppose the 72 stroke limit served it's purpose well either way.

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
here's a helpful hint: if you never pitch in to help or have never run an event and you have an issue or question, bring it up BEFORE the event is over. chances are it can be resolved then and there.
and go ahead and add three strokes to the player whose score you were keeping and he still finished ahead of you.

When a player blows up on one hole it usually affects the way they play the rest of the tournament that is unless they can just take a 4 and convince everyone in their group that's the rule.

"if you never pitch in to help or have never run an event and you have an issue or question, bring it up BEFORE the event is over. chances are it can be resolved then and there."

Is this advise for the person who cheated or the people on his card that let him? If there is an issue that comes up during the round its the responsibility of the player and the people on the card to resolve it and if they have "never pitched in to help or have never run an event" maybe they don't know that you can go to the TD to get it resolved. I did not see anybody cheat. I did see someone playing badly and was still able to come in with a good score.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:03:36 PM by Guth »

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »
Here's a link to the results and some stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArlNIimRXNHEdHNEVUdDckRDUk5ibVhCVGFsdHVXMUE#gid=1

David Valdiviez was the day's champion representing Team Roc.

Mark Stiles took home the most cash with an ace on hole 8 and second place overall.

Team Buzzz was more consistent and four of the top six came from Team Buzzz, but the players who showed up for Roc come through.

Thanks again to the KCFDC, WPTC, TallGrass, DD, and DGW for  their support. The Petrins, Mike and Melissa, were amazing! Volunteer help like that is worth paying for. You guys were great!

I'm already thinking about next year.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:30:07 PM by ekolk »

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »
Mean, median, and mode.  Nice.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj