Author Topic: Of Ticks and Trash  (Read 441 times)

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
Of Ticks and Trash
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
Having launched my go-to Destroyer down the cliff left on my second shot on #17 Sunday, I decided to venture down the cliff in the hopes that by some slim chance it was lying around on the ground.  Well, I never found my disc but saw plenty of beer bottles, the majority of which were Heineken.  Also, much to my amazement, I did not have a single tick on me.  So, there are 2 advantages Cliff has over Tickland in Olathe:

1)  Ticks don't exist in NE Kansas City and
2)  They enjoy good beer in Kessler Park

Jack, you should be proud.   8)

Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Of Ticks and Trash
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »
We vary on good beer.....as for ticks, I haven't seen/had many from there.  I think the urban environment helps.  There have been deer, foxes, eagles, hawks, otters, beavers all over the park so it is very cool to have that many animals there in the local urban scene.

More trash pick up will happen in the area that you spoke of is planned in the future.  As the course gets expanded more areas will be opening up to create even more beauty in the local park.  THat park is a gem and is working towards a great place to recreate for many items beyond disc golf.  The area is really starting to get more attention from the area residents and community leaders, also great old homes aren't common yet common in this area, and that in turn allows you to create a good home at an affordable price and have amenities of the city flair.

If only the school district improves, it has made strides, and making that better will improve everything else in the area.

Recent statistics are showing that 1/5 in the Overland Park/Olathe area are below poverty level..
http://kcur.org/post/one-plan-combat-poverty-kansas-city-area
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
You never know what you might see at Kessler Park. Last week, I was driving past the waterfall near the east end of Cliff Drive, and got to see a bikini model in the middle of a photo shoot. I did a double-take and about wrecked my car! ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
Well Jack, I wasn't insinuating that Heineken is good beer....just that it's better than Schlitz.  Of course it ain't HopSlam.  :-D

Mike Hyzer:  Seriously, bikini models?  I gotta play Cliff Drive more often.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
You would be amazed at how many photo shoots happen within Cliff Drive, and along the entire park, it is not that uncommon to see them at least once a week when the weather is nice.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Well Jack, I wasn't insinuating that Heineken is good beer....just that it's better than Schlitz.  Of course it ain't HopSlam.  :-D

Mike Hyzer:  Seriously, bikini models?  I gotta play Cliff Drive more often.

Well, it was only the one gal and it was the first time I'd seen anything like that at Cliff. She had some lovely lady lumps and looked damned good in that waterfall, they ought to get more ladies like that out there as it would really help beautify the park.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen the waterfall.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
It's near the east end of Cliff Drive. Next time you go there on a weekday, enter the Drive through the gate that's down the hill from #14 pad and head east. After you go over the bridge above Chestnut, you'll come to a fork. Stay left and continue along and you'll eventually see the waterfall on your right. The last gate is right after the waterfall. I believe all of Cliff Drive is only 2.6 miles, so it won't be too far a drive.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555