Author Topic: Swope 'Folf' Course  (Read 1021 times)

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
Re: Swope 'Folf' Course
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 10:34:47 AM »
who among you knows the kc icon who won the inaugrual "u.s. open" folf tournament?

Hosfeld in 88, edging out John Heaton, Sam Ferrans, and Otto Spiers.  Dan Cashen in 89. The 90 event was cancelled, thus making Dan the defending National Folf Champion in perpetuity or until he's no able to make the claim. We're scanning the ads, stories, and box scores that appear in Disc Golf World News, and will provide a link to a PDF of them later today.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
I started there summer of 1981.
Tom Ingle sitting at the picnic table for 2 years until he built the wood shed Pro Shop
I think he charged a dollar per round.  For $100 you could play unlimited for a year.
He called it Folf because Steady Ed Headrick (who started DGA) wanted royalties for using
the "Disc Golf" name.
Thus the one and only Folf course in the world.
The course was an early conception on the now Swope Park Disc Golf Course.
Hole 1 teeepad was what is now hole 9 teepad. The pin was down on the flat area before
OB gully.
Current Hole 13 was added after the big zoo renovation. The area was a staging area for construction. Dan Cashen terraformed with the bunker hills.

Historian Slim
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
Here's a link to the DGWN stories/ads/box scores for the Folf Championships: http://discgolfworld.com/docs/TheUSFolfChampionship.pdf
Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
That's sweet Rick, Thanks for sharing...!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
$55 bucks back in '89 is like $103 today. Thanks for the scan and sharing Rick!
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
Folf might have been used first in print in Stancil Johnson's 1975 book: Frisbee: A Practitioner’s Manual and Definitive Treatise. Folf is still used, possibly more than disc golf, in Montana.  Remembering long-ago talks with Tom Ingle,  I don't think that Ed Headrick actually requested royalties, but Ingle wanted to avoid that possibility. He had recently gotten burned after he printed a large number of bumper stickers that said Frisbee. He got a cease-and-desist letter from the Wham-O legal department telling him that Frisbee was trademarked and he couldn't sell them any longer. When he told Headrick about his idea to open a pay-to-play course, Tom sensed that Ed might eventually try to get royalties. After having recently dealt with Wham-O, he chose Folf to ensure that Headrick wouldn't try to ding him

Lynne and I first played Swope in June of 1983, where we met CD Steiner for the first time. I believe the green fee at that time was $4 a round or $5 a day. Jim is correct about the $100 annual memberships.

I started there summer of 1981.
Tom Ingle sitting at the picnic table for 2 years until he built the wood shed Pro Shop
I think he charged a dollar per round.  For $100 you could play unlimited for a year.
He called it Folf because Steady Ed Headrick (who started DGA) wanted royalties for using
the "Disc Golf" name.
Thus the one and only Folf course in the world.
The course was an early conception on the now Swope Park Disc Golf Course.
Hole 1 teeepad was what is now hole 9 teepad. The pin was down on the flat area before
OB gully.
Current Hole 13 was added after the big zoo renovation. The area was a staging area for construction. Dan Cashen terraformed with the bunker hills.

Historian Slim
Rick Rothstein

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com