Author Topic: What is your favorite basket?  (Read 3257 times)

coops

What is your favorite basket?
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
Feel free to post substantive arguments in support of your vote. I couldn't figure out how to add more option so I just included the most common to the area.

You can also say why you don't like other baskets. Be specific. Try to use facts and to stay away from hyperbole or other such unsubstantiated claims.

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite basket?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
Any basket without a distracting sheetmetal band wrapped around the top.
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »
I love the **** out of my machlite baskets. I take those things everywhere. They catch about 85% as good as a mach V. They take about 45 sec to put up or take down. They fit in my back seat no problem.
Adam Johnson

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
if you have not seen or played the titan target, you should not be allowed to vote because you would be sadly ignorant of their beauty, durability and abilities. my 2 cents, and yes they are expensive. best permanent baskets available.
espouse elucidation

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »
No love for the Arroyo or no experience?

Olpe, KS (10 mi south of Emporia) has Disc Nation Liberty baskets.  I was fairly impressed with them.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »
Specifically bright powder coated Mach V.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

coops

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
I would have put more options but couldn't figure out how to add more on the poll.

Any basket without a distracting sheetmetal band wrapped around the top.

If you get distracted by sheet metal it sounds like the basket it the least of your issues.

if you have not seen or played the titan target, you should not be allowed to vote because you would be sadly ignorant of their beauty, durability and abilities. my 2 cents, and yes they are expensive. best permanent baskets available.

I would love to play on them but haven't had the chance. I have putted on a Titan portable and it was lovely. Based on reputation this would be my second choice.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:15 AM »
Will assume the Discatcher Pro 28 has the inner chains preinstalled? 
Me like that the chastity belt gets in folks' heads.  -CLUNK-  :o

Not sure if I've ever thrown a course outfitted with Titans...?
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
What I don't understand is why Monkey Traps aren't in this discussion!?!?  8)

If you're reading this Russ, you know I love ya...but if you don't hit bottom right, your basket ain't catchin s%*&
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »
I am going to be as clear as I can with this.  Sit in meetings for decades and listen to the arguments about everything that has nothing to do with disc golf for hours and then make a decision about what you feel you can argue about.

I have been shall I say a little surprised over the years on what people think are important.

Let me give you one fine example.  I am sitting in a meeting with a lady that I have seen at other northland area meetings, she is always passionate about her views, just as most people are.  She is now I realize talking about Water Works Park, and the need to historically preserve the entire area and dedicate a memorial to the all the work that was done and the efforts to drive the community to the location that has long gone unnoticed in years of blatant neglect about the park.

I am talking about "Terrapin Station" she says.  Now that previous summer upon Barry Martin passing the decision was made to honor Barry's efforts over the years to keep the station cleaned, have flowers up and around it and a plaque was approved by the EC for Cashen to make.

Yet I spent over 7 minutes of my life hearing about this historically significant landmark that was created by disc golfers, by a community loving individual that obviously noticed the signage at some point and thought to take action.

I feel that is one item that many in here may get a kick out of, but there are seriously thousands of hours that I have spent in meetings and community gatherings that would make your head spin.

Colorful baskets are not what people want in their parks typically, especially neighborhood parks, the term NIMBY has already cost us in the are 3 courses that I can think of, so part of my own format in creating presentations that align with multiple groups is to show how the courses can blend in, not stick out.  This is achieved with DGA baskets much more successfully than Innova's models are.

There may come a point and time when pwople want it to look bigger and badder in the parks, and at times more remote location parks it does make sense, but throughout most of our urban courses, (including SMP, they were extremely decisive on no Innova-didn't like the Olathe look within the park they said-they did their homework as well, visiting all the courses) it has been stated over and over that this is the model that will be in place.

I am not going to fight for something that personally I think is moderately trivial (basket selection) over something that I already feel is the standard in the sport.

Again that is me, but I love telling this Terrapin Station story, every time I think of it, I smile!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
Titan baskets are absolutely wonderful, especially the latest model.  NO arguments about them with me Danger, other than the basket on the Wonderland model allowing them to go through it.  I am pretty sure David got that fixed in the last model version.

The bottom line though.  I like the baskets in the park.  The baskets missing from the parks are my least favorite.  I applaud those that work to get any park to allow the sport in it, and as such feel free to pick and choose what you and the parks or land owner agree on.

The rest of this is simply fodder to ease the day behind the screen!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »
You might have to clarify what you mean by your story, Jack. I, and I'm sure others, don't understand your point.

As to this 'visual pollution' argument I'll offer three main points. Firstly, if this really is their consideration, how and why do they allow gaudy playgrounds to be installed? They are giant and monstrous and offensive to the look and feel of a park. If out tiny little baskets visually pollute an area then so do these things. Secondly, don't get yellow! http://www.innovadiscs.com/targets/discatcher-pro/custom-discatcher-pro.html The glossy green or the navy blue look wonderful on there and they don't stick out like a sore thumb. In many ways they would 'match' the aesthetic of the area with a similar color scheme and an outdoor-sy vibe. Thirdly, oft times the plain metal-grey baskets look dumpy. They make the sport look like it is created by hoodlums with scrap metal. Some of these other choices look professional and not like they were made by someone in their backyard.

The bottom line though.  I like the baskets in the park.  The baskets missing from the parks are my least favorite.  I applaud those that work to get any park to allow the sport in it, and as such feel free to pick and choose what you and the parks or land owner agree on.

And can we stop the high and mighty 'as soon as you go out and do work for the course argument?' It is hackneyed and falsely appeals to authority. Just because someone is doing work doesn't mean that they are doing it right. Remember those people that cut the tree on new 13 at Olathe? I'm sure they thought they were improving the course. I mean who wants trees in the middle of the fairway. They went out and did work, and it just so happens that they were wrong.

Now, let's keep it issues focused. I look forward to the substantive arguments that can be made about my defenses of the DISCatchers.

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
Coop, here is a poll I did on DGCR a few months ago. Might give you a better idea as to what the preferred is on the forum at least.

coops

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
Great Ian! I had thought about scouring that forum but hadn't gotten around to it.

It looks like the theory holds that the DISCatcher is preferred and the Mach V is better than the Mach III.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
First world problems people! Get the hell out of KC for a disc golf weekend and you'll quickly realize you are all spoiled.

Seriously, one man's opinion is just that, an opinion. I am happy to throw at any basket, even the one's that spit out solid putts because it is free to play and I enjoy it regardless.

I wish I had time to argue about baskets, create polls, and work against the efforts of the few.

Okay, now everyone prove me wrong, or contradict, since that seems to be the flavor of this forum lately.

Personal Leadership here peeps!